Make your Own Train Company

Just wipped up a GP9 for a fictional line I call the Cape May Central railroad
Cape-May-430.jpg

the elmore transportation authority of elmore CA have a commuter rail branch consisting of several different lines...
one of the lines are electrified under 25KV 60 Hz overhead wire electrification
here is a shot from the elmore electric district a 3 car commuter train with an ex MN shoreliner I cab car and two ex NJT comet Is that still wear NJT but patched over by the ETA and an ex amtrak HHP-8 pushing
slenderman8888_20180309_0000.jpg

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I posted Bridgerissa Commuter Railway stuff but here's a few recent shots. Been preparing for a 1.1 release of this route. It based in a fictional southeastern USA state called Bridgerissa.
rd5uIi1.jpg

8ux8Veg.jpg

bAXqMeT.jpg

h5tbuYd.jpg

n09OrKo.jpg

Though a road that dealt heavily in luxury passenger traffic, the Washoe Valley Railway was never rich, and as such, it had a tendency to continue using older designs instead of investing in new stock. One such set of stock was its second order of dining cars (the first being a Barney & Smith car named, simply, Banquet), a quartet of Pullmans ordered in 1895 to anticipate the road's connection to the Central Pacific in Parran, NV. These five cars were for some time the only full-length dining cars owned by the road, and as such saw service in the premier train from Empire to Tonopah in 1905 and the inaugural run of the Nevada Thoroughbred in 1922. They were always at least a little awkward for riders - being built to older Pullman specifications, they had to be lowered to accommodate the 35" coupling centers made standard by 1910, and therefore had somewhat lower corridors than the newer cars. The older construction is clearly visible in this image, in which Sweetwater Meadows rides among a rake of 1910-built steel-frame coaches:
ACF8EAD5C2EA4DD6A1AAE80377323D245823FD93

Before we look at the photo, here is some history on, not just the Birch & Declaration Railroad Company (B&DRC), but also how these 2 SDP40Fs landed in their hands to begin with.

The Birch and Declaration line is a rail line in Alabama running from Birmingham to Huntsville. This line was originally used by the Alabama Tennessee and Northern Railroad until they merged with the Frisco railroad in 1971. Frisco decided to abandon this part of the line since they didn't find it necessary, however, since many supplies and such came from this railroad, a railroad commodity that should remain anonymous in partnership with the Southern Railroad formed a Class 2 railroad that would run through this part of the line. After some arguments about the railroad name and opening date, the railroad opened in 1974 and began operations. Although being able to get their own motive power, most of the BDRC's locomotives were leased from the Southern Railroad, and had no modifications paintwise still unifying them as Southern Railroad engines, one of those being SD40-2 #3239, which is seen in the photo below. Some of the SOU engines, including 3239, were purchased by the railroad after Norfolk & Western and Southern merged into Norfolk Southern, while the rest went to NS.

Now, here's where the SDP40Fs come in: In 1981, BDRC was still quite proud of the effort SOU did to let them use some of their motive power, but were looking for engines to run the line fulltime, their first purchases for fulltime engines were 5 GP38-2s #4900-4904, which would later increase to 21 after buying more #4907-4920 as well as some U30Cs, even though they were pleased with those engines, they needed to use a larger engine for much more powerful trains, as the GP38-2s, despite having a tractive effort of 61,000 pounds, only had a power output of 2000hp. When the railroad found out about Amtrak retiring their fleet of SDP40Fs in favor of F40PHs, they asked Amtrak if they could lease a few for service, though Amtrak didn't want any havoc caused on the BDRC due to the derailments the SDP40F roster was quite well known for, they relented, and loaned them numbers 505 and 622. The BDRC converted them to freight service tested them in freight service on intermodal trains and mixed freights, and were quite pleased with their performance in freight service, and purchased them in 1983, and redesignated them as SD40Fs #710 and 711 respectively, and were repainted into a light blue and silver paint scheme, which would soon inspire the Amtrak Phase V scheme, however, in the month of May 2011, to celebrated Amtrak's 40th Birthday, BDRC repainted them back into their original liveries.

