GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

25242277862_f930bba0d8_h.jpg

Beginnings of a Rotank

I was surprised that GMAX 1.2 was still available along with the Trainz Asset Creation Studio. Is anyone still using this tool to create assets, especially T:ANE assets?

I have seen some discussion that it still works, that materials still work fine, and that the converters still work, but I am not sure what licensing restrictions mean for limiting future converter upgrades.

I don't want to hijack this forum, so if there is a willingness to share your experience, I will start a new thread. This information would be a great help for the entire community, and I hope I can generate some interest in getting this information out there...

Gmax 1.2 still works, just like it always has and by using the old Auran 3dS max4 exporters, even bump mapping can be used.

Gmax can never have a new exporter and someday MS will do something to Win 10 that will stop Gmax from ether installing or working. I used Gmax for 5 years and found it very buggy, been using Blender for last 7 years and would never go back.

When I first installed T:ANE I put a half dozen of my older items in it and most worked with little to no changes. Bogeys on traincars didn't - neither did splines but both have been changed considerably from what worked in TRS2004. and TS2012 pre SP1.

I still build using Gmax and my recent items work in T:ANE. I'm sure if they didn't I'd be buried alive in complaints and questions.:hehe:

Are they fancy? No. Do they need to be fancy? Also no. There is of course a need for super-detailed and sophisticated items but not all items need to be built that way. Locos, freight cars, and passenger cars - yes. Stations and perhaps line-side industries also yes - but pretty much everything else no (or not to the degree the aforementioned items do). I'd think requiring each and every item to be "all that it can be" would actually be detrimental to Trainz. New item submissions would drop drastically as would content creatorship. Some couldn't - others wouldn't.

Ben

Back