Coming Soon: Calabash & Tuscarora R.R.

Thanks, everybody! @code_red: that is bdaneal's Baldwin light 2-8-2....

http://steammachine.com/bdaneal/

I "reskinned" it (slapped the lettering on, that is); will upload it after I reskin it according to Ben's preferred procedure (this one uses the mesh instead of aliasing).

@grogstop - Thanks! I took several pages from your notebook to do it; especially the grassy areas.

@sirgibby - Yes, a doozy indeed. Still need to send it your way, too.

Thanks again!

Rob

Absolutely brilliant. I'll be looking forward to it being up on the DLS. It's obvious that a lot of time, planning and effort went into it. Approximatley how many boards is it?

I "reskinned" it (slapped the lettering on, that is); will upload it after I reskin it according to Ben's preferred procedure (this one uses the mesh instead of aliasing).

@grogstop - Thanks! I took several pages from your notebook to do it; especially the grassy areas.

Thanks again!

Rob

Wow so much steam on that website...I must d/l them all now!:)

Where did you get the steam loco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcrawford4

Thanks again!

Rob

Absolutely brilliant. I'll be looking forward to it being up on the DLS. It's obvious that a lot of time, planning and effort went into it. Approximatley how many boards is it?

Thanks, leeferr! 16 boards exactly. Operates point-to-point, with a turntable at one end and a wye (albeit kinda jammed in) at the other, with a branch line and portal. I confess that rather than actually decorate a logging camp, I "cheated" and used a portal instead. It makes it easier (for me at least) to manage multiple trains if I can send one to the logging camp and have the computer turn it around and load it while I fiddle with the other, instead of having to switch and load at the camp myself.

BTW the C&T is sort of designed to operate two daily trains - one short merchandise freight (or mixed train, if I ever get around to repainting one of Ben Dorsey's TOTC combines) that handles the reefers and the odd boxcar or two from Calabash to the interchange at Tuscarora - and one logging turn that hauls empty lumber flats from the pier at Calabash to the sawmill at Tuscarora. There it picks up the logging cars and runs to the logging camp, back to the sawmill, picks up loaded lumber flats and back to the pier.

An optional third train can represent the Big Class One R.R.; it can run between two portals picking up loads and dropping off empties at Tuscarora. So three trains total. Depending on the operator's patience, the portals can be set to turn trains around as frequently or as slowly as one wishes. I seem to find that setting the logging camp portal to 20 mins. real time and the Big Class One R.R. portals to 45 mins. real time works well if you want continuous running (i.e., no layover/go make a cup of coffee/read a book time). It takes about 30 mins. to run end to end at 30 mph.

Will post back with a screenshot/map.

Cheers,
Rob

[Edit: Forgot to mention - I've decided to put this on the DLS after all. Waiting for Auran to approve or reject one of my sound effect files first. Assuming it goes up all right, I'll send up the others and then the layout after that. Thanks for noticin' :)]

Last edited:
Back