LV - The Forks of the Delaware

Status
Not open for further replies.
man, what a route is look really good,, you have put time into this... can't wait to get a hol dof it btw is it 09 or 06

Behind the CNJ

Running the trackage behind the CNJ Phillipsburg line...........

the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western operated on what was often referred to as the "Washington Branch" or the Washington Secondary......since it connected to the towns of Hackettstown and Washington, NJ.

1_407.jpg

GP7 #964 on a yard shuttle assignment....

1_405.jpg

There were two bridges spanning Stockton St......the Jersey Central used the lower tracks; the Lackawanna used the upper

1_411.jpg

The bluffs below Washington & Chambers St.
1_415.jpg

Behind Jersey St alley
1_419a.jpg

Approach to the freight facilities
1_422.jpg

Freight sheds across So. Main St from the main terminal.
1_426.jpg

Last edited:
My only complaint so far is what i can tell with the Easton train station (and I'm only stating this out becasue it looks like a custom built train station) the platform dosen't extent far enough to the east. it's almost 3 times shorter than the real thing also i don't think the eastom train station had a brick patio style platform. I'm also questioning about weather the station was brick red, or yellowish color as how it is now.

also in this screen shot
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/Kree8tiviT/p1_rdg/1_235.jpg
I don't think there was ever a track there below that train station.

Also for this screen shot
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr209/Kree8tiviT/p1_rdg/1_227.jpg
That warehouse was a 1 track curved warehouse. not a 2 track. but that may just be nitpicking. i can live with out that curved warehouse. but i think it should be a single track instead of duel.

I've been studying the track plans of Easton very indepthly for the route I'm working on and that's why i pointed those few things out.

other than that it looks like one nice looking route that i will be downloading as soon as it's up :wave:

continuing.....DLW

The station at Phillipsburg was shared........
1_434.jpg

Jersey Central using the southern side of building, Lackawanna used the northern side
1_437.jpg

1_436.jpg

1_441.jpg

at the foot of Market St.
1_443.jpg

heading up for the bridge across the Delaware River
1_442.jpg

Junction with CNJ
1_444.jpg

Last edited:
on the lower DLW

The Lackawanna GP7 would have crossed the Delaware using the CNJ bridge.........and on thru the cut at Mt Ida.
Then, after a "run-around" maneuver, return to New Jersey in opposite direction,.... but, before the CNJ junction west of the terminal, would have taken the Bel-Del cutoff........southbound thru Mt. Mendi

Now running long-hood forward, at opposite end of train after run-around

approaching PRR Bel-Del shops and yard
1_449.jpg

1_459.jpg

below Howard St. and above the yard
1_452.jpg

overview: yard and service facilities
1_467.jpg

crossing, yard access road from Howard St
1_479.jpg

try this just for fun ...........
rather imposing view of loco
1_477.jpg

and continuing below McKeen St. area
1_493.jpg

Last edited:
continu....DLW

At the lower end of Bel-Del yard, another "run-around" is necessary to access the Lackawanna lower yard

uncoupled for "run-around"
1_49903.jpg

heading above the switch at the cross-over
1_49911.jpg

re-connected, ready to push
1_49923.jpg

approaching lower yard.....above the Pennsy's Bel-Del mainline
1_49928.jpg

into the lower yard tracks
1_49932.jpg

Last edited:
on the Bel-Del

Meanwhile........directly below on the Bel-Del line

PRR passenger service.....shuttles commuters and tourists for the Pocono Mountains from Trenton/Philadelphia northbound along the Delaware River on the Bel-Del branch
1_510.jpg

PA1 5753 at the head
1_502.jpg

backed by unit 5757
1_504.jpg

running north along the Delaware river
1_508.jpg

passes below the Bel-Del yard and service facilities
1_516.jpg

1_518.jpg

after passing beneath the LV & CNJ bridges spanning the Delaware, and approaching the "Connector Bridge" junction
1_5577.jpg

PRR's Phillipsburg, NJ station.......across the river from Easton, Pa.
1_5579.jpg

Last edited:
Union Square, Phillipsburg

This area of Phillipsburg is called Union Square.........

