Help on driver setup please (basic 101?)

cpufo123

Newbie to TS2009 trying to accomplish this with AI driver setup:
problem.jpg

Loco 1, couple with consist 2, drive to A, drive to B, drive to A, drive to B, .......

How do I accomplish this with driver setup?

If I give the sequence: couple 2, drive to A, drive to B, repeat - then it can not (re-)couple to 2.
If I give the sequence: couple 2, drive to A, drive to B, un-couple, repeat - then it stops after the un-couple

Is there a way to give two sets to the same drive like this?
seq 1: couple 2
seq 2: drive to A, drive to B, repeat

Your help is appreciated

Last edited:
You might like to download a copy of the TRS2006 Session And Rules Guide (PDF, largely also applicable to TRS2004, TC and TS2009).

Have a look at the Ordered List section of that document. You want to put the "drive to A" and "drive to B" commands inside a loop which runs forever. I think you can probably do this by making them children of an Ordered List command but I haven't actually tested it. The couple command needs to be put before the loop starts of course so it only gets obeyed once.

If that doesn't work, you might like to try Trainz Pro Routes' excellent Scenario Creation System. There's one version for TRS2004, and another for TRS2006 which also works with TS2009. It's free and uses normal computer programming which many people find a lot easier than rules when trying to do anything non-trivial.

HTH, John

Tried the ordered list, that's what happened

try 1
ordered list
--- couple (--- denotes indent once, --- --- twice,...)
--- drive to A, drive to B
this just does drive to A, drive to B

try 2
ordered list
--- couple
--- ordered list
--- --- drive to A, drive to B
this just does drive to A, drive to B

try 3
ordered list
--- couple
--- --- ordered list
--- --- --- drive to A, drive to B
this just couple

Any ideas?

It needs to be:

couple
ordered list
--- drive to a
--- drive to b

I think you also need to do something to make the ordered list continue looping round forever, either a setting for it or an additional child command. Sorry, I'm very busy right now but that document I mentioned almost certainly contains the answer - if you can find it in there! :)

John

EDIT: You might also need to do something to prevent the ordered list being obeyed until the couple has completed. Sorry to be so vague.

Last edited:
I finally got back to this one. Here's what I did, you can adapt it to your requirements. BTW this is in TRS2004 but all later versions should be identical or very similar.

Layout:
One baseboard, one straight track.
In order:
Where the loco starts
Trigger TR1
Trackmark TM1
Trackmark TM2
Trackmark TM3
(It helps to put a building alongside each trigger/trackmark so you know where they are when driving)

Place a loco at the starting position

The objective is to make the loco drive to TM1, then drive back and forth between TM2 and TM3 forever.

Rules (where each > represents one level of indent):

Startup options - as normal

Driver Setup - Drive to TM1

Driver Command - as normal

Trigger Rule - Trigger TR1

> Ordered List - This process will be repeated 1 time

> > Driver Setup - Drive to TM2, Drive to TM3, Repeat

I hope you can copy this and get it going, and that it's of some help to you. I find one of the trickiest things is to keep the difference between Rules and Driver Commands clear in my head.

John

Back