Smooth uphill Gradients?

BigThing

How do you guy's get a track to go around a mountain while going uphill???

When i try it just goes horribly wrong and i cant use the slope thingy coz it goes round corners

Help would be appreciated

Well, you have stumbled upon one of the difficult things in Trainz to do well. What it really takes is practice. Everyone probably has their own opinion on how to do it. Personally, I prefer to lay my track first, apply the grade that I want to it and then bring the ground up to my track. After that is the tricky part, bringing the surrounding terrain up to the elevations that you want to form your mountains.
Some members prefer to build their terrain first and then lay the track. I sometimes do it that way, but I find it that method a little more difficult.
Mike

There's a gradient button in which you can set a specific gradient. Or if you have the spline points at the right height, you can use the "Get spline point height" button first on a spline point, then use the "Apply spline point height" on the same spline point, repeat this for all spline points along the slope. I think the first option might be of help for finding the right path along the hill side, like the real surveyors would do it. The second one works ok too, but is better when you already know where your track is going to be. Not sureif those buttons are called exactly the way I named 'em, but i do think with a bit of trying you'll get the geste. :)

Slope tool

I made a tool for this, guess I will add it to my site so you can use it. Set one end at level of the bottom of the hill and the other at the top of the slope, then smooth. Next move around the slope to complete. As for the track bed, try to use my Hillside Road (213782:38009) to set under your track, like a fill.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys, i thaught there was a in-game tool to use in a specific way.

Auran should really develop one.

So i suppose practice makes perfect:D

And i will check out that tool once i get back onto my home PC (at work:p)
What's the address of your site so i can download it please?

Lay track first...unless it's a DEM...apply gradients...add mountains last

Enter the line: -surveyorfov=185 into your Trainzoptions file. (The numeral can be anywhere between 55-185).

Looking straight down on your track from above, and using the minimap, you can see if the curves are perfectly shaped, round (a radius), or unsemetrical, oval, or out of round. Use a radius gauge, template, or FT 15 Degree Radius track to get curves to the proper looking prototypical radius.

Extremely tight curves are 90m or less. (Some narrow gauge backwoods temporary mining or timber lines had much, much tighter radius).

Extremely steep gradients are greater than 4% (most mainlines no greater are 1.25-1.80 %).

I made a tool for this, guess I will add it to my site so you can use it. Set one end at level of the bottom of the hill and the other at the top of the slope, then smooth. Next move around the slope to complete. As for the track bed, try to use my Hillside Road (213782:38009) to set under your track, like a fill.

I can't find 213782:38009 on the DLS. I did find a Hillside Road 213782:38038 however. Is the same or similar?

Thanks

Enter the line: -surveyorfov=185 into your Trainzoptions file. (The numeral can be anywhere between 55-185).

Looking straight down on your track from above, and using the minimap, you can see if the curves are perfectly shaped, round (a radius), or unsemetrical, oval, or out of round. Use a radius gauge, template, or FT 15 Degree Radius track to get curves to the proper looking prototypical radius.

Extremely tight curves are 90m or less. (Some narrow gauge backwoods temporary mining or timber lines had much, much tighter radius).

Extremely steep gradients are greater than 4% (most mainlines no greater are 1.25-1.80 %).

Sorry im afraid im not good with this kind of thing could you explain it in simpler terms?

What I do is lay a section of track seperate it from other track by deleting a small section to track already smoothed to the land. Then raise every spline point by 20cm (to get rid of the ugly gap) use the smooth track - land tool (under track-laying, under the advanced tab). Then lower the track by 20cm then you have a smoothed gradient round curves whatever. The good thing about this tool is that if you lay lots of graded track you can smooth the side
of a hill, valley etc. Hope this helps

:Y:

Andy

On My Mangonia R-R I have one spiral tunnel going up (or down depending the direction of travel) It is electrified by hand (meaning the catenary is not part of the tunnel and was installed piece by piece maintaining the proper elevation for the pantograph). Doing all this is very hard and time consuming. Some I did by open method, some closed method (part of the mountain already made, some after doing it). Really, all the ingredients and tools are in the game, you just need ingenuity, desire and time.

If anyone wants to check out llebrez's Mangonia layout, it is on the DLS as Mangonia RR ver 1-1. I have reworked and uploaded it with permission but llebrez did most of the work. It is under my "name".

Updated tool

I found the missing, needed (38002) asset is "invisble track line", located under track section.

Thanks
Sorry about that, guess I was too quick to set it. Now I have updated the tool to include the trackline and set better instructions as follows-
A wide spline tool to smooth terrain slopes. First set one end at level of the bottom of the slope and the other at the top of the slope,
then adjust the top spline height just enough to get the tool straight and smooth the spline. Next, looking with wire frame view, move two squares over each time as you move
around slope to complete a smooth constant grade. Now you have a base to build the terrain variations on. For right of way grading, try to use my Hillside Road (213782:38009) to set under your track or road as a base, like a fill just above the top side of the slope where you want to set the right of way, this way you do not need to play with the terrain so much and will look more like real world constuction.

Back