Northeast Corridor

Very Confused

i have a situation

I had to do sunny side yards over again because I wanted it to be realistic. But I came to a huge problem; I am not sure if Southbound trains go through a different tunnel. Can someone explain the flow of the trains from the platforms to the end of the yard?:confused::confused::confused:

Is this going all the way from Boston to Washington? There must have been 5 NEC routes in the works but none of them were released. The only one available is Philly-Wilmington and it doesn't match with DEM. Like if I try to add DEM south of Wilmington, it is off, it doesn't match, the track doesn't match up at merge point. Is yours DEM or just flat baseboards guessing at track placement and mileage?

Somebody is already doing this. I forgot his name but his thread is on the screenshots forum.

NEC

At Gaurc-Terrainz site
There are all kinds of DEM's made by Fishlipsatwork
Scroll down to: Phillydelphia-Washington DC (17) http://www.gaurc.us/?page_id=160
It is absolutely a huge massive DEM !

Of course you will need HOG Textures:
Scroll down to HOG v 1.1.8: http://www.gaurc.us/index_files/software.htm

Neuman's-NEC is a very nice, good quality, route that portrays the Phila-Wilmington line very well indeed...but it is set at flat baseboard (0.00m) height.

I like driving the A-23 Jet Sled on this route at speeds of +798 mph...WoW...it really flies !

Last edited:
Is this going all the way from Boston to Washington? There must have been 5 NEC routes in the works but none of them were released. The only one available is Philly-Wilmington and it doesn't match with DEM. Like if I try to add DEM south of Wilmington, it is off, it doesn't match, the track doesn't match up at merge point. Is yours DEM or just flat baseboards guessing at track placement and mileage?

Answers:
Track milewage and placement and direction will all be accurate. I dont know what you mean by DEM but when the track elevates at certain times in real life it will elevate on the route. And I am aware someone else is doing the route I just wanted to because I was interested in it as well. Also, I dont think im gonna download the terrain for D.C.because I have already done alot to Union Station and Ivy City and I dont want to start over, but I might look into the stretch between Perryvile, MD to Wilmington. On a side note has anyone ever rode on a train in sunny side yards or knows alot about the area and where the north and south bound tracks are?

I too made this route based around 1950's\60's and of course time \ resources made me knock it down to just south of Penn Station to a bit north of Perryville. I included the Columbia route that forks up past Connowingo as well as the B&O line that runs parallel to the PRR. I used HOG with DEM \ Tiger data to help with the layout. Unfortunately my HD failed and I lost most of my work.

So that is my advice - get an external drive and backup your creation. It will save you much grief. I've started the work again but switched gears to doing a MA&PA route. I'm looking forward to implementing this with speedtree...

Last edited:
i have a situation

I had to do sunny side yards over again because I wanted it to be realistic. But I came to a huge problem; I am not sure if Southbound trains go through a different tunnel. Can someone explain the flow of the trains from the platforms to the end of the yard?:confused::confused::confused:
When the train pulls into Penn Station heading Northbound(doesn't matter if it is Amtrak, NJT or LIRR) They all have access to a pair of tunnels that head northeasterly to sunny side yard.

So only northbound though right?

Also sorry to hear that ZikChil; I have planned to put my route on an external drive.

So only northbound though right?

Also sorry to hear that ZikChil; I have planned to put my route on an external drive.
They still go through the tunnel from sunny side yard to penn station, then through the other tunnel on the other side of penn station to NJ.

but do southbound trains enter a tunnel that isnt near the northbound tunnel in sunny side yards going into penn station?

Does any1 know where i could get somethin like this?
SignAmtrak-1.jpg

Update on Northeast Corridor Route

Here's an update on the route:
View of the track from the parking garage
UnionTracks.jpg

K Tower to the right

UnionTracksGround.jpg

Tracks right outside the platforms
UnionTracksGroundCloser.jpg

Birds eye view of Union Station
BirdsEyeUnion.jpg

Is anyone interested in creating catenary poles that look like the ones in Wilmington at the station? They look like this:
Wilmington.jpg

The difference is they are taller than the normal poles and have a diagonal pole between the outside poles

Thanks

Why not just use conventional Pennsylvania Railroad catenary supports? I mean, those are just essentially the original Pennsylvania Railroad catenary supports, just with a high voltage power line on top. That is part of a path, that parallels the NEC until Trainer, Pennsylvania where they form a seperate path to a PECO (Pennsylvania Electric Company) substation and near Bell Tower, where the Edgemoor line breaks off and heads to serve the industries, those power lines serve a substation. The diagonal pole is not a pole at all, but it is a support to hold the line up.

Last edited:
Back