Mt Washington Cog Railway locomotive for sale

That's not good!

One thing that amuses me about this though;

Collectibles>POSTCARDS>Transportation>Trains, Railroads

That's one mighty strange postcard...

Oh great now what will the railroad use since that locomotive is now up for sale? look at the grand canyon raiload who stopped operating its steam engines in favor of diesel and I went on a web site concerning this, they have decided to resume steam operations,can someone please tell me what in the world is going on here? because I am angry about this and I prefer steam engines vs another type of power source!

I WAS gonna flame you for the title of this thread, but seeing the content, I'd say that's a pretty appropriate remark.

Being that I have been planning a trip to the "COG"...this is indeed, very bad news. Once steam goes...all you have is the Pentrex video tapes of the past operations.:mop: :'( :mop:
The East Broad Top RR in Western Pa is having their steam/diesel/trolley/speeder "Fall Spectacular" weekend this Friday, Saturday, & Sunday Oct 9, 10, 11th
Bring cold wet weather gear, to both attractions, this weekend, snow, drizzle and rain is predicted low of 38F, high of 52F. Typical western Pa Autumn weather.
The "Cog" has on average 210 cloudy days per year, and has the most harsh weather in North America...akin to Antarctic winds 125mph, quite normaly, and the summit is often closed due to sub zero weather, and tourist trains only are allowed halfway up to the summit during those times. It can be 52F in the valley and -5F at the summit, and severly windy. But it does have some rare, mild weather. If driving to the summit, the summit road will burn your car engine up on the way up...and will burn your brake pads out on the way down. Mt Washington has claimed dozens and dozens of lives in winter months, due to frostsbite and avelanche. Workers used to ride slideboards (a sitting rail skateboard)(Devils Shingle) and the record speed down the mountain was 3-1/4 miles, in 2-1/2 or 3 minutes.
http://www.polar.sunynassau.edu/~fanellis/cog_railway.html
http://www.cog-railway.com/devils.htm <-----SEE THIS TO BELIEVE IT
http://www.cog-railway.com/devils/devilsa.gif
http://www.cog-railway.com/devils/devilse.gif

Last edited:
Wish I could help

I've heard that there are other cogwheel railroads in other countries, but I don't know of any others in the US.

I wanted to see this thing is action before I die, but so unfourtunately, the only future other than her being exported, she might be put on static display... This is sad. It's like seeing Doe River railroad #2 (Rachael) when Somebody Gaylord put her on static display in Missouri, SHE BELONGS IN EAST TENNESSEE!!! As for the unique cogwheel steamer... I'd try to buy it if I was rich enough, somebody might beable to bring her to another tourist attraction, but it just seems slim...
I feel sorry for ya buddy. And I hope this rare thing can be saved before it is no more...

It will be chilly to say the least...low of 24F Mt Washington...unsure if that is the summit temp, or valley temp...Altoona will have snow squalls possible. It always rains on my (Autumn Folliage) parade for the next 3 weeks. :mop: :'( :mop: My favorite time of year.:cool:

This is outragous, I knew this would happen when they reveiled those ugly diesels last year.
Does anyone car about heritage anymore?

I guess not. Its not the railroad. Its the resort on top of the summit. They said they if they dont get diesels they will not serve the passengers.
:'( :'( :'( :'(

Simple as this If they get rid of their steam program ,There Profits will SHARPLY drop..

I could understand if they were doing this so they could have an alternative in case something happens to the steamers (ex becomes to dry to safely run and not pose a fire hazard) or from age..ex The East Broad top has converted 2 of their Boxcars to passenger cars to save the original 1880's passenger cars..but not because of this.

Last edited:
Oh no....yet another panic thread.

Stop right now. They are NOT completely dropping steam, from my various sources on other, more railroader minded forums, the plan is to keep at least 2 steam locomotives operational for special occasions.

The move to dismal....sorry, diesel is to promote "being green" (rather stupid if you ask me, and I'm an environmentalist)

However the decision to sell the locomotive on ebay.....thats just a little disrespectful.

Grand Canyon did not completely drop steam either. They modified one of their locomotives to burn vegetable oil, and it will continue to be used for special occasions. Not quite sure how well it worked...but thats what they did. Again, with the idea of being "Green"

Well if that is the case, then this is old news, I've known about the limited schedule for some time, why announce it now?

Unless there is some kind of news in this thread, I can't see the point in it.

Cheers,
Woody

sorry, I just noticed this and flipped...I was having a bad day, and lost control. Lately I aint been into trainz, although I have been into railroading as always, but moving into Narrow gauge, and Pennsy RR again. So I was not aware of this. Forgive me for freaking out.

Looking at Klinger's post, I'd like to agree. The railway has a total of 5 steam engines currently in working condition. From the looks of it, the one they're selling isn't in perfect condition. Working yes, but not what I'd consider fair.
They already have one diesel locomotive, since oh 2008.

Also, one of the steamers was converted to biodiesel in 2008. The whole reason for the conversion is to cut the visual pollution caused by the steamers, the coal smoke has caused numerous problems in the past. From soot getting on passengers, to causing a fire in a number of instances. (Spark arrestors be darned.)

The other main reason is the Diesel locomotives are more powerful, and can push longer trains.

Lastly, it's getting harder for them to keep the boilers certified. In the case of most of the steamers, exculding three, they're over a hundred years old.

Looking at Klinger's post, I'd like to agree. The railway has a total of 5 steam engines currently in working condition. From the looks of it, the one they're selling isn't in perfect condition. Working yes, but not what I'd consider fair.
They already have one diesel locomotive, since oh 2008.

Also, one of the steamers was converted to biodiesel in 2008. The whole reason for the conversion is to cut the visual pollution caused by the steamers, the coal smoke has caused numerous problems in the past. From soot getting on passengers, to causing a fire in a number of instances. (Spark arrestors be darned.)

The other main reason is the Diesel locomotives are more powerful, and can push longer trains.

Lastly, it's getting harder for them to keep the boilers certified. In the case of most of the steamers, exculding three, they're over a hundred years old.

They also converted the feedwater heater on 2 of the locomotives to make them burn coal more efficiently

They have 5 operational steam locomotives, 3 (the locomotive on Ebay) is rumored (from my sources) to have a bad boiler, and rather then spend money to repair, perhaps they figured it would be better to sell

Back