Just a patch?

Mordachai

I started reading the post about who thought about buying TS2010 and started to write a post there but found that I'd better make it a thread of it's own.

Since TS2010 seems to be 2009 with Speed treez I'd say it should have been a patch or add-on for 2009 rather than a completely new product.

It's rather obvious, and has been for at least a year and a half, that Auran just is trying to squeeze more and more money from us while doing less and less work. The list of examples is getting rather long. The new routes for 2009 are user made and would most likely been a lot less expensive as payware from the creators than they are from Auran. One of the have even been released before and now they charge for it again rather than supply an uppgrade!?

Auran will have to spend some time on the REAL l issues like how points work and look, AI, sound etc. etc. to get my support again. Nice looking trees are of course very nice but hardly essential, and if you look at it critically Speed Tree is just another attempt of adding content they don't have to spend much time on. Adding more and more glazing on a bad bottom will eventually have the cake tople over.

It's quite interesting to see how tha quality of this product have gone down hill since Nevefail took over the ownership. Their priorities doesn't seem to include Trianz in any other way than keeping it alive to raise money for other projects. I don't blame them, I would probably have done the same in their situation but can we please stop trying to convince ourself that they really care about the future of the product? With the new competiotion from RailWorks there are really only two ways to to for Auran with Trainz, either go for it and challange the new comer or give up and pull out.

That said, I really think some of the programers still care for the procduct and that's probably the only thing that keeps the leeky boat afloat.

I think the best thing for the future of Trainz would be that Auran/Neverfail dropped it and made it open source. That way the dedicated programers and content creators would be able to make some payware that we could have wihtout paying fot the development of Shipsimulator 20xx.. etc.
The development of the game could continue as user created plugins for AI, animation etc. Auran could even keep creating content and sell it or re-sell user content! If they'd liked they could keep the DLS and charge a small sum for it... Some servers and bandwith can't be thet expensive?

This is just my humble opinion. I know some of you really worhship Auran and have a hard time to see what might be going on in the background but please try to think about the big picture. I'm probably, and hopefully, not right on all accounts, but something is certainly not right and I'm aboslutely sure that things have to change for the product to live on and propsper.

/Mordachai

It would help if you actually knew what you were talking about.....must have taken a long time to write all that.....nice piece of fiction though....:cool:

OK

It would help if you actually knew what you were talking about.....must have taken a long time to write all that.....nice piece of fiction though....:cool:

So please tell me what really going on then! All is good and the product is developing nicely? Come on...
Please tell me which of the "new" features in TS2010 that's acctually new apart from the treez.
Some basic CAD functionality and tutorials can't really be that hard to implement and could have been added years ago...

I'd be happy if you prove me wrong, but another "you don't know anything" comment is just stupid.

The elitism in these forums is staggering at times...

Last edited by a moderator:
I started reading the post about who thought about buying TS2010 and started to write a post there but found that I'd better make it a thread of it's own.
...snip... I'm probably, and hopefully, not right on all accounts, but ...
/Mordachai

Why are you upset with Sourdough , appears to me he is simply agreeing with your last statement ?

In my opinion , one who starts a thread with the topic of Auran's future , they better be accurate and they better be ready for some feed back !

--- ,DLR

Since I don't have your ability to look into the future and know that 2010 will be a piece of junk when it's released,

I'll just have to wait until it's released and make up my own mind.

Looking forward to 2010
Dave

Last edited:
If I were a new customer, I wouldn't buy something that was last years news. Having said that, I repeat....you don't have to buy it. If you like UTC, use that. Whatever you like.

Please don't buy the 2010 version. I would appreciate it.

Boco

Yep, my crystal ball is broken, so I'm with Dave, looking forward to 2010's release. I'll install it on my machine and form my own opinion of it and if it's anything like the past releases, I'm sure that I will be happy.

So please tell me what really going on then! All is good and the product is developing nicely? Come on...
Please tell me which of the "new" features in TS2010 that's acctually new apart from the treez.
Some basic CAD functionality and tutorials can't really be that hard to implement and could have been added years ago...

I'd be happy if you prove me wrong, but another "you don't know anything" comment is just stupid.

The elitism in these forums is staggering at times...
I don't care so much about the treez, but I care about layers, and that Auran is still developing Trainz.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were a new customer, I wouldn't buy something that was last years news. Having said that, I repeat....you don't have to buy it. If you like UTC, use that. Whatever you like.

Please don't buy the 2010 version. I would appreciate it.

Boco
Then suppost all versions! Yes even those that acually worked!

Patch? Yea, all versions have been patches sort of...without all of them patching into each other.:eek:

"New game, new features"

Well, with the limited funds, they can only work on refining the old Jet-engine. It has infact survived for 10 years now. We have what we have as for now, and it's a great product to work with, given it's limitations.

I can't imagine any game-dev. company starting up fresh making a train-sim with something like the Cry-Engine and DX10. There are simply not enough revenues in that.

OK, let's see if we can look at what Sourdough is talking about.....

