Downloading outside of the DLS

mallard30

I've been trying to download some stuff outside of the download station, and when I come to download it I get the usual open or save as options.

I'm presuming I should save it, but where do I save it and how do I get it to work in trainz?

Many thanks,
Ricky

hello ricky,

you should save to desktop;
and the cdp file will be shown like this:

Trainzamtrakfan

then take it to trainz content manager

I've been trying to download some stuff outside of the download station, and when I come to download it I get the usual open or save as options.

I'm presuming I should save it, but where do I save it and how do I get it to work in trainz?

you save it to your desktop or, i have a dir just for trainz files, when you open up cmp, you tell it to go to that place where you save you files

I suggest that you create a new folder called Archived and then create subfolders within the Archived folder that are named for the site(s) where you're downloading from and save the download there before importing into Trainz. The reason for this is that over time you will have downloaded a lot of stuff and someday you'll wonder where you got a certain item or someone in the forum will post a request for a kuid that's not on the DLS. You'll be able to provide the answer and we'll all think you're a really great person:p . You might even be elevated to MVT (Most Valued Trainzer):cool:

Bob

Downloads from other sources can have various formats. In every case save the downloaded files to a folder (call it TRS2004 Extras or whatever you like) and virus scan the files before opening them.

After downloading, go into Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where you saved the files, and then:

CDP files: double-click

EXE files: double-click

ZIP and RAR files: extract their contents then as above (usually)

Follow the instructions on the source web sites or in readme files if there are any.

John

The other issue is some sites may try to add adware or other malware to your machine.

Firefox with noscript may help protect you. Also running in a user level account not an admin account is sensible, especially in XP.

Cheerio John

Thanks for all the help so far :)

I've extracted the files from the zip file. I go into content dispacher, and open the individual files. It says I can't open them, so i choose the extract them instead.

It tells me its been extracted but nothing appears in the game :confused:

I am doing anything wrong?

Which version of Trainz have you got? This might affect how you install assets.

What are the file extensions (file types) of the files in the zip file?

John

Are you running windows vista?

I had this problem at the start and the only way I found to sort it out is install it in the C:\ root directory but since I found I could have installed by right clicking and running as administrator.

:D

Andy

Thanks for the quick reply :)

The files are content dispacher packages. And I am using TRS2004

I am using Vista I shall go and try again.

With TRS2004, when you double-click a CDP file it should invoke Content Dispatcher (yes, a crazy name for an installation program I know).

That should display a warning and ask if you want to continue.

Then there should be a display with two columns. Near the bottom of the lefthand column there should be a dropdown list and the item selected should be TRS2004 with your build number in brackets after it. Under that should be a text field called Path, containing the text C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2004 (or wherever TRS2004 is installed).

In the righthand column there should be a button called Extract which you can click to install the assets that the CDP file contains.

After installation the assets should be available in the appropriate tab in Surveyor, or in the Driver or Scenarios menu as appropriate. They should also exist as kuid folders in C:\Program Files\TRS2004\World\Dispatcher\Downloads, and be listed in Trainz Objectz (if you have that extremely useful program).

If any of that isn't the case, post the details.

John

the files are exactly where you say they should be, they're just not appearing in TRS?

Could it possibly be my laptop or am I making a really silly mistake.

What kind of asset is it that you've downloaded (is it a loco, a layout, a building, a signal, or whatever)?

John

It's rolling stock, a single coach that I was trying to see if I could get it to work. It's not in Railyard or surveyor.

Sources, A to Z

Many thanks,
Ricky
It does not matter where you get the asset, to work in trainz it will have to be opened as a CDP file for extraction. Saving simple keeps these CDP in your downloads folder, but will be extra and outside the asset's folder. You can save these if you want, but I bet ya money once you download the asset, you will never open the CDP files again, and there really is no need to keep them. I used to save everything and my computer memory was at full capacity, after my PC Crash, I have not been saving, just open to extract, thus I will not be filling the computer with un-needed files so badly! Usually getting assets from sources outside Auran's DLS is faster, eazier, and more complete that when you have to go throiugh multiple downloading steps to find all the dependencies and open them one by one for downloading, it's just one problem we have to deal with in the way thier DLS works!

It's rolling stock, a single coach that I was trying to see if I could get it to work. It's not in Railyard or surveyor.
If you know its kuid, is there now a kuid folder for it in C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2004\World\Dispatcher ?

If you've got Trainz Objectz, is it now listed in that program under Rolling Stock? In T.O.'s Menu > Check for missing RS parts (i.e. missing rolling stock parts) are any items listed.

In Railyard, is it in the list? It is possible for rolling stock items to be in the Railyard list but not displayed as images. Normally this is caused by missing dependencies.

In Windows Explorer, make sure you've got C:\Program Files\Auran\TRS2004\Content Dispatcher.exe set to run in Administrator mode. If that wasn't already the case then do it, then try double-clicking the CDP file and installing again.

John

It does not matter where you get the asset, to work in trainz it will have to be opened as a CDP file for extraction.
Not necessarily, for example it's also possible for assets to be installed by self-installing EXE files, or as ZIP or RAR files containing the kuid folders.

As you say, once installed the downloaded CDP, EXE, ZIP or RAR files can if you wish be archived to writeable CD's or DVD's, or deleted provided you then regularly backup the installed kuid folders (or the TAD in TRS2006 and later). However, with today's hard disk sizes it's unlikely that space will be a problem unless a huge number of assets were downloaded.

John

Back