Page 1008 of 1009 FirstFirst ... 85089089589981006100710081009 LastLast
Results 15,106 to 15,120 of 15124

Thread: GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

United States of America, North Carolina, Dunn

Few new and old projects.

~Dusten

Quote Originally Posted by EverTrainz View Post
    Out of them all the Class 83 is the most likely to get completed soon. I’ve got a weeks time of no school and pandemic-induced houseboundness so we will see how far that gets. The Class 40 is a more ubiquitous loco and thus I’ve been getting some criticism from another to get the shape right, which is slowly progressing.

They look splendid Ron!! But I really want to know how far off is the Black 5? I know you've been carefully tending to it for quite some time. Is it near completion yet?
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW

Hi Tanker, somewhere in modifying it I botched up the size of the taper boiler, and I’ve found drawings that I’ll need to get into blender to properly scale it back down to the right size, along with proper drawings for a bunch of other components. It’s not too far off in terms of mesh completion but still needs some work done.
    Regards Ron

Ah! That's understandable. I am still working on scaling and modifying the components of the 4MT and I am surprised that it is taking so long. But it's better not to rush an unfinished product and I'm sure the Black 5 is going to look even better when it's done. Just look how your Fish Vans turned out!

Thanks for the speedy response too!
    Last edited by Tanker46; March 24th, 2020 at 05:04 PM.
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW

Certainly when doing 3D models especially when drawings for each and every part aren't available (eg the vast majority) it's important to always check proportions and make sure things look right, often this is the hardest part with weird shapes like boilers and curvy diesel loco front ends.

Good luck on the 4MT, I'm sure it's going to look fantastic as well when done!
    Regards Ron

Thanks! I am hoping I can get it done by the time you finish the Black Five! Then they can work the Southern and Midland Region together!

Regarding your last screenshot of the Black Five. The textures of your locomotives and rolling stock always have such stunning quality! It doesn't look like a model at all but an actual locomotive!

[IMG]A3 on fish Birmingham by Ron Hessar, on Flickr[/IMG]

When I release the TRS19 version of the 4MT is there any way you could show me how to texture it like that? I'm captivated by it and I would love to learn how to texture like that!
    Last edited by Tanker46; March 24th, 2020 at 09:28 PM.
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW

I can definitely help, when I get to (re) texturing the Black 5 I might record the footage of me painting it with annotations or something like that, so people can see the process.
    Regards Ron

Blog Entries

This should keep me busy for a while.
    Toujours Prêt!

United States of America, Pittsburgh Pistolvania
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazytrain View Post
    This should keep me busy for a while.
    yeah buddy

That would be so unbelievably helpful! Part of the reason I take so long with my models is I can't seem to grasp two things: Crafting detailed mesh pieces and decent texturing. I know there are many aspiring content creators that would be thankful if you chose to do that!

I honestly think that this new method of texturing will provide a huge jump in graphics detail for a lot of future Trainz models! It's going to be a pleasure to see how your models develop in the future Ron!
    Tanker46

Member of TCWW

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker46 View Post
    ....... Crafting detailed mesh pieces ......
    Regarding this the best advice I have is to just try to find good pics of the object from all angles, which is often the hardest part as most shots will focus on the “bigger picture” of the whole, suppose, 4MT and/or its train. Digging thru Flickr by searching the number of any preserved locos and sifting through pics often gives a few decent pics. Although if you’re in the UK you can visit a preserved line and get all the reference material goodies you want (sadly not applicable to us).

Try to sketch out the general shape in vertices and use a combination of extruding and beveling from there to get the exact shape you want. It takes some time to get the hang of it but once you do the process becomes alot quicker .... until you come across the next component that you can’t find any good pics of!
    Regards Ron

Blog Entries

One of the most interesting things about model making to me is not only getting shapes right, but understanding why they are shaped that way. A lot of it has to do with the different manufacturing techniques and processes employed during the time period modeled. Getting a general sense of the mechanical layout of the various components of the modeled objects will also go a long way to understand those mysterious shapes involved as well. Thinking not only in terms of the shape, but "What does it do?". Why is it there? etc. Does it make sense?
    Toujours Prêt!

This is very true, especially when it comes to mechanical parts and things like that. I often find the brakegear on a loco or coach bogie to be very interesting, as it's a very complex series of levers and rods, often interconnected in more ways than you'd think
    Regards Ron

Blog Entries

Brake gear is interesting, but it's something that I'd been shying away from. Mostly due to a self imposed poly limit on the models. Started looking towards LOD lately to solve the problem and as it stands, I have quite a few early models that start out at LOD 3-5 anyways.
    Toujours Prêt!

United States of America, North Carolina, Dunn

~Dusten