GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

All finished up

28d9ec0eb9d3cbb303e5115df78b4bfa.jpg

bd4a8f4a612dbfa5439065f9151fd2ad.jpg

Rock On!
~Dusten

Probably not available since the post is from January 2017​.

Errr, considering the complexities of 3D modelling, asking about a partly completed project 8-10 months later is completely reasonable... you say January 2017 as if it was a long time ago for a project..

Errr, considering the complexities of 3D modelling, asking about a partly completed project 8-10 months later is completely reasonable... you say January 2017 as if it was a long time ago for a project..

Thanks for the reply! Do you know how to use gmax? Im trying to figure out how to make a texture that will remain lit up even at night, like the lens of a signal.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know how to use gmax? Im trying to figure out how to make a texture that will remain lit up even at night, like the lens of a signal.

No I don't mate. I use 3DSMax if I have to. I'm sure if you search around about "nightmode" (that's what it's called in Trainz), it'll show up somewhere.

A little side project, a rotary snow plow. I'm not sure yet if I want this to be gas powered or steam powered. I did build a little fuel tank underneath but I suppose that could hold oil or gasoline.

b91efd4dd4cd469d69fb503d40033655.jpg

Success.... sort off

Finally after much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, I managed to export something in FBX format. However using texture cropping and multi /sub object style textures seems to seriously challenge the exporter. UVW unwrap all the way apparantly, which in my opinion is plain silly when simple objects like a sign made up of two boxes are considered. Anyway half a success is still progress. I would love to hear from other content creators if you have experienced issues with the FBX format, because our friends in Brisbane isn't particular informative (yet)

22728795_1675690072473484_6411503695850670571_n.jpg

....Do you know how to use gmax? Im trying to figure out how to make a texture that will remain lit up even at night, like the lens of a signal.

The easiest way is to give the texture some self-illumination. In the material’s Blinn shader settings, look for a section called self illumination. Set the spinner value to something greater than 0 and it will become increasingly bright, even at night. A value of 100 doubles the brightness (I think). Alternatively, you can give the self illumination a colour hue as well as brightness by clicking on the shaded box next to the spinner and choosing a colour. Experiment to get what you want.

Note that this method of self illumination does not extend beyond the surface of the mