GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Render.png

render.png

Really loving the intricate plumbing on the 9000. Looks awesome. Can't wait to see more. The 800 looks good as well.

As far as I can work it out, this is what fully animated walschaerts valve gear should look like... note that the lifting link needs to move as well and as it has a fixed length the die block oscillates in the expansion link. This is the first

[Link removed.]

To keep things on topic, here's a screenshot.

[Screenshot removed.]

Paul

Hot damn, a new Hughes Crab! Looks spectacular dude!

Paul --

All I can say is "wow!~!" I'm just trying to remember what it is. "Boston Crab" springs to mind -- but that's wrestling. Hugh's Crab?
It is indeed a Hughes/Fowler LMS Crab. Here's another of Hughes' creations, the 1925 rebuild of the 'Dreadnought' 4-6-0...

2020-09-03_182321.png

Paul

Y'all. Learn from my mistake. MAP OBJECTS AS YOU GO..... it will save you so much time and pain. That's mainly why the Horizon is taking so long. Have a good night

The completed Walschaerts Valve Gear:
Not quite right, the valve spindle should be (usually) connected below the combination lever/valve rod joint. As you have it the combination lever isn't doing anything to effect the valve travel. As it is though, it's still better than most of the models we already have in Trainz...

Y'all. Learn from my mistake. MAP OBJECTS AS YOU GO..... it will save you so much time and pain. That's mainly why the Horizon is taking so long. Have a good night
Why is it a mistake? Maybe I've been doing it wrong the last 20 years, but I always map last, once the mesh is finalised. This avoids unwrapping the mesh multiple times while you tweak it.

Using Smart UV Unwrap and the UVPackMaster (paid for) addon, unwrapping takes only a few minutes in Blender.

Johnson 2441 Class Condensing Tank, late condition:

2020-09-05_223658.png

Paul

I should clarify, and thats my bad. Whenever you have objects that you're going to clone, i.e. bolts, grab irons, piping, it's better to make one, map, and then clone it. Other objects that may need refinement towards the end can wait, but I'm having to go back and map multiples of the same thing. Just a process I'm learning works better and a little more efficiently for me.

Why is it a mistake? Maybe I've been doing it wrong the last 20 years, but I always map last, once the mesh is finalised. This avoids unwrapping the mesh multiple times while you tweak it.

Using Smart UV Unwrap and the UVPackMaster (paid for) addon, unwrapping takes only a few minutes in Blender.

Johnson 2441 Class Condensing Tank, late condition:
[Image]

Not quite right, the valve spindle should be (usually) connected below the combination lever/valve rod joint. As you have it the combination lever isn't doing anything to effect the valve travel. As it is though, it's still better than most of the models we already have in Trainz...
Paul
Thanks for the tip (And the compliment). I will try and modify it. And as always, very nice work.
I should clarify, and thats my bad. Whenever you have objects that you're going to clone, i.e. bolts, grab irons, piping, it's better to make one, map, and then clone it. Other objects that may need refinement towards the end can wait, but I'm having to go back and map multiples of the same thing. Just a process I'm learning works better and a little more efficiently for me.

I like to unwrap my mesh last using Blender's Smart UV Unwrap. It saves a lot of time. However, your method for the pipes and cloned objects would save even more time.:)

Made major headway with the cab:

vkNF3Z4PUDo9wbK26
AF1QipP0xSK9qkxGQQnt5l3i8BnKXDw_8QwzFLlj9JRZ

Last edited:
Back