The PRR station located at south side of the square, just off So. Main St.
1_5580.jpg

The bridge connecting Union Square with Easton, Pa.........referred to by locals as the "Free Bridge"........ since the bridge on Rt. 22 (today's I-78), was a toll bridge.......... part of the Delaware River Joint toll Bridge Authority
1_5589.jpg

another just-for-fun shot.....
Now, you have to imagine a backseat full of kids........ My older brother and I are making train whistle sounds out the windows, while my sister provides the "chugga-chugga" sound - LOL . It could have happened.
1_5584.jpg

On the north side of the square......Jimmy's Hot Dogs.....a local "institution!
Actually, the original hotdog stand was a small, free-standing shack which stood on the bank of the river closer to the bridge guard shack.
For those old enough to remember Saturday Night Live's John Belushi/Dan Akroyd's skit "...cheesburga, cheeseburga, cheeseburga. Pepsi, no Coke".........Jimmy's was that kind of place.
Several errant motorists, however, knocked the shack into the river....and after this happened 2 or 3 times, he relocated to the more permanent structure seen here....... Also known as "James-on-the-Delaware" (as opposed to, I suppose, James-IN-the Delaware).
1_5592.jpg

The building next to Jimmy's.......was a series of bars/lounges...also suffered its misfortunes.
I believe it was originally part of the PRR freight operations......however, around the time it was the Wardell Club, a derailment on the tracks caused a railcar to smash into side of building, creating a gaping hole.
They "plugged" the hole by permanently parking a disused railcar in front of it........and re-named the place "Box Car Lounge"

And the east side of the square was home to the old Union Square Hotel....railroad hotel.
1_5598.jpg

Last edited:
continue....PRR

Departing the Phillipsburg station and Union Square........

from the Morris St hill
1_523.jpg

along No. Main St
1_528.jpg

1_530.jpg

passing beneath Rt 22........ the bus terminal in this location was actually a Trailways Terminal.
1_549.jpg

continuing northbound behind Broad St.
1_538.jpg

below 4th St. & Broad
1_546.jpg

Last edited:
continue....PRR

The PRR Bel-Del branch continues north of Phillipsburg.......

At 5th & Broad.........entrance to the J.T.Baker Chemical Co.
1_577.jpg

passing below Baker chemical
1_558.jpg

Another Chemical plant, operated by Hoffman-LaRoche (now, Roche Chemical), is located further up the Bel-Del outside of Belvidere in White Township
1_560.jpg

and above the chemical plant...........approaching Hudson Yard
1_552.jpg

Hudson Yard, operated by the Lehigh & Hudson River Railroad.
1_572.jpg

At one time, the L&HR actually substantial service facilities here.....a turntable and coaling station and such........ But, they tore it all down to make room for more yard track.........especially after one of the floods when the river washed out some of the track.
1_568.jpg

1_589.jpg

exiting the Hudson Yard area, northbound
1_588.jpg

and northbound for the Marble Mountain area, enroute to Belvidere.
1_599.jpg

More to post....tomorrow.

Mark

Last edited:
I'm even more impressed...terrific stuff. And I just have to ask, where did you get the buicks and oldsmobiles?

at somepoint could you post an overhead shot of the map? to see how many baseboards and the size of the different areas?

at somepoint could you post an overhead shot of the map? to see how many baseboards and the size of the different areas?

I'll be interested in seeing that also. I'm working on the Bel-Del route that goes threw that area. My plans are to model the whole Bel-Del branch (about 100 miles i think) as well as about 3-5 miles of the LV branch that your doing.

I've been studying satellite photographs of the whole line from 1956 and 1963. getting all the track placement correct.

Okay, I have to ask. What is the KUID on those fantastic looking 1950s cars. Not the '57 Chevys, the other ones.

Great Job on this!!! Cant wait for the release! If you need someone to test it I'm also from the Lehigh Valley so I should be able to give it a decent test!

Picking -up where last left-off

Trying to continue where I last left-off at:
The Lehigh & Hudson River units prepare to get underway....

a pair of c420's.......unit#28 at the lead
1_601.jpg

with assist by #29
1_602.jpg

Depart Hudson Yard
1_612.jpg

and pass below the J.T.Baker Chemical plant
1_613.jpg

Leaving the chemical plant at 5th & Broad St.
1_617.jpg

and passing behind the neighborhoods along Broad St
1_627.jpg

reaching Rt. 22 (now, I-78) and the toll bridge........
1_628.jpg

just noticed - this shot will look better once I get that bridge painted lt. blue more like the protype. (Makes note to self, and adds yet another item to the never-ending "to-do" list)

along No. Main St. in Phillipsburg, NJ
1_631.jpg

No. Main & Morris St
1_634.jpg

No. Main on approach to Union Square, Phillipsburg, NJ
1_637.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back