Shortcut for generating trees

goochy

G'day,

The SHIFT CTRL ALT P does a good job of generating a landscape, but I was wondering is there another that will leave the terrain alone and just generate random trees and textures?

I have used Transdem to generate a an area but until I have researched the actual flora, I would like to populate the route to see what it could possibly look like instead of just seeing the 'snow covered' look.

Oh, like the Sandbox Editor in Crysis?? Don't think so. I belive there was a command in an older version of Trainz - "Make me a Map" or something.

Other from that you could make some different large areas of trees, then "copy and paste" them to other places on the map, moving some of the trees afterwords at random to avoid a repeating pattern. Easy way to get alot of trees out quickly.

Oh, like the Sandbox Editor in Crysis?? Don't think so. I belive there was a command in an older version of Trainz - "Make me a Map" or something.

Other from that you could make some different large areas of trees, then "copy and paste" them to other places on the map, moving some of the trees afterwords at random to avoid a repeating pattern. Easy way to get alot of trees out quickly.

Good idea & may work well on my TGV route.

You can rotate the 'paste' area giving you four different views, combine this with partially overlaying an area already done and there is plenty of variation :D add a different type of tree here and there by hand and you can fill a very large area very quickly ;)

Remember to go through and move or delete tree's growing out of cliff's, not many tree's grow on an 80degree slope :hehe:

Cheers David

The SHIFT CTRL ALT P does a good job of generating a landscape, but I was wondering is there another that will leave the terrain alone and just generate random trees and textures?
Only way I know is what you list then use the terrain tools with the largest radius to reset the terrain to 0 and there you go.

Actually, it did. I don't remember what the key sequence is though. Control-Shift-'something' I think. Perhaps someone else knows.

Bill

Making a forest in TS any version is incredibly quick and easy. Just place a selection of random trees to a reasonable size area, with a texture mix underneath if desired. Select and copy trees (plus texture if requires) then use the paste tool to place these rotating as required. These will all be level with the terrain (unlike RailFailWorks which leaves pasted items hanging in mid-air and won't copy textures :eek: ).

Some tidying up will be needed around the edges and don't forget if you paste on top of already placed 3D objects (not splines) then the paste function will over-ride (delete) any of these. Bit embarrasing when you find disconnected track splines and missing level crossing...d'oh. :'(

The only issue is possibly a performance one as earlier versions of Trainz running on yesterday's hardware struggled a bit when drawing all those trees. However if you keep the main forest to two or three tree types you should be alright, I tend to place trees out to 1.5 - 2km from the track if required then just texture any distant hills.

Making a forest in TS any version is incredibly quick and easy. Just place a selection of random trees to a reasonable size area, with a texture mix underneath if desired. Select and copy trees (plus texture if requires) then use the paste tool to place these rotating as required. These will all be level with the terrain (unlike RailFailWorks which leaves pasted items hanging in mid-air and won't copy textures :eek: ).

Some tidying up will be needed around the edges and don't forget if you paste on top of already placed 3D objects (not splines) then the paste function will over-ride (delete) any of these. Bit embarrasing when you find disconnected track splines and missing level crossing...d'oh. :'(

The only issue is possibly a performance one as earlier versions of Trainz running on yesterday's hardware struggled a bit when drawing all those trees. However if you keep the main forest to two or three tree types you should be alright, I tend to place trees out to 1.5 - 2km from the track if required then just texture any distant hills.

Tell me about it,I spent all day "treeing up" my TGV route & in driver mode it ran slower than a slug on a saltbed so now it's back to work deleting all those trees & trying a different approach to placing scenery.

Mass deletion of trees is as easy as producing them in the first place. Clear the trees from a patch of textured ground and then do a copy/paste/paste/paste/etc (but with just content items checked). When you do that, the trees on the patch are "replaced" by NO trees.

It beats the heck out of individually clicking on a tree to make it go away.

Bill

Mass deletion of trees is as easy as producing them in the first place. Clear the trees from a patch of textured ground and then do a copy/paste/paste/paste/etc (but with just content items checked). When you do that, the trees on the patch are "replaced" by NO trees.

It beats the heck out of individually clicking on a tree to make it go away.

Bill

I used the splines of pine trees along the route,now I'm trying my luck with C&P'ing some randomly placed building elements along the route instead but it's not going along as easily,or as quickly as I'd like....I'll post more details about it in my TGV thread.

I think that by using the "pine spline" & the extra forestry sound effects that come along with them is simply maxing out my system (I need a better video card)....I could just leave the majority of the map empty but then it just doesn't look as good at all.

Which way impacts performance the least

Most of us have used both methods - the copy/paste of tree objects and the use of the many good multi-specie tree splines on DLS.

My question: To get X number of varied trees on a mountainside, will a multi-specie tree spline OR a multi-specie copy/paste of tree objects have the lesser unfavorable impact on Trainz performance (important to those of us with less than optimal video cards)

Back