These photos are from 1981 when they were tested on a piggyback train. Also included in the case of a derailment is the aforementioned SOU SD40-2 #3239.
WhJPFZ3.jpg

p0FVBUF.jpg

fMOApz9.jpg

Last edited:
SIGMA Transport

As you can see from the logos, I've come up with a fair few fictional TOCs, the main one being Hayden Trains, but I'll open this with one of the others:

Sigma Transport operates services in 4 separate locations: Watley, Hamilton, Lorlea & Oberton, and Thorton. The TOC started life by buying the abandoned trackbed, and rebuilding the Watley line into a useful commuter line:

Driven by the success of the Watley line, Sigma Transport then took over many of the local services around the northern city of Hamilton:

Ans well as being selected to run the new local electric services around Lorlea in the west, as a side effect of the Great Western Electrification:

Finally, Sigma operates the Thorton Suburban Network - A series of rapid transit style routes recently connected by a new cross-town rail link:

tbird8923
I am curious regarding the shots of a Birch & Declaration Railroad that you claim are pictures from 1981 and state that the B&DRC was part of the Alabama rail system. I was very interested in your shots primarily because in Oct. 2009 I first uploaded a FICTIONAL layout named the Birch and Declaration Line. Since then I have uploaded several revisions and sessions for that layout. My curiosity piqued, I examined your screenshots more closely and discovered that the two yellow silos shown in the first shot were a part of the Deane chemical company on my layout. Also when one examines the shots very closely you note the name DEANE appears in the first shot. On my fictional railroad Deane is a prominent town named for the asset creator Deane Turnbull. Is Deane a town on the B&DRC railroad that you claim was once a part of the Alabama Rail system? Also I could find no mention of a B&DRC past or present on the Alabama rail system.
Just curious.
Gary Evans

tbird8923
I am curious regarding the shots of a Birch & Declaration Railroad that you claim are pictures from 1981 and state that the B&DRC was part of the Alabama rail system. I was very interested in your shots primarily because in Oct. 2009 I first uploaded a FICTIONAL layout named the Birch and Declaration Line. Since then I have uploaded several revisions and sessions for that layout. My curiosity piqued, I examined your screenshots more closely and discovered that the two yellow silos shown in the first shot were a part of the Deane chemical company on my layout. Also when one examines the shots very closely you note the name DEANE appears in the first shot. On my fictional railroad Deane is a prominent town named for the asset creator Deane Turnbull. Is Deane a town on the B&DRC railroad that you claim was once a part of the Alabama Rail system? Also I could find no mention of a B&DRC past or present on the Alabama rail system.
Just curious.
Gary Evans

The whole B&DRC line I came up with was my own backstory idea, so yeah, you could say that

And here is my backstory:
The fictional Birch and Declaration Line began as the Birch and Declaration division comprised of Declaration, Deane, Allison, Snowden and Birch. Declaration yard was an interchage yard serving the CB&Q, Great Northern and Northern Pacific railroads. Two CB&Q trains arrived daily. One from the East originating in Omaha and one from the West originating in Denver. One Great Northern freight arrived daily from Great Falls, MT. Three westbound freights originating in Chicago moved through Declaration Yard bound for Seattle and environs. Three eastbound freights originating in Washington state and bound for Chicago passed through the yard. This circa 1960.

The next phase of the Birch & Declaration Line, circa early 1970s, was a subdivision following the merger of the CB&Q, GN, NP and SP&S railroads and the demise of the Milwaukee.

The Birch and Declaration Line is currently functioning as a Class 3 railroad connecting with the BNSF railroad.

From its creation in October 2007, The Birch and Declaration Line has been owned and operated by the Evans Family. The various phases of the Birch & Declaration Line have been uploaded and can be found on the DLS.

The Konawa & Arbuckle Mountain railway is a Class III shortline set in southeast Oklahoma, USA. On the east end of the system is the town of Arbuckle, and just east of that, the line dead-ends at a small coal-fired power plant. The K&AM interchanges with the UP in Hillcrest and the BNSF in Konawa (well, maybe. I haven't even built to Hillcrest yet). Regular commodities include coal, coking coal and alumina ore for A.M. Aluminum Co., grain (this is Oklahoma...), intermodal traffic interchanged from BNSF and UP for a facility that will be built somewhere, ethanol, oil, food products, and automobiles.

The K&AM roster currently consists of EMD GP30s, GP35s, GP38-2s, GP40-2s, and SD40-2s; and GE C40-8's; as well as a mixed bag of leased power. Run-thru power from BNSF and UP isn't uncommon.

The six axle power is usually reserved for heavier or higher priority trains (coal, intermodal, time-sensitives, and non-stops). Four axle power is used for nearly everything else, due to sharp curves in yards, branch lines, and industry leads, and for ease of switching.

7ErGYhS.jpg

gFbiGVN.jpg

hh6Zs4y.jpg

GZdXxJg.jpg

PlOg1ue.jpg

Ea3JLEx.jpg

k48MRxG.jpg

Matt

Last edited:
Back