GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

A combination of JR's scripts, extra scripting I paid someone for, and LOTS of rage trying to get it to finally work.

LOL! Steve, I totally understand. That's why most of my stuff never was released, but then I lost the flash drive with them...no stress now...lol.

And so a promised update on my Swedish State Railways class Sa project.

I decided when I started this project to try to create it using a PBR workflow. My thought was to set up a PBR material with the corresponding textures in my 3D program and make it look good there before trying to convert it into Trainz's limited (and not so much physically based) shading system. But to my delight N3V announced some weeks ago that the next Trainz version will support PBR materials, so hopefully I don't have to do much converting, but it will just work and look good straight out of the box!

Since the last post I have UV-unwrapped the entire engine and painted some basic textures. This included manually painting a bump map (to be converted into a normal map) containing thousands of rivets and bolt heads. Feel free to compare with a photo of the real engine to see that I haven't cheated! :cool:

9hiHOF1.jpg

An old image of the work-in-progress bump map, with the rivets painted in red to make them easier to see.

xdx4JLg.jpg

SJ Sa 1277 as of today, with a PBR material rendered in a path tracer. It will probably not look as good in the game, but hopefully this will not be far from what we can expect in the next version of Trainz! :)

There is still a lot of tweaking to be done to the textures including weathering and playing around more with the roughness texture to make the shiny parts less plain. But before that I will probably start modeling the interior.

Cheers!

We've got cigarettes, bread, even ice cream - all we need now is some whiskey and a number of wild, wild women

22049789_1649020015140490_6004784556319808900_n.jpg

The vending machines are not for T:ANE but a historical project I am involved with. I did, however, find a number of objects suited for game use in my abundance of project folders. But how about exporters in this day and age? I have 3DS 2015 and 2018 respectively.

And so a promised update on my Swedish State Railways class Sa project.

I decided when I started this project to try to create it using a PBR workflow. My thought was to set up a PBR material with the corresponding textures in my 3D program and make it look good there before trying to convert it into Trainz's limited (and not so much physically based) shading system. But to my delight N3V announced some weeks ago that the next Trainz version will support PBR materials, so hopefully I don't have to do much converting, but it will just work and look good straight out of the box!

Since the last post I have UV-unwrapped the entire engine and painted some basic textures. This included manually painting a bump map (to be converted into a normal map) containing thousands of rivets and bolt heads. Feel free to compare with a photo of the real engine to see that I haven't cheated! :cool:
*snip*
An old image of the work-in-progress bump map, with the rivets painted in red to make them easier to see.

*snip*
SJ Sa 1277 as of today, with a PBR material rendered in a path tracer. It will probably not look as good in the game, but hopefully this will not be far from what we can expect in the next version of Trainz! :)

There is still a lot of tweaking to be done to the textures including weathering and playing around more with the roughness texture to make the shiny parts less plain. But before that I will probably start modeling the interior.

Cheers!

Good grief, that's spectacular!

Yojimbo, there is no exporter for later versions of 3DS, and I don't know when the last one was made, but for TANE you can use the .fbx file system (3DS and most other programs can export to .fbx natively). Those vending machines look really good.

Good grief, that's spectacular!

Yojimbo, there is no exporter for later versions of 3DS, and I don't know when the last one was made, but for TANE you can use the .fbx file system (3DS and most other programs can export to .fbx natively). Those vending machines look really good.

I found that out. I just need to get to grips with the mechanics of FBX by means of something suffiently simple :D

As for the vending machines, I am pretty happy with the result myself as well, only pity is he who comissioned the models build in H0 scale, because they would be really nice in a 60'ies themed layout, but are a little outside the capacity of a 3D printer in that scale. Maybe if I convince him to swap H0 for 1:32....

Last edited:
I found that out. I just need to get to grips with the mechanics of FBX by means of something suffiently simple :D

And then an even simpler version for me and we are set lol, Nice work mate the ciggy machines would have to be rare as hens teeth these days.
Cheers Mick.

And then an even simpler version for me and we are set lol, Nice work mate the ciggy machines would have to be rare as hens teeth these days.
Cheers Mick.

Luckily a lot of collectors cull their stocks and put some gems up for auction, along with a lot of nice hi-def images and dimensions. That way modelling the machines was a nice break from the frustrating world of historical railway infrastructure :D

Hello from France,

@korvtiger : This is certainely the most amazing loc seen in Trainz... Hope it will look like your last pic in the next version of Trainz !!!!

Very friendly, Marc

Hi yjimbo
thanks for your reply
looking forward to any releases
Tonny

I will start out with a number of small but necessary items - lamps, benches, loudhailers, signage etc. before I move on to more complicated stuff like Litras Mo and F. The Litra F has still to make it into the game, whereas the Litra H2 has a bit of headstart in that department. Anyway, I do seem to recall that you were trying to recreate the area around Sojakagefabrikken, so a Litra Mh should come in handy as well?

The large screenshot is from a Swiss themed layout I am working on, suitable to line up most of my locomotives following a grand scale error and warning culling. They now run in T:ANE without a hitch.
22424532_1662489420460216_3871573803064295058_o.jpg

Back