GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Preparing the lighting for interior textures, more on the forums at www.pasoena.com

5-2.jpg

I've thought about holding a party and turning on a sound system that sounds like an earthquake...just to scare people!:hehe:

You want sound system. My school just bought a NEW $12,000 plus system:hehe:. I say we put on some rock and roll and maybe some newer country:eek:.

Matt

What gauge is it sim?

Looks pretty narrow seeing how close the pistons are.

I don't really know, I'm not making it for Trainz, it's just something I decided to make in Blender. When I started I had picked 1 Blender unit=2 feet but I don't know how much I'm following that scale. At that scale, though, it's standard gauge.

Simulatortrain- Apologies if this was on your 'to do' list and you knew this already, but the wheels and cylinders on your model would be improved by setting the faces as smooth.

If you're using Blender, in edit mode select the faces you want to appear smooth, press W and select Set Smooth. However, you'll also need to add an edge split modifier, otherwise Blender will smooth the faces to all the surrounding ones which isn't what you want. The 'edge split' modifier is essential for fine control over smoothing. You can control which faces are smoothed together based on edge angle and also based on the edges that you mark as sharp (Ctrl + E, Mark Sharp).

Cheers

R3

Simulatortrain- Apologies if this was on your 'to do' list and you knew this already, but the wheels and cylinders on your model would be improved by setting the faces as smooth.

If you're using Blender, in edit mode select the faces you want to appear smooth, press W and select Set Smooth. However, you'll also need to add an edge split modifier, otherwise Blender will smooth the faces to all the surrounding ones which isn't what you want. The 'edge split' modifier is essential for fine control over smoothing. You can control which faces are smoothed together based on edge angle and also based on the edges that you mark as sharp (Ctrl + E, Mark Sharp).

Cheers

R3
Thanks, I didn't know how to do this.

I don't really know, I'm not making it for Trainz, it's just something I decided to make in Blender. When I started I had picked 1 Blender unit=2 feet but I don't know how much I'm following that scale. At that scale, though, it's standard gauge.

When exporting for TRS keep in mind that one Blender unit is equal to one meter.

Cheers,
John

When exporting for TRS keep in mind that one Blender unit is equal to one meter.

Cheers,
John

Thanks, I'll remember that if I use it for Trainz content.

86box.jpg

I needed to make one of these for a secret project, any guesses what it is? The project, not the car. Obviously it's an 86 foot boxcar. (Hint: the Soviets had one, I think the US had one, and Popular Science had an article about them in the 70s or 80s.)

Last edited:
Well, just a guess here, but if the soviets and the us had one, im guessing its a nuclear warhead transport car during the cold war.

Well, just a guess here, but if the soviets and the us had one, im guessing its a nuclear warhead transport car during the cold war.

You're very close, so I'll go ahead and say. It's a car to launch missiles from. Before you say it's not strong enough for that (which it probably isn't) I'm just doing it the way I saw it in the old Popular Science article. I'll be doing standard missile-less 86' boxcars, too. The missile one will be animated with the pantograph key. The first time will open the roof, the second will raise the missile, the third will lower the missile, and the fourth will close the roof. I'll also need to make some kind of 50' boxcar as a control car where the end opens for an antenna to come out of.

You're very close, so I'll go ahead and say. It's a car to launch missiles from. Before you say it's not strong enough for that (which it probably isn't) I'm just doing it the way I saw it in the old Popular Science article. I'll be doing standard missile-less 86' boxcars, too. The missile one will be animated with the pantograph key. The first time will open the roof, the second will raise the missile, the third will lower the missile, and the fourth will close the roof. I'll also need to make some kind of 50' boxcar as a control car where the end opens for an antenna to come out of.

Now THAT is a unique project

Back