2GB Graphics card

ex-railwayman

I noticed this on offer tonight from a well known UK PC company and having never known that there are 2 GB graphics cards available wondered what it would perform like on our Trainz versions. It's a 2GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, does anyone have one of these please and is there any noticeable difference when playing your game, and does it take good screenshots.......:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Nvidia's 295 GTX has 1792 MB (896MB per core)...

Memory Specs: Memory Clock (MHz)999 MHz - Standard Memory Config 1792 MB GDDR3 (896MB per GPU) - Memory Interface Width896-bit (448-bit per GPU) - Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)223.8

don't know how much you know about computers, but it really depends on your other hardware.

if you play on high resolutions (1680x1050 and more), more vram comes in handy. This is also true if you like to use high AA/AF settings. If you play the newest games (GTA4) or use high-res texture mods for existing games, up to 2gb-vram get used already.

Depending on your CPU and monitor resolution the Ati HD5xxx series ist the best choice atm.
Nvidia will release later this year, if they manage. Their chip has yet to prove how it will perform on games (its more a gpu/cpu hybrid this time).

I never regreted picking a 4870-1gb (by the time 512 where standard), so would i have to choose now, i would wait for 2gb-variants to be released.

Yes, like everyone else is saying, that is a stick of Corsair memory. 2 GB sticks are actually quite common these days (all my computers in my house have 2 GB sticks in them - 8 GB for both desktops, and 4 GB for my laptop).

There are only a few 2 GB graphics cards out right now: ATI's 4870 X2 has 2 GB GDDR5 standard, and some brands of ATI's have 2 GB 4890's, 4870's and even 4850's, and some of nVidia's card manufacturers have 2 GB GTX 280's and 285's.

Kyle

Last edited:
don't know how much you know about computers

Well, I've made a bit of a gaffe actually, as I copied and pasted the wrong line in.......It just goes to show that I never checked what I'd done before I logged off....:hehe::hehe:

You're all quite correct in stating that that was the RAM specs.....whoops..:eek:

What I meant to type was a 2GB ATI RADEON HD4870X2 PCI EXPRESS, I also noticed a 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX285 PCI EXPRESS, that our computer savvy friend Kyle correctly states are now available, but, has any Trainzer got one ?? What are they like performance wise please, I'm just curious that's all, and I'm sure other Trainzers may wish to know for the future.

Cheerz. ex..

Ok now it makes sense!

I do have a the ATI Radeon HD4870 X2, very well built card! Make sure you have the proper connections and room in your case however, I had to shuffle some stuff around and it still was a tight fit.

Performance is amazing in my opinion. Really brought Trainz to life, I push this card to the limit when using it, really rugged and can withstand a lot.

If you have any specific questions, like installation and such fell free to ask me via PM.

Cheers,
Adam

The 4870 X2 is quite a powerful card, indeed. The only 2 cards more powerful than it (all-around power, not game specific) are the nVida GTX 295 and the ATI Radeon HD 5870 (Sometimes the 5850 can come close, I've seen too).

My thoughts

Kyle

be carefull with multi-gpu solutions, they have their drawbacks.

ATIs flagship does everything the best multi-gpus do (yes, even the 295) without any drawback, less energy consumption (perfect for IDLE in windows), less heat=less noise, supports DX11, eyefinity+3monitors...

There is really no point buying the old generation now. If you can wait, wait for nvidia to make their paperlaunch for their new gamingcards (right now we only know about their professional card wich is a mix between cpu and gpu). Decide then.

TNM QUOTE; There is really no point buying the old generation now. If you can wait, wait for nvidia to make their paperlaunch for their new gaming cards (right now we only know about their professional card which is a mix between cpu and gpu). Decide then.[/quote]

I assume this is what you are talking about. - http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=789 - (looks really exciting & promising)... Rumour has it that they are considering calling it "The beast"
And for those AMD Radeon - ATI fans; - http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=788 - something to wet your cockles....
Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
I assume this is what you are talking about. - http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=789 - (looks really exciting & promising)... Rumour has it that they are considering calling it "The beast"
Cheers, Mac...

Yes and no. Fermi-codename stands for the GT300, but what we know for now is not really that important for games, its more meant for professional business (gpucomputing, lets say in render-farms).

How exactly the gaming-card will look like we have yet to see, rumors have it that the paper-launch for the gaming cards should be before christmas, as they have to stop ppl form buying ATI-cards.

Not totally yet. I think there might be some settings in either control panel for ATI and nVidia cards that might enable some kind of multi-card performance increase (each card render every other frame, maybe?), but otherwise, no. No built-in multi-card support as of yet.

Kyle

Back