Cannot enter Driver/Quickdrive.

nicky9499

SSoTW Bot
As above. Whenever I try to drive a train, the route loads, occasionally there are locomotive sounds, but I never get to see anything but the loading screen - before being thrown back into the session list or surveyor.

This is a new installation, on a separate partition from OS, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Local folder, assets.tdx, trainzoptions.txt all copied from previous Vista installation.

Only occurs on one particular route, others do not suffer the same issue.

???

Possibly corrupt asset

I haven't had your exact issue but I create a route once and after many months of adding and removing I found that it wouldn't load in driver. Nothing at all would happen and Trainz would crash.

I figured one of the assets was the problem so I made a new copy of the route and started deleting switches at a section at a time and it worked.

I didn't take note of which switch it was as the section was an old board so I just deleted the board and it's assets and moved on with life.

You don't say what version of Trainz you run, but I had this problem with jaghandree's All Amsterdam Route in TRS2009. Like Goochy, the problem was caused by rogue points' levers (sorry US cousins, "Switch" levers)

In TRS2009, you can just select "Replace Assets" in Surveyor which is quick and easy to do. Try replacing your Switch Levers with Points Motors or Invisible Levers or anything else, save it and then see if Driver loads for you.

(BTW QuickDrive is also a TRS2009 "Rule" which allows changing Time, Weather, Consists etc - this is getting confused "Quickdrive" as the means of going directly from Surveyor to Driver. Can we perhaps establish a protocol amongst Trainzers as to how we can best differentiate between the two on forum posts? Maybe this could be a Christmas Competition?)

Hi Sterrett, sorry for the confusion. I meant going into Driver from Surveyor. Yes, this is TS09 v2.5 build 37625. I'll try replacing the switches/points when I get home and see how things go (in school now).

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Swapping out all switches for the default red levers do not solve the issue.
Neither does removing all trains and placing a single default SD40 to test.

Any ideas? I'd say reinstalling would be my last resort.

I had the same problem and I made some noise in another post. The route was complex with all the settings, industries an all. properly set. At the end I had to make a copy of the map and made a new session, and after two weeks of working I have made another almost exact session. Now: There is 2010 coming. Will this happen again? Just if we could copy all the industry settings, turnouts radius of action, invisible speed indicators and the other particular settings of a session, it would not matter if a session goes to fritz, just make another with the saved settings and up we go. Has anybody in Auran ever looked into this?

I had this problem myself. It turns out I had a faulty "ghost" consist on the track. I had no idea what it was but I couldn't see it nor delete it. It showed up on my mini-map. I was finally able to remove it by adding a train car, moving it so it attached itself to the invisible consist. I then switch to consist mode and removed the whole consist.

I'm not sure what it was, but I might have accidentally added a very faulty train car that had no model.

Are you running in compatibility mode? If not, turn it on (a checkbox in options) and see if that helps.

Creating fresh session worked - partly. Excluding the fact that I have to redo every single variable and rule, the game now has the "disappearing wheels" syndrome again. :( Other routes are not affected.

In the past I could solve this by removing all trains. Now though, all I have on the entire route is the default HD SD40-2.

???

At this point in time I don't think it would be unreasonable to bump this thread. The issue as it stands is still unresolved and Trainz is unplayable.

G'day Nicholas,
Can you cdp your route, session ensuring all the assets are included, email it to me and i'll try it on my trainz ver 09 to see if it version dependent issue.

Swapping out all switches for the default red levers do not solve the issue.
Neither does removing all trains and placing a single default SD40 to test.

Any ideas? I'd say reinstalling would be my last resort.

Last edited:
Thank you for the offer, Goochy. I know how to make a .cdp of the route (as regular backups) but am unsure how to locate all off-DLS assets used by the route (pretty sure they're in the hundreds) to include in the package. Someone please advise.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

CDP files

Ok, Nicholas,

I have build 40040. This may become important as to what assets are 'Built-in'.

Find your session, right click and select 'View dependencies', then 'View in main list', this will list all the assets needed for the session/route.

Click on the column 'Status' so all the LOCAL content is listed in order. now use the CTRL key and SHIFT key and combinations to allow you to unselect the 'Built in' content except for the ones that have been modified.

You can continue to right mouse any of the entries and 'View in main list' to again display only those selected.

You should end up with a quite short list (depending on how many assets you have downloaded/modified) that you can pack into a CDP file.

When I receive your CDP, i'll import the CDP and anything still missing or needed I will email you back so you can send those to me.

I know it is a long winded thing but I really hate missing out on using Trainz on a favorite route as I am sure your feeling now and at least this way we can narrow down the list of assets that is causing the issue.

Besides, someone else who is watching this thread may find the method interesting and if we find an offending asset, may save someone else some grief.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sorry for the slow reply as I was staying over at a friend's place yesterday. I'll pack the cdp and drop you a pm containing a link to the file by today.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

I'm sorry Goochy, my Trainz is currently acting up again. This time nothing happens when I launch it (werfault.exe - Windows Error Reporting comes up instead). Even tried reinstalling and copying back the Local folder (forgot to try it immediately after install though) but no joy. Have fired off a ticket to helpdesk.

Also, starting tomorrow (30th) I have a four-day Outward Bound camp. Due to such circumstances, this issue will have to hold until I get back. Apologies for the delay, thank you for your offer to assist nevertheless.

Regards,
Nicholas.

When the Quick-drive menu selection in Surveyor is used, it skips the initialization process in Driver. So, any assets that require initialization do not get initialized. I quit using this menu selection. It doesn't take that much more effort to close Surveyor and open Driver.

Back