TRS2010

With respect to continents, 'Central America' is like 'Eastern Europe' - a geographical designation, but not a continent in and of itself.

Back on topic,
Looks as a repacking once again :

now TS2009 + trees

The seasonal assets and the layering system are also both new.
I'm especially interested in the layering system if it works like it does in CAD / paint programs, as I can see the use of hiding / showing / locking different items when working on a route. In other words, hide the trees and shrubbery so I can place / adjust ground details; or lock the basemaps so I don't accidentally move them without noticing it several days later :)

Just want to counter some of the negative feeling in the thread by saying thanks to WindWalker and his team. I've been browsing the TS2010 website, and TS2010 looks very promising to me. Although I purchased 2009, my Trainz of choice still remains 2006, mainly due to the trees issue. But looks like 2010 may have adressed my concerns (NB, I reserve the right to contradict myself later on this, when its in our hands:) !) , and thrown in some extra worthwhile goodies.

I cant see any mention of minimum specs, or release date anywhere. Has this info been posted ? It does say there have been speed improvements, so presumably the minimum spec has not got tighter ?

Phil

Last edited:
How will TS2010 deal with the "native" mode and "compatibility" mode issue. Will this version be "native" mode only?

This is what it says on the TS2010 website, George -

" New routes are available for you to drive with upgraded content specific to TS2010 and including SpeedTree® throughout. Developed specifically to run in 'Native' mode, experience the best Trainz® ever. "

I'll gloss over the glaring spelling mistakes on the website in the Routes section, you'll all think I'm nitpicking......:p

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:
New Features

Having heard most of this 'sales pitch' last year about this time.
We've got this 'great new version 2009 for you with all these new features which has been put through much beta testing, etc. Line up and pay here!'
Is there an echo in here?
I think they should include another new feature in this edition 'ten percent down on my visa and the balance after my three months 'satisfied user approval'. :confused:

too many versions too quickly! I have hardly got my head around TC3 yet!I did buy TS2009 but to be honest at this moment in time it's not my cup of tea at all. I wasn't over-awed by the new features then so I'm going with a 'seeing is believing' approach; so far I haven't seen anything but more graphics issues and error fixing older content.

Boy what a lot of ... , oh never mind, I for one was glad to read the newsletter. So EE is not an add on to WBE but a complete version. Big deal. For a few $ I've had loads of fun designing routes and building objects with new capabilities in WBE. The stitched track alone was worth the price. Now we're being offered more and it still not enough, sheesh.

Just the one feature I only saw one other mention, layers in Surveyor, sounds like a winner. Now I don't know the details but it it is anything like layers in CAD or image programs, this will be great. If objects can be put in different layers and then the layers individually locked so they can't be accidentally changed, wow :mop:

And SpeedTrees, now there is another great addition in the route builder's tools kit. :D

WOW, more great stuff like a Customizable Menu System. For anyone who has done any route building, this sounds like the next great thing.

More on layers:
# Assign Objects to Layers
# Hide and Lock Layers
# Move Layers between Sessions and Routes
:mop:

Last edited:
Canal:- North Bank= N.America, South Bank= S.America.

Simples!!:wave:

Regards Bruce

Not quite so simple. If one looks at a map of the Panama Canal, one finds that the canal's course from the Atlantic ocean entrance to the Pacific ocean entrance runs in a Southeasterly direction, that is the Pacific ocean exit is actually East of the Atlantic ocean entrance, so that the actual "North bank" of the canal is in fact the bank contiguous to the part of the Panama that is contiguous with South America, and the "South Bank" is part of the Panama that is contiguous with North America!

I've always understood the part of the Western Hemisphere South of the Southern border of Panama "South America', that part North of the Northern border of Mexico, "North America", and that part between North and South America as "Central America".

ns

OK, fair enough, my final word is:- travelling from Pacific to Caribbean, left bank is N.A , right bank is S.A.
If you don't believe me, ask the Panamanians, they will bore you to death telling you about it:p

Regards Bruce

TS2010 Engineers Edition...

The video was indeed lagging. Unfortunately the only machine that was available for taking the video (everybody else was busy) couldn't handle running alpha-quality software while capturing the video at the same time. It's a pre-release web video. Them's the breaks. I'm sure we'll get you something nicer to look at before release :)

chris

After reading the responses to the announcement of TS2010, a few of which directly address the lagging video, and having read many posts in general in the Forums less than complimentary regarding several Trainz versions... I have to wonder... Why would Auran choose to present a new release knowing the video chosen to present a new version is lagging? Couldn't the decision to offer the news concerning TS2010 have waited a day or two until a faster computer became available to make the video that sets the tone for many customer's acceptance or disillusionment? In other words, putting your best foot forward.

Trainz has a great product, I am very satisfied with TS2009. There are some features I don't need, and some features I am disappointed in, but overall, I congratulate Auran for what it has created. But when I see hasty presentations and what appears to be lack of long-term direction, I wonder... What is the rush all about?

Then I take it they are going to release TS X for their anniversary in 2010.

