Should We Electrify Freight RR?

DMUs can operate anywhere. They would have the advantage that the smaller engines can be started or stopped depending on the load, rather than having a huge engine that runs all the time.
In any case, it wouldn't apply to freight. Although Japan does have EMU container cars.

:cool:Claude

The main reason (at least in the US) that passenger trains are locomotive hauled is a case of limitations. Keep in mind, much of the US is not electric powered. Ok, nearly ALL of it isn't. If you had a series of dedicated EMU's, then they'd only be able to operate on electric lines. As opposed to having an electric locomotive and coaching stock. At the end of the line, the loco can always be removed but the coaches continue on under diesel power.

Simple: Dual-powered MU's. Sure, its probably gonna kill all of the old-fashioned railfanner's desire to see an F40 or a P42 pulling some Amfleets or Viewliners, but I doubt railway companies are in for the pleasing of rail enthusiasts(usually). I think that MU's are more formal as opposed to the loco-hauled consist. Therefore, leading to more affordability(less stock needed = lower cost), duality, and streamlined, sleek appearance, and happy customers.

Hi All: You know I was just reading about how many Light Rail projects the US has..This seems to me would fit right in with the Subject at hand..If the Freight RR did there Mainlines they would go together..Commuter Rail could also benefit from it, trackage rights could be set up..Team Effort..

Bob Cass:) :)

Commuter rail and freight don't always go together. When Amtrak worked over the NEC for fast service, freight railroads except locals moved off the line and several lengths of the NEC received additional track so locals would not interfere with fast Acelas. Freight tends to operate at lower speeds so having freight on the same rails is bad in some places like when a local stops for dropoffs/pickups and the commuter wants to pass.

On another note, instead of starting a seperate thread, I'll post a news bit here since it is related. Earlier today, CNN had a story about how some type of voltage loss in Northern New Jersey resulted first in slowing then stopping all trains between Northern NJ and Manhatten on the NEC, all Amtrak and NJ Transit. This cascaded into stopped trains up and down the NEC. One of the camera shots showed an electric message board that started with, "Due to low voltage..." but switched before I saw the rest. Haven't found anything else on it yet.

Hi All: I do not understand why we as a Country, stand by and watch china out strip us when it comes to electric RR..I understand it is going to cost big bucks..Why does it take so long in this Country to achive something..Now they are the second largest RR mileage(SP) next to the US..We are so slow in reaction in this Country..

Hi All: I just was reading the email sent to me from the Midwest Passinger Assoc..And they stated that Japan has put in bid to build High Speed Rail here in the US..They said they didn't want to build part of it..They want it all, the whole system..A little competion for France..

Hi All: I'll bet if each RR were to be challenged to a test of some sort to determine whether they should buy diesel or electrify might be a good way to do it..Maybe pick on a certain hill and do a side by side, or something like that..

Bob Cass :) :)

Japan and France?
People here need work and no American company bid?

Which American companies have the experience?

Seriously, this could be big business, so some American companies really should be forming strategic alliances with foreign companies who have a proven track record, and get the best of both worlds: proven competence, and American jobs.

Paul

I'd be all for that.
Too bad I have no say in how things work.
All I see are news reports with the constant soundbyte, "We need to try new things!" for months.
Thus one of the reasons for the line under my username.

I'd share your concern if any of the proposals were really new. High speed rail and electric freight are all tried and tested around the world. The important thing is to work out what's appropriate to America, and what isn't...

Paul

Hi: I was reading yesterday about China, They have noe ordered 500 Electric locomotives..Wow..They are going all out over there..

Bopb Cass:) :)

Back