GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Yeah. I was out earlier today and I looked more carefully to see if there were any variations. But since my observations, I am convinced that they were merely modifications made to the original cars. Frankly, I'm still puzzled as to what they're called. I just know that they're manufactured by Kinki Sharyo. I am interested to see what the Siemens S70s will look like, as they have several different visual differences between the variants out there (between Minneapolis, San Diego, Houston, Charlotte, Portland, Salt Lake City, Edmonton, and whoever else).

6hubth.png

Still working on it...

Started playing around with ambient occlusion in Blender. Set the baked layer to 50% opacity, because it was just too much at 100. Not quite convinced of the results, but it's a start!
rs3u.jpg

There is always a first try and very often a first mess .....which also leads very often to a great result...if you do not stop trying after the first failure .
keep it up!
Rail4Pete

Started playing around with ambient occlusion in Blender. Set the baked layer to 50% opacity, because it was just too much at 100. Not quite convinced of the results, but it's a start!
I'd recommend you instead bake the engine with a shorter attentuation distance. Go into the "World" settings tab, and under "gather" you can adjust the distance, which by default is 10 meters. I usually go for something between 4 and 10 feet, or between 1.3 and about 3 for default or metric units.

I'd recommend you instead bake the engine with a shorter attentuation distance. Go into the "World" settings tab, and under "gather" you can adjust the distance, which by default is 10 meters. I usually go for something between 4 and 10 feet, or between 1.3 and about 3 for default or metric units.

Tried it, and it helped some. Thanks. Maybe it has something to do with my lazy az uv mapping. For instance, the radiator louvers, which I grouped with the whole side of the long hoods instead of separate. It comes out pure black in the baked texture, along with some unexplained other black triangles. And the reason I do that is to ease the pain in trying to line up stripes and such in the textures.

At full strength and some touch up on another locomotive with less "grouping" the baking looks really good. Go figure..

Yeah, any two faces overlapping on the map are subject to some kind of error with baking if you're not very careful. For instance, those radiator louvers were probably black because Blender baked the hood after baking the louvers, overwriting the louver color with the black of the face under them. It's possible to overlap faces and still keep baking, but you have to very carefully choose the order in which to bake specific objects. UV mapping can result in other weird effects as well, so changing it up is often a way to help figure out texture issues.

General Railway Signals Cantilevers with 8x20 lights, thinking about 3 skins for em (Clean / Slightly Dirty / and Rusted)

HtIPBNU.jpg

Cheers,
-Andrew

Back