How to backup trainz?

evan123

I'm going to reformat my PC real soon, but I have lots of gigs of downloaded content for TS09, how can I back it all up? or is there an easier way of doing this? I have an external harddrive that I can use, I just dont know how to get all the data backed up.

Probably the easiest way is to archive all your local non-builtin content. There is a limit to the size of each archive file (can somebody give a definitive value for this please) so one method would be to archive by category e.g. locos, rolling stock, industry etc. When you have re-installed TS2009, you can then re-import the archives by adding them to the archive list in settings and then importing them.

Make a backup of the folder called "local" (found in the TS2009 install directory) to a save location.

Now re-install Trainz.

Now use CM2 to import the local folder. This part will take a while, but if you are using default settings it will also commit the items as well. Best to go to the open for edit tab to check that everything has been committed though.

Zec

Zec, I hadn't thought of that. :eek: Is it possible to import the 2006 folder into 2009 using the same way as I am about to install Windows 7 and intend to only install TS2009 this time round.

It should do, however I haven't tested it myself. I would recommend doing a test of it on a new 09 install, just in case :) Probably best to make a backup of the 06 local folder, do the windows reinstall, and then try it on the new 09 install. If it doesn't work, just need to re-install 09 :)
Zec

Well I reformatted, it was a mess but I'm here now its working.

It's archived as .CMPA file... What do I do?

In 2009 open up your file, settings window and select the Archives tab if not already open. Click on Add and navigate to your archive folder and select the required .cmpa file (if I remember you can only select one at a time so you will have to repeat this as many times as necessary). Save, then open the archiver panel and click on the button beside Archiver. This will display the list of archives. Select the one you want and the window will fill and you will get a pop-up asking is you want to install all of them.

As an aside, deleting an archive from the 2009 list does not delete the actual archive, only 2009's knowledge of its existance.

BAcking the game up is a joke. I back a route up in CMP and first time it worked then after i edited the route then backed it up again. I unstalled trainz for a while. Then i put trainz back in and uploaded to route and let it download the objects now my CMP gets messed up when it downloads objects and you try to run the game and it freezes. The route and Objects i used were from 2004 and down.

It should do, however I haven't tested it myself. I would recommend doing a test of it on a new 09 install, just in case :) Probably best to make a backup of the 06 local folder, do the windows reinstall, and then try it on the new 09 install. If it doesn't work, just need to re-install 09 :)
Zec

Importing TRS2006 content from its local folder works well, however beaware that many of the items in 2006 are included in 2009. There will be a dialog box that comes up regarding skipping or overwriting content. Be sure to choose the skip all because the program will slog through the built-in stuff only to have wasted a lot of time in the process. It's also important to note that there is some new content in 2009, and many of these items are also up on the DLS. The skip-all will skip over this stuff too and save the time needed to import your assets.

John

Back