Page 649 of 1047 FirstFirst ... 149549599639647648649650651659699749 ... LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,735 of 15700

Thread: GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Take a look at my C&O/B&O dome car, I used Budd cross section plans.

Thanks whitepass, I will check it out. I just downloaded a whole batch of your items last night. It's been a while.

I do have a question for you regarding your fluting 'technique'. Is the fluting on your cars welded to the body itself? Or did you keep them as separate objects (or elements)? I am trying to apply texture to the letterboard but it seems to go across the entire car sans the fluting. I thought if I weld the fluting to the car it would cut the body into pieces (i.e. between the fluting). I think it may be making things more complicated, but I thought I would explore that option. I can always simply make the cuts on the model where they need to be and keep the fluting separate from the body.

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

The fluting is made so that I can drop it with LOD. Also the roof and skirting fluting are not the same as the body. The name board is also not part of the body.

Okay I thought so. It would seem like that method would be good for the reasons you mentioned (LOD for low-poly at long distance).
    It seems easier as well. It's probably going to by my next resort if this doesn't work out. :P

I have redone the fluting, I was able to find a good photo of the fluting side-on and hopefully I got it right. Here are three renders,
    I'm using the base model again and applying the fluting to the sides. I have been able to weld the fluting pieces together, and I came close to welding
    the fluting to the side of the car (using vertex welding here) but for some reason it came 'undone' again. Nonetheless, it's coming along and just needs
    some additional smoothing. The third render uses my temporary makeshift stainless steel texture. I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the env_tex
    file with this one so I may change it out. I will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Isaacg; April 13th, 2015 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries

QR Heritage water wagon and Bulk Molasses wagon... Its a W.I.P of course

Water Gin

Molasses Wagon

Andryugist,

Nice T2! They remind me of the old PCC cars we had here stateside, (which isn't surprising as the Tatra T2 had a manufacturing license for trams. Refresh my memory, did they manufacture articulated versions? Or is that just the later T4?

Made using ACTUAL texture's from the ACTUAL sign. Will be doing more of this sort of "simple work" soon.

Hey SMAN 12345,
    I believe your water wagon would be a WO. Used thru out Queensland to water isolated track crew camps. Used the QR16A bogey. There were several types of Molasses wagons. I did the MO.
    Peter Cook CEO House Of Trainz

Blog Entries

Um.........I think I broke it..........

♥ Me & Sailor Mars = Married since July 21, 2012 ♥

Blog Entries

Hey GLT0145,

Right now I just have a set or Bradken Bogies on it.. A lot of work still but its a start

BTW... Will you be updating your MO? I was/am considering doing one and if you don't I will. Its so I can have a proper Warwick molasses train

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaboy14 View Post
    Made using ACTUAL texture's from the ACTUAL sign. Will be doing more of this sort of "simple work" soon.
    My advice would be to avoid photos and learn how to recreate the textures. Cameras 'see' differently to the human eye, and as a result will always display 'incorrectly' when transferred to a digital medium such as games.
    The most obvious argument between using photos and recreating textures is that photos have already been subject to environmental lighting effects, then when you import into a game you add another level of environmental lighting. If you want to use photos you need to learn how to see the difference between captured environmental lighting and the materials colour - this is not something the majority of people (especially young people) do naturally. Prime example being that stupid Blue & Black / White & Gold dress saga.

The golden rule with making textures is that if it catches your eye it's wrong. A well made texture will never draw attention to itself and blend in with it's surroundings.

Good luck. It's not all that difficult to do and very rewarding when you get it right. Just keep it simple. Study the photo you're using, learn where the light is coming from and what surfaces around the sign are influencing the colours shown.

I agree with FSF. Making your own textures allows you to add detail where you need it, instead of hoping your camera had enough resolution to get it.

You can use that texture if you want ^
    Last edited by John514; April 15th, 2015 at 07:08 AM.
    This is impossible to do with current hardware. - People not running current hardware.

Hi sman12345
    the latest one on the dls worked with trs 12. But I just has a look and it real does need an update. What software are you using? I could send you the file if you are using 3ds Max 5 or later.
    Peter Cook CEO House Of Trainz

Quote Originally Posted by n8phu View Post
    Fooling around..

Made a good start on a NS RP-4EC

Is she going to the DLS anytime soon? Please?