That doesn't make since to me. :eek: If they wait until around Xmas next year then it will be for 2011. :eek: Hence that doesn't make since to use the "X".

Sounds like a lot of missleading verbage to me. Someone high up at Auran needs to make a statement and clear the air before a lot of customers jump ship.
Perhaps 'X' is a code name and some people are making lots of unwarranted assumptions. I am not going to stop using Trainz just because the developer has failed to give a final name to the product after next.

Morning all :)

Again, a bulk reply:

TSX is Trainz 2010

No, it's clearly not. TS2010 is Engineers Edition. It's a later than we originally planned for EE, but that doesn't make it "TSX". If you care about such things, the "X" in TSX represented 10 years of Trainz; Tony's post even covers that.

It's also true that product names rarely survive from conception to ship. This is at least the second, possibly the third Trainz product to initially bear the name of "Engineers Edition".

And another question(yes I know): can you bring out a specific list of what kind of treez(tm) you have in the tree set you're releasing with ts10?

Unfortunately I can't give specifics on included content at this time.

But the fact of the matter is that Multiplayer capabilities is the most requested feature for Trainz since the 04 version. It was said it was being worked on for 06, but the people who were working on it were told to halt. Since then it has been asked to be put in future releases but keeps getting left out.

Actually, I'd have to say that the most requested feature since TS2009 has been TS2009-quality trees. A few people have done a great job of this recently (TNM, Jankis, I'm looking at you guys) but it took a while, and most people have not.

We never worked on multiplayer for TS2006. I did write a little multiplayer proof-of-concept for Trainz CE but for various reasons (such as wanting to actually ship the game) we weren't too worried about it at the time.

Unfortunately, I shall now be completely ignoring work on any vegetation for 09 now.

Keep in mind that SpeedTree is focused on trees; there are other types of vegetation.

One quick question; will TS2010 include the S&C content?

No, the add-on packs are not included in TS2010. They are compatible with TS2010 though.

And I do have to ask, where animated trees really necessary.

They're not. But they're very pretty.

I cant see any mention of minimum specs, or release date anywhere. Has this info been posted ?

This information has not been release yet.

And, also, are you going to create an export tool for users who have the SpeedTree software

SpeedTree does not require an export tool. I'm not sure offhand whether you're allowed to use it in the way that you suggest, but that's a question for IDV and not us.

Why would Auran choose to present a new release knowing the video chosen to present a new version is lagging? Couldn't the decision to offer the news concerning TS2010 have waited a day or two until a faster computer became available

No faster computers will be free until around the release of TS2010, which would kind of defeat the purpose :) Everyone's pretty busy here. I agree that it would have been nicer if the video was captured on a dedicated video-capture machine, but we're happy with the quality of the video: it shows what we wanted you to see.

kind regards,

chris

If objects can be put in different layers and then the layers individually locked so they can't be accidentally changed, wow :mop:

:mop:

Hi Martin
Actually this interest me a lot -- !!!! I hope that's what it means!:wave: :D

Ishie

Sorry my english is not so good...

I will no TRS 2010. I will a have Programm was has NO ERROR.

Since TRS 2004 the Programm has many errors.
But Auran repair this? No!
Auran make more errors.. game for game.
TRS2010 is the old game with a new face...

Auran should hear of the voice from the people which play the Game.

Last edited:
Well, as soon as I clicked on to the forums off my bookmarks I had no clue that 10 EE was being worked on either.

It depends on if I get a Windows 7 computer with a trillion gigs RAM. If I get that, great, and say hello to a bunch of palm trees, slash and longleaf pines and other elements since I will be getting this game too.

I must say that Chris is going to be a happy camper once it is known his three routes are being utilized in 10.

I hope 10 is an improvement to 09 as 09 was an improvement to 06. I am glad the Surveyor function "ain't going nowhere" :cool: but I would also like to be in the engineer's seat and take runby photos. Maybe we will see better driver components? :)

Sorry my english is not so good...

I will no TRS 2010. I will a have Programm was has NO ERROR.

Since TRS 2004 the Programm has many errors.
But Auran repair this? No!
Auran make more errors.. game for game.
TRS2010 is the old game with a new face...

Auran should hear of the voice from the people which play the Game.

I feel your pain....

I am trying to backdate all my content back to 2004 now that it seems like TRS2006 is a lost cause, I have no trouble with TC 1&2 at all, I can do anything to it and it always comes back. Never heard or tried anything about TC3 or TRS2009

I have been struggling with TRS2006 for like 5 days now, just trying to get it to work

Well, after reading right through this thread it seams as thought this is becoming more of a geographical display program than a train simulation.
Why will Auran not concentrate on getting the trains to run more realistically instead of worrying about the countryside. So far, in spite of the sound not reducing when slowing TRS2004 still has the best sounds. In TRS2006 the sounds fade out completely, in TS2009 the sound is nothing like a real train. In all my years around steam engines I have never heard a safety valve open every 10 seconds as it does with locos built for TS2009. If you have more than one train on a route and click on the other driver the other loco has no sound. Come on Auran, get your priorities right, it is meant to be a RAILWAY SIMULATION.

Bill69

Back