Baby run over by train and survives!

tonyvdb

Long time train lover
Baby gets run over by a passenger train in Australia, The mother accidentally let go of her stroller and it rolls off the station platform and down onto the tracks with baby inside!

See here for more details and video. Just amazing!

Hi,

I had forgotten to look this up for everyone, so many thanks tonyvdb.

It is amazing the baby survived, and the mother too. If you look close enough you will see how close the mother was to also fall in the Trains path, when her hand seems to have been hit by the train.

The driver has been praised for applying the brakes so fast, which most likely saved the babies life.

This police said that the Video just shows how quickly something can happen, the mother only just let the stroller go for a second to adjust her clothing. They also pointed out the importance of applying the strollers brakes.

Of course the baby was taken to hospital and released shortly after with only minor scratches.

An amazing escape.

Craig
:):):)

It was a lucky day for them I believe, just how close does it have to be. And on the news this weekend they are advising pram owners to update their prams if they are not fitted with a Brake and now they have a safety strap to attach to the wrist. Now if this was a motor vehicle involved the manufacturer would be required by law to fix these issues, as it is a safety concern. I feel very strongly for the victims here and there was a similar issue with the same type of stroller where the said stroller rolled into a lake in Adelaide and the youngster died. Where can we do something about these strollers?

Hmm,that would be one tough pill to swallow if this happens again but I don't know what they could do to prevent out of control strollers though!:cool:

It was a lucky day for them I believe, just how close does it have to be. And on the news this weekend they are advising pram owners to update their prams if they are not fitted with a Brake and now they have a safety strap to attach to the wrist. Now if this was a motor vehicle involved the manufacturer would be required by law to fix these issues, as it is a safety concern. I feel very strongly for the victims here and there was a similar issue with the same type of stroller where the said stroller rolled into a lake in Adelaide and the youngster died. Where can we do something about these strollers?

The safety concerns such as this raise an important point about off-shored manufacturing where the end-consumer is not located where the manufacturer is. This makes it difficult for the importing country to police the products, and it takes a number of severe and hoffic accidents, lots of news coverage, to eventually force the manufacturers to do something.

A good example is lead paint on children's toys. The Chinese toy manufacturers were using lead paint instead of non-toxic paints. The companies had to be forced to change instead of just doing it, or not using the lead-based products originally. The problem is the big manufacturers have a lot of financial clout with the governments in the exporting and manufacturing countries. They pay off the officials to stay quiet so they can maximize their profits over safety concerns.

John

I agree with that, now that is a dangerous situation to find yourself in when you have a child and not to mention there are trains,maybe if a cell phone was involved,whoever is watching the child should consider paying more attention instead of being distracted, that is what leads to fatalities because some people don't pay attention and they are so busy trying to get that phone call in that they forget the infant's own safety which angers me!:cool:

Wonder if the mother was too busy talking on a cell phone???
According to the news she was about to adjust her pants and you can just see this in the video.

Also, on the news last night I am sure they said that it is now law that any stroller has RED brake locks and that all have the Safety Strap. However this only applies to new models created after a certain date ..... last year from memory. The news also said that the brakes and Safety Strap are very important in Strong winds on a platform.

The video was released to make people more aware of the dangers of taking your eyes off something or young children many things can happen so quickly.

Craig

According to the news she was about to adjust her pants and you can just see this in the video.

Also, on the news last night I am sure they said that it is now law that any stroller has RED brake locks and that all have the Safety Strap. However this only applies to new models created after a certain date ..... last year from memory. The news also said that the brakes and Safety Strap are very important in Strong winds on a platform.

The video was released to make people more aware of the dangers of taking your eyes off something or young children many things can happen so quickly.

Craig

That's all well and good for all new strollers going forward, but what are people going to do with all the older ones? Not everyone has the money to go out and buy all new stuff.

John

Another Lucky Escape

Aouple of days before, a taxi stalled at a level crossing in Melbourne. The driver and passengers were only just able to escape before the taxi was hit by a suburban passenger train

Aouple of days before, a taxi stalled at a level crossing in Melbourne. The driver and passengers were only just able to escape before the taxi was hit by a suburban passenger train

Once again when will they ever learn to pay attention to what they are doing?:eek:

That's all well and good for all new strollers going forward, but what are people going to do with all the older ones? Not everyone has the money to go out and buy all new stuff.

John
John, you are quite correct here. At the moment there would be a lot of people struggling with money matters. While new strollers are fitted with them from now on, this change in rules is a good indication that those in "power" realise there is a serious issue with this sort of problem.

The reason for the release of the Video was to show people how easy it could be for a very serious/fatal situation to occur. I do not know if the some of viewers of this video find that it is something that should not be shown on TV due to a baby being involved.

I am sure that that many people, including me, think that this sort of incident should be shown and to raise the "alarm" of these dangers, not only on a Railway Platform but anywhere.

It was mentioned on the news reports that wind can also be a danger on platforms, though I think they meant anywhere. Just think of a parent with a stroller in strong winds near a road. The high winds blow the stroller into the path of a car. Its not a very nice thought.

Craig

Um... the baby was not run over by the train; he was merely pushed by it. It's an interesting incident this one. I can't recall ever hearing about anything similar. In fact, it makes me wonder what incline that plaform was at, as that pram moved pretty quickly for what appears to be a flat surface. I do hope his mother doesn't do something so careless again, otherwise this time her child might not be so lucky. I feel sorry for the driver though. He must've been scared out of his wits for the rest of the day, if not the entire week.

WileeCoyote:D

No, it was even worse than a simple "stall". It was about 22:30 on Sunday 11th October when the taxi driver and the two passengers (who the local media reported may have had a drink or two...) were arguing about the best way to get from Point 'A' to Point 'B' so the taxi driver decided to do a three-point turn on the level-crossing...and got stuck. All three then tried unsuccessfully to push the taxi clear but on seeing the approaching 250-ton suburban electric train (which was coming down a 1-in-50 grade - that's a 2% grade for our North American friends), they wisely chose to move themselves a safe distance from the taxi! Train 1, Taxi 0.

Hopefully the local Department of Transport bods will be looking very closely at a certain taxi driver's licence...

Cheers,
Dreadnought1

Um... the baby was not run over by the train; he was merely pushed by it. It's an interesting incident this one. I can't recall ever hearing about anything similar. In fact, it makes me wonder what incline that plaform was at, as that pram moved pretty quickly for what appears to be a flat surface. I do hope his mother doesn't do something so careless again, otherwise this time her child might not be so lucky. I feel sorry for the driver though. He must've been scared out of his wits for the rest of the day, if not the entire week.

WileeCoyote:D

The platform at Ashburton is fairly flat but the pram appeared to be just beyond the station building (where the wind could have been a factor). The platform is the only platform at Ashburton and is used by both Up & Down trains (the train involved was an Up - in this case, heading North for Melbourne city).

There be simple rules with prams on platforms:
1. Use the brakes
2. Hold on to them at all times and/or use the wrist strap
3. Keep them parallel with the platform edge
4. Make sure bub is properly fastened into the pram
5. Go to the "driver's end" of the platform (in this case, the Northern end)

Going to the driver's end helps as the driver can clearly see as the passengers with prams board (and in this case it would also have given the driver an extra 50-60 metres to react).

These sort of incidents are the railway employee's nightmare...so we prefer that people play it safe!

Cheers,
Dreadnought1

Back