GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

7bba147a0ad15e1e23856cdae8e659d1.png

2deb0f7a55cd384183d591669ba41dd8.png

efed1a76f761ec91d73cb432ff947a86.png

@Chris2001Trainz2010, is what you see here any better? Or should the details be turned down even more?

I usually turn my rivets transparency to 50%. The thing with your rivets (my personal opinion) is that the outer black shadow is to well defined and should be lightened up a bit. Rivets, even on a grey tender, you dont see them to well shown.

@Chris2001Trainz2010, is what you see here any better? Or should the details be turned down even more?

Look, i'm gonna be honest: those don't look like rivets. They look like you took an empty circle with no shading and copy-pasted it all over the model. Same goes for the line detail, it just doesn't look right.

While i don't model, i do have experience doing rivet repainting from scratch, and i agree with Chance. Rivets should be slightly darker than the main texture on the outer part, and slightly lighter than the main texture on the inner part.It kinda depends on the size of the rivet. If it's really small, say 3 pixels by 3 pixels, i wouldn't make it a square, i'd make it a cross-like shape. if it's 5x5, i'd leave the corners untouched. You just kinda have to experiment and see what works best.

I used to use JR's F7 blank as a basis for my own rivets, and they're probably a better example of how to do rivets. I'm not saying to copy them, but i'm saying it'd be worth taking a look and gathering some ideas.

3D modeled rivets (in my opinion) cause a lot of polys. I always texture them on so as to limit the poly count. Then again, I also dont use normal maps. But every modeler is different.

Last edited:
Looking good Matt! Could you remind me what voltage the line had?

Thank you! This system was rated at 50kv or 50,000 volts. They used this level of voltage to increase the maximum range of the electrification, eliminating the need for extra power lines and substations along the route.

Yep, 25KV AC through the overhead line and 25KV AC through the feeder wire to decrease the number of substations. But was the frequency at 50HZ or 60HZ ?

WIP: Kaffenkahn (barge)

31m long, 3.57m wide, 1.13m high, approx. 50 tons of payload. A kind of inland navigation vessel which was used for centuries in Germany:

Kaffenkahn.jpg

Yep, 25KV AC through the overhead line and 25KV AC through the feeder wire to decrease the number of substations. But was the frequency at 50HZ or 60HZ ?

50KV at 60HZ. One extra piece of infrastructure did have to be built though. A series capacitor station was placed towards the center of the route used to boost the voltage towards the beginning of the main line.

Nice steeple cab pweiser! Reminds me of the prewar American Flyer steeple cabs, like the 3110 or 7011.

Like the bogeys and couplers, the pantograph is a separate asset, already built (fits on the A-frames on the roof). If compared side by side, it would be apparent how much taller this one is than an average GE steeple-cab: built for a Class 1 railroad, not a traction/short line. Sort of like a New Haven EY-2 compared to other Baldwin-Westinghouse steeple-box cabs. (It also has a trolley pole, but for bootstrap use only - to run the compressor and raise the pantograph.)

@gp792 - Sorry, no Christmas upload this year - this one turns out to be more involved than expected, and maybre I'm slowing down a little. (g)

Yes! I love it! Would love to see one with a pantograph too but man I love it.
:Y:

Back