Curved Embankments

Screamingman14

I'm working on a route, and I was wondering if there was a reliable way of making curved slopes/embankments (for a train to enter a tunnel, for example). I can use the "slope" surveyor tool, but that only generates straight ones. Can any routebuilders please give me some assistance?

Ghaaa! This should go in the Surveyor, etc. thread, can it be moved there?

Last edited:
The is one built-in "embankment" spline, and there are others on the DLS, under the (asset) name "Banks", and under the name "Cliff". If you're able to go the payware route, Sir Gibby has payware cliff splines available; if you purchased the Murchison2 Add-on to TRS 2009, these are included.

ns

I didn't mean like that. I'm talking about the "slope" surveyor tool setting, where you select the land and it makes a gradient. Is there a way to do that over a curve?

Ah. Another instance of being separated by what seems to be a common language. When I am referring the the particular slant you're trying to achieve, I generally use the term "grade" or "gradient". Also, it would be helpful to know what type of track (fixed track, or track splines) you are using, and in general, what Version of Trainz you are running.

If you are using fixed track there are several methods to achieve what you want to do. The first step in several of them is to place a spline object (Preferably a fence, or a road: because spline track objects will attach to fixed track objects, there are complications in using track spline objects which do not come into play if one is using non-track spline objects; use of the wider spline elements, like the 200 m wide forest, would also be a bit cumbersome.) down the centerline of the track, clicking on each point where two pieces of fixed track join. If you're using long pieces of fixed track--for example, 1000 meter long segments, or curved segments with long radii, you may want to click extra spline nodes between points where track segments join; if you're using very short ones, you may not need to click on every one. Next, access the "Advanced" submenu of the spline object menu by clicking on "advanced". You'll see two rows of buttons. The button on the left end of the top row adjusts the vertex height of a spline. Click this button to select it, and then click on a vertex, and you can adjust the height of the spline vertex at this point by moving the mouse up or down. Move the mouse along the line of spline vertices, adjusting each one as necessary. When you have adjusted all of the vertices, click to select the last button on the "right", "smooth spline", and click on each spline segment, and the height of the terrain at the spline will adjust to the level of the spline, presumably moving the fixed track pieces with it. When you have finished remove the spline.

A related method would use the left two buttons on the bottom row, and the entry bar between them. The left most button is "get vertex height". The bar is a place showing the height, and by clicking on athe bar, one can also enter a specific height value. The center button is labeled "apply vertex height". Select the "get vertex height" button, and click on a spline vertex that is at the desired height. Then estimate the desired height of the next vertex, double click on the bar containing the height value to access the "entry" mode, and type the estimated value in the bar. Next, select the "apply vertex height" button to the right of the entry bar and click on the next vertex. Use the "smooth spline" button as above.

A third option is to replace the fixed track with a spline track object, use the spline track tools (which are similar to the ones for non-track spline tools, except that they provide a means of entering and applying specific gradients), and when the infrastructure has the desired gradient, replace the track again with the fixed track.

ns

Back