Why is my Trainz 2009 Simulator graphics so lousy?

hyperX88

1)
and sometimes laggy .
i'm using a 8600GT card 256mb ddr-3 .
is that enough?
or do i need to upgrade to see it's full potential?

thanks in advanced

(Question 2 )
and btw
how do i check whats my trainz sim 2009 version?
i'm not sure whether i need to patch or not because i have just bought this game.:eek:

On the program's main menu you should see a build number displayed. Post that number here and someone will be able to tell you whether an update is available.

(Sorry, I don't know the answer to your first question)

John

1)
and sometimes laggy .
i'm using a 8600GT card 256mb ddr-3 .
is that enough?
or do i need to upgrade to see it's full potential?

thanks in advanced

(Question 2 )
and btw
i'm not sure whether i need to patch or not because i have just bought this game.:eek:

Your graphics card isn't in the top ten.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2362-6.html

However what is the rest of your system and what are the symptoms?

I think a 512 mb graphic card would be better

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2387.html

Tomshardware quite likes the 4870 at $130 from newegg.com.

Cheerio John

my version build is 38869 as shown
222-6.jpg

SO WHICH patch do i need to download?
thanks

Build 38869 is TRS2008WBE UK SP1. EDIT: Typo correction - that should read TRS2009WBE UK SP1

You don't need to update yet, but keep an eye out for when SP2 is officially released. At the moment there are release candidates available for SP2 but they have installation bugs.

John

Last edited:
If you could post the rest of your system specs we can help you better with your graphics problem.

peter

Nvidia rules!

:cool: Hello hyperX88, you should have a Nvidia Control Panel available through your driver updates.

Go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound, scroll to the bottom & see if you have a Nvidia Control Panel .

Open the Nvidia Control Panel, under 3D Settings select Adjust image settings with preview...you'll see a rotating icon.

Under the rotating icon you get three choices...select Use my preference emphasizing: Quality

Then move the slider over to Quality.

Next, in the 3D Settings tree, select Set PhysX configuration...enable.

If you decide to upgrade your graphics card, do a lot of shopping as the prices are way down because of the new cards offered.

I'm using a EVGA GeForce 8800GT so your card is simular to mine except for twice the GPU memory.

Even the Nvidia 9 series cards are cheep now...

I have never heard of "TRS2008WBE".
World Builder Edition, i.e. it includes Surveyor. This is the only edition of TS2009 so far released.

There was also going to be an Engineers Edition of TS2009 which wasn't going to include Surveyor but instead contain native mode content. Due to the unexpected problems with creating native mode content, Engineers Edition has been delayed indefinitely or abandoned.

John

You might want to set your Trainz to run in compatibility mode too just in case you have problems displaying trees, powerlines and other objects. Native mode uses a new graphics format that makes objects such as these have display problems.

I have the EVGA 8800 GTS640, which is going on two years old now and runs Trainz 2009 perfectly well. What are your other specs? CPU, memory, etc. These can impact performance as well. How clean are your fans? As a system heats up, the performance will drop particularly with a graphics and cpu intensive program such as Trainz.

Download the latest drivers for your card, and also look for the NVidia Control panel. There's an additional download for their System Performance adjuster. With this you can adjust your fan for your video card, and if you have an NVIDIA based chipset on your motherboard, you can adjust settings there too. I turn my fans up to 100% when using Trainz. This keeps the system cool and Trainz running very smooth.

John

hi guys
thanks for the fast reply.

My com specs are pretty old.
Intel Pentium 530 at 3.0Ghz
250GB SATA 7200RPM
XFX 8600GT Fata1ty
2GB RAMS at 533

Upgrading soon.

and btw , is there and setting which i can set the graphics to high or low?

That spec's not bad, it should be able to handle all but the most demanding layouts.

There are in-game sliders which control various quality vs performance settings. Experiment!

For more advanced control, do a search on this forum for trainzoptions, but bear in mind that some commands might only apply in some versions of Trainz.

Your video board settings also affect performance - things such as anti-aliasing, etc.

John

I am also having some graphic problems

Hi and thanks for reading this post.

I have the following specs on my computer and have terrible jerking of the graphics (like stop start motion). This only shows on routes that I have either downloaded or on routes that are included in TS09. Any route that I have made myself runs sweetly.

I have disabled compatability mode etc and no change is detectable. I have also noticed that when using surveyor the movement is also very jerky.

I have also tried tweaking the draw distance down to 2000m , texture detail and train detail to minimum,

My video card is an Nvidia Ge Force 8500 GT (silent (no fan)) with 512Mb.
CPU is an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core running at 4800+ 2.50Ghz.
system make is Hewlet Packard and model is SR5340AN, with 2 Gb of Ram onboard.
HDD is a western digital WDC WD50 300 Gbytes

Any suggestions to solve this would be really welcome.

Cheers and again thanks for taking the time to read this.

If you do not need the log file running then you can switch it off in the trainzoptions file by using -nolog

I found that this stopped a lot of the jerkyness caused by trainz writing to the disk.

If you do not need the log file running then you can switch it off in the trainzoptions file by using -nolog

I found that this stopped a lot of the jerkyness caused by trainz writing to the disk.

Hi and many thanks, for your suggestion.

Unfortunately there is no change to the jerkiness of the graphics, however I am greatful for your suggestion.

cheers

Hi and many thanks, for your suggestion.

Unfortunately there is no change to the jerkiness of the graphics, however I am greatful for your suggestion.

cheers
Try changing the track to a low poly one like MP Wood. I found this worked wonders with jerky routes. There is also an issue with some type of splines with TS2009. This may explain why your own routes are not jerky.
Hope this helps
Geoff

What's the cooling like for your computer system?

As components heat up, they will slow down to keep themselves from burning out. This slow down can cause Trainz to run jerkily.

Make sure your system fans are spinning properly.
Clean out any dust that maybe in your vents and fans. If you use a spray can (Canned Air), make sure you stop your fan from spinning with a pencil while you spray air into the system. The reason for this is so that the bearings or bushings are not blown apart by the force as the fan spins too quickly.

In addition, how much hard disk space do you have?
If your drive is full, there will be a system performance issue as the operating system tries to make room for your applications as well as the operating system.

Is your drive data fragmented?
This can cause slow down as well. Windows has a built-in defragment program, but there are other free ones available such as JK-Defrag, which works very nicely and much faster than the built-in one.

Are there any programs running in addition to Trainz?

Windows update will cause the system to jerk along. So will antivirus applications, and add-ons such as skype, I-Tunes, etc. You might want to run an anti-malware scan to check for spyware and viruses. These can cause your system to slow down as well particularly when the system is under lots of load from a program such as Trainz.

I hope these suggestions help.

John

Back