Optimum memory for TS2009 and TS2010

johnwhelan

WindWalkr made a couple of posts yesterday that indicate both TS2009 and TS2010 can make use more than 2 gigs when running under a 64 bit operating system.

So the optimum memory now becomes 6 gigs under 64 bit Vista or Win 7, 4 gigs for Trainz and a gig for the operating system.

Cheerio John

John,
I thought vista used 2gig for its o/s?

You can run XP on a machine with 256 mb of memory, it likes 512m of memory for itself, Vista isn't that much worse and you can just about run programs on a 1 gig system with Vista, so give it a gig to itself and its happy.

Trainz isn't going to use more than 4 gigs and on most motherboards the best option for memory is 6 gigs so that would leave 2 gigs for Vista to play in.

Defining how much an operating system needs is a bit odd, it can use virtual memory if the physical memory is too small and it will cache hard drives if you give it 12 gigs of memory.

Win 7 is a better bet these days.

Cheerio John

On reading your post it would be a good option to upgrade to win7 therefore utilising my 6 gigs of ram optimizing trainz performance. At the moment I use xp.

On reading your post it would be a good option to upgrade to win7 therefore utilising my 6 gigs of ram optimizing trainz performance. At the moment I use xp.

Win 7 64 bit would be best if you are running TS2009 or TS2010.

Cheerio John

When I had my first computer, it was an old eMachines with a 1.2 GHz Intel Celeron, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD, and Windows XP Home (And an old 17" CRT monitor :eek: ). I almost thought I could run Trainz on it :D , but it never happened.

But on topic, I can see why more than 4 GB is useful, and I can tell the difference of performance on big routes on 32 vs. 64 bit for me. I have 8 GB RAM, so on Vista 64, I have no issues, but 32 bit and routes like Dermmy's Clovis Sub and the MoPac - Route of the Eagle, I can easily run out of memory running multiple long trains.

Last edited:
Ok, 6GB of RAM. Does it really make any difference if you go for 'faster' RAM? Like DDR3 over DDR2 or 1600Mhz over 1333Mhz?

Paul

Depends on the speed of your CPU in mhz and the type of your graphics card as in DDR3/DDR2/DDR5. Match them up and it's got to help.

There is no reason to match up the ddr5 of video card to your system Ram.
The more memory you have the slower your memory timing are. You can buy really fast timing memory in 2 GB sticks but it would even be faster in a 512 stick. Like everything in life you need a balance of space and speed. I recomend that you get the fastest memory your cpu can support DDR_. The magic number is about 4 GB of ram 2 GB for your OS and 2 GB for your program and kill everything in your startup and task bar.

There is no reason to match up the ddr5 of video card to your system Ram.
The more memory you have the slower your memory timing are. You can buy really fast timing memory in 2 GB sticks but it would even be faster in a 512 stick. Like everything in life you need a balance of space and speed. I recomend that you get the fastest memory your cpu can support DDR_. The magic number is about 4 GB of ram 2 GB for your OS and 2 GB for your program and kill everything in your startup and task bar.

Under a 64 bit operating system TS2009 and TS2010 can use up to 4 gigs each then you have the operating system on top so I'm not quite certain why you are saying the magic number is 4 gigs?

Cheerio John

Ok, 6GB of RAM. Does it really make any difference if you go for 'faster' RAM? Like DDR3 over DDR2 or 1600Mhz over 1333Mhz?

Paul

Depends on your system and if it can make use of the extra speed. Basically the cpu spends most of its time waiting for data from memory so anything that speeds memory up is probably useful. The i7 for example has more interesting caches than other processors. The 6 gig bit is to do with it works memory in three banks, so it doesn't have to wait as long for the memory to be available. It can be configured to use ddr2 in dual channel configuration which is cheaper but you don't get the same performance.

In general ddr5 is faster than ddr3 which in turn is faster than ddr2.

Cheerio John

Back