GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

U50-SP-2.jpg

interesting to find out Yosemite Valley 2-6-0 29 survives in Mexico on display
The only one left, unfortunately. These would have made ideal tourist engines had they stayed in the market.
yvrr_26_by_trainboi-dcdyr15.png

Nearly completed and wearing her silly little spark arrestor (it'll be a seasonal mesh when complete, to reflect actual practice). All I have now are the brakes, reversing gear, and some pipe rigging.

Great start, it'll be good to have some good early UP stuff up to date. Maybe when I stop being distracted I'll get around to my end of that project (or, in other words, building seven locomotives with an unreasonable amount of detail, and leaving Curtis to do all the actual hard work).
Speaking of an unreasonable amount of detail, this side of No. 26 is now complete (I still need to finish the power reverser on the opposite side):
yvrr_26_by_trainboi-dce15w0.png

TweetsieDude - Is that lattice work alpha channel or actual mesh work? Either way it looks good.

Struggling myself whether to use an alpha on the screens or actual mesh.

Fun with the array modifier for mesh screens:

U50-screens.jpg

Wanna see a major jump in tri count, that's a sure fire way to do it! :eek:

Try 3D rivets sometime - they account for over half the tris on the 26's tender. :eek: Makes for easy LoD work, though, if you know how to texture right.
Speaking of, that's probably what I'd suggest for your vents there - have the highest LoD with a 3D mesh, then jump to a 2D alpha plane on the second LoD.

I ported over my C32-8 from sketchup to blender to finally start properly blenderizing it. Hit remove doubles, it deleted 77,000 vertices (and about 55,000 polys along with it). After that, I worked on isolating my handrails so I could decimate them...turns out they were accounting for over a third of the remaining 84,000 odd polys. Note to self...never ever ever ever ever modeling in sketchup again. Goodness...

Chickened out and just went with the alpha. It has just over 33,000 plys as it stands. That's everything; trucks included. Usually set a limit of 30k for a single locomotive, but this one is two in one. 60k seems reasonable, right? hah.

I know 30k is about right for just the bogeys these days, but I'm still in trs2004 mode. TS2009 at best. Also, it seems I've been trying to catch up on 14+ years of content creation in just a little over a year. At times all of the new tricks and methods seem overwhelming. So, maybe the next one will push 200k(with nary a double sided alpha). Still haven't come to terms with LOD either. Just can't seem to grasp how having 3-5 meshes swapping in and out of memory is better than just one. Maybe I'm missing something.

BTW, I still haven't figured out how to get the alpha channels to show up correctly in the Blender rendering. They look fine in 3d view and export into trainz just great, but they just show up white in the renders.

Honestly it depends on how detailed you want it to be modelled. I am setting myself a max limit of around 120K polygons for the loco, and currently it’s at 75K so I have a lot of room to add more detail.

If you want a model that’s more performance friendly then you could add those details in an alpha channel. But I want to put out a loco that is very detailed, so I went ahead and modelled the radiator grilles.

Back