Splitting a train automatically

fredbiggs

Hi

I'm new to this, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm wondering whether if using schedules or rules (I think that's what they're called) is it possible for a train to drive to a station (I can get it to do that), split in two (assuming there is a driving train in the middle), then the first bit go left (say) and the second bit right? This happens near where I live and I was wondering if it's possible to do this on Trainz 2009

I hope this is clear!!

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Fredbiggs,

Welcome to the world of Trainz. As no-one else has yet replied I will do my best to give you an answer.

Firstly to get a train to drive to a station...the easiest way is to place a trackmark at the platform that you want your train to arrive at, call it something appropriate when you place it, and using the commands in driver mode select 'Drive to Trackmark' and choose the appropriate trackmark name to get your train to go where you want it to.

I dont think that it is possible to get a train to split automaticaly and for the two halves to drive off in opposite directions but a more experienced reader of the forums may post a different reply.

Sorry that I cant give you all of te help that you need

Andy

Hi FredBiggs.

This can be done using a spare driver, a trigger and the move to command.

If you have your train drive to a trackmark and uncouple. The first section then departs via a trigger. A spare engine is parked in a siding and when the trigger is activated its driver moves to the remaining part of your train and then drives it in accordance with the instructions you have already input for him.

i.e Main train has instructions similar to.. Drive to trackmark, Uncouple from, Drive to London.

Spare engine has instructions similar to ... On trigger move to unit x. Drive to Bristol..

This should also work in reverse so that you can re-couple the two sections of your train and return the spare driver to the spare loco.

Hope this helps.

regards

Paul

Hi FredBiggs.

This can be done using a spare driver, a trigger and the move to command.

If you have your train drive to a trackmark and uncouple. The first section then departs via a trigger. A spare engine is parked in a siding and when the trigger is activated its driver moves to the remaining part of your train and then drives it in accordance with the instructions you have already input for him.

i.e Main train has instructions similar to.. Drive to trackmark, Uncouple from, Drive to London.

Spare engine has instructions similar to ... On trigger move to unit x. Drive to Bristol..

This should also work in reverse so that you can re-couple the two sections of your train and return the spare driver to the spare loco.

Hope this helps.

regards

Paul

Hi, You will also need the (Wait for trigger) rule as well for this to work.

Fred,
I did the following tests on trying to do what you wanted. I started with a single consist, like this configuration:
Eng1-Car1-Eng2-Car2
When I drive this set it is as a single consist. When I stop the consist and give Eng1 the command to uncouple from Eng2 the consist becomes two separate consists like this:
Eng1-Car1 Eng2-Car2
however Eng2 doesn't have a driver and can't do anything. To fix this I started with 2 separate consists:
Eng1-Car1
Eng2-Car2
Then command Eng1 to couple to Eng2 to again become:
Eng1-Car1-Eng2-Car2
Then I can drive Eng1-Car1-Eng2-Car2 to a destination, stop the train then command Eng1 to decouple from Eng2 which restores the 2 consist configuration and I can drive Eng1-Car1 off leaving Eng2-Car2. I'm not sure how you can get the second consist to now drive its own schedule.

Bob

Last edited:
Ive been doing this for years, dont use a trigger as another train can sometimes set it off. You need a spare driveable asset (I use a car parked in the station car park), it will need a driver which you set up with all the commands for the tasks he will do as the second train. You need two trackmarks at each end of station named say P1 Dn and P1 Up. You will need the commands Post Message and Wait for Message and clear also the move to train at trackmark. Dont use move to train as the commands dont go with the driver. Add to the start of spare drive the command Wait for Message.

Splitting
Train AB
drive to station (P1 Dn)
uncuople from **
Post Message (dave completed task 1)

Train A
drive to ********** Etc Etc

Spare drive
Wait for Message (dave completed task 1)
Move to train at trackmark (P1 Up)

Train B
drive to ******** Etc Etc

Joining
Train A
drive to (P1 Up)
Move to train at trackmark (this will be the spare car)

Train B
Couple to train at trackmark (P1 Dn)

Train AB
drive to ******* Etc Etc

Back