Since TS2010 seems to be 2009 with Speed treez I'd say it should have been a patch or add-on for 2009 rather than a completely new product.
‘Seems’ to be to you, but actually isn’t if you spend more than 30 seconds reading the announcement.
It's rather obvious, and has been for at least a year and a half, that Auran just is trying to squeeze more and more money from us while doing less and less work.
Wrong, there is a lot of work going on to bring us the Service Packs, new versions, and add-on content.
The new routes for 2009 are user made and would most likely been a lot less expensive as payware from the creators than they are from Auran.
Wrong, I doubt they would have been cheaper
One of the have even been released before and now they charge for it again rather than supply an uppgrade!?
Wrong again, All have been released before
It's quite interesting to see how tha quality of this product have gone down hill since Nevefail took over the ownership.
I have to disagree with that too.
Their priorities doesn't seem to include Trianz in any other way than keeping it alive to raise money for other projects.
Wrong once more, what other projects? They only have Trainz.
I don't blame them, I would probably have done the same in their situation but can we please stop trying to convince ourself that they really care about the future of the product?
I think you’ll find they do care, as mentioned above, Trainz is all that’s paying the programmers wages.
With the new competiotion from RailWorks there are really only two ways to to for Auran with Trainz, either go for it and challange the new comer or give up and pull out.
Railworks is a flawed product, it may look pretty but that is where the challenge ends.
That said, I really think some of the programers still care for the procduct
Agreed, hoorah, we agree on something. :)
I think the best thing for the future of Trainz would be that Auran/Neverfail dropped it and made it open source.
Like the people likely to work on it as open source would be able to agree on what to do, a recipe for chaos IMHO.
That way the dedicated programers and content creators would be able to make some payware that we could have wihtout paying fot the development of Shipsimulator 20xx.. etc.
Wrong once more I’m afraid (how many times is that now?) Auran/Neverfail don’t develop Ship Simulator, they only publish it.
This is just my humble opinion.
Yep, as this is all mine.
I know some of you really worhship Auran and have a hard time to see what might be going on in the background but please try to think about the big picture.
Some of us know what goes on behind the scenes, and those that pay attention know the big picture.
I'm probably, and hopefully, not right on all accounts,
Agree again.

Mike.

OK, let's see if we can look at what Sourdough is talking about.....

‘Seems’ to be to you, but actually isn’t if you spend more than 30 seconds reading the announcement.

Wrong, there is a lot of work going on to bring us the Service Packs, new versions, and add-on content.

Wrong, I doubt they would have been cheaper

Wrong again, All have been released before

I have to disagree with that too.

Wrong once more, what other projects? They only have Trainz.

I think you’ll find they do care, as mentioned above, Trainz is all that’s paying the programmers wages.

Railworks is a flawed product, it may look pretty but that is where the challenge ends.

Agreed, hoorah, we agree on something. :)

Like the people likely to work on it as open source would be able to agree on what to do, a recipe for chaos IMHO.

Wrong once more I’m afraid (how many times is that now?) Auran/Neverfail don’t develop Ship Simulator, they only publish it.

Yep, as this is all mine.

Some of us know what goes on behind the scenes, and those that pay attention know the big picture.

Agree again.

Mike.

Dear Mike,
Good to see that you've taken the opertunity to state your opinion. And that's just what it is YOUR opinion, nothing else, just as I stated MY opinion. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and and no opinion is really wrong, just different. The only fact that you acctually added was that all three routes have been released previously, which adds to my cause if you've read and understood what I meant.

My opinion is that there a lot more pressing issues with Trainz than adding trees and some new content. For instance (in my opinion)the AI is utterly flawed and all tries to make interesting driving sessions involves hours for trail and error, different tricks and a fair bit of swearing.

I've tried several times by now but since it's virtually impossible to really discuss anything at all in here with quite a few of the "hardcore people" I'll just leave it. You've decided to be selfproclaimed crusaders for Trainz with a religious belief that all Auran do is good.

I suspect most of us are grateful to Auran for developing and suporting as well as they have, far better than any one else with a railroad sim, Trainz and apreciative of the great many hours of joy Auran has made posible. Yes, unlike windows 7, it is not perfect but it is certainly the best.
If you think it is too costly, try filling your garage with a model railroad.:eek:

Thank you Auran.

I too must thank Auran for a great, (a really great), product. I don't spend much time actually driving the trainz around..........I do spend a lot of time creating routes. I use the sim in the aspect of "world creation" and the added ability of train routes is a bonus.

I think it is amazing that I can use content in TS2009 created for 2004. The SimCity series couldn't do that. Also very cool is the track laying. Turnouts are effortless to create. Terraforming tools make creating landscapes a cinch. Splines are a marvelous approach to adding content.

I can go on and on.

Okay, I will!

Murchison2..............read the forums. Nothing but praise for the product. I load it up and watch with amazement at the detail. The landscape, people, cars n trucks, trainz, birds, thunderstorms with real lightning bolts striking the ground, fog, rivers n waterfalls, buildings and industry. Murchison2 was worth every penny I paid for it and I got the added bonus of getting to use all the content in my own creations. How cool is that?

I'll be buying 2010 when available just to support Auran so they can keep supplying me with this stuff.

The DLS was a problem for me in the beginning. I couldn't download anything. A download would start and never finish. I then bought a FCT and have downloaded about 600 meg of content without any problems.

Randy

Back