15 inch gauge equipment (or similar)

I hope this all works OK. I am now hunting round to see if any other NG stock can be re-wheeled. Nobody has come for so far on the origin and availability of bird_d00's Simplex.

Afraid that Simplex has gone to Trainz Heaven, it was on the now deceased TPR Download Depot. bird_d00 was suffering from health issues a couple of years ago and nobody has heard or seen anything of him since. His Website still exists however the links are to TPR, http://www.lutrainz.com/other.html

Alternatively there is kevmt's Simplex, FR's Mary Ann which is on Trainzone not the DLS, I see you have utilised that at some point according to the DLS.

Another thought didn't nathanmallard have some miniature stuff at some point?

Then maybe the Rudyard Lake rolling stock which is 10 1/4" Gauge might possibly be usable, although I seem to remember they dug into the track!

Thanks Malc for the information. I somehow can't really visualise a 40hp Simplex on 15in track! I will look at the Rudyard Lake stuff. A pity MSTS and Trainz stuff isn't interchangeable as most if not all of Heywood's locos and stock together with the two Eaton Hall Simplexes are on UKTrainsim.

Following clam1952's suggestion I have had a look at cmburgess' Rudyards Lake stock. In my opinion the rolling stock is too small and the production of suitable bogies is probably beyond my limited abilities. However the locos are a different matter. Both the diesels and the steam locos have deep outside frames which effectively hide the wheels. The diesels are just visible if one is close but the discrepancy in gauge is not really noticeable. With the two steam locos one cannot see the wheels at all.

The only drawbacks are that they have no visible drivers and in the case of the steam locos, no interior although a.cabfront is there. One would also want to change the interior of the two diesels that have the TTTE Rusty cabview <kuid2:142268:55011:3> to the green one <kuid2:142268:55012:2>.

There is also Trainboi01's Northern Rock 2-6-2 loco but this appears to be 50% over scale as it's length is about 32ft whereas the real one is 24ft.

Now available on the DLS are the following:

15in woodtrack Point Left <kuid:37096:101272>
15in woodtrack Point Right <kuid:37096:101277>
NG15 ballast <kuid:37096:101264>
NG15 flat ballast <kuid:37096:101283>

The points are derived from Mike10's original 2ft points which I modified to work with Andi06's script. They do not have a ballast base to make them more versatile. You can add ballast by using the NG15 ballast scenery spline underneath the point. If you would prefer your track to be at ground level you can lower the point and track spline points by 0.2 metres and then use the NG15 flat ballast spline.

They are designed to go with Clam1952's NG15 track and I would like to thank him for allowing me to use his textures. For the invisible track to make the actual junction I use CL Invisible Track Red-TUME <kuid2:82412:9999019:1>.

For those of you not familiar with Andi06's animated points, a quick guide. Lay a length of invisible track from one of the green diamonds to outside of the point. Make a second track from that spline point to the blue diamond. Make a third track from the other green diamond to the external spline point to make the junction. Now move the junction formed to be at the red diamond. You will probably find that it is not quite central when you test it and the train will wobble as it passes so it will need fine tuning. One further tip; if you lower the track after making the junction, don't forget to lower the junction spline point otherwise the train will do a lovely little hop as it goes over the junction!

Thought's just occurred to me. If you take the design for the old NWNGR loco Gowrie, remove the watertanks and the coal bunker, scaled down the loco's base width until it's about 1.5m wide (definitely no wider than that), or whatever the frame's width would be once you take the 9inches out of the bogey gauge, then add an appropriately designed tender to the engine, and you've got a starting basis for a 15inch gauge loco right there! Other adjustments I'd make would be the width of the buffer beam at the front of the engine and the addition of some form of running boards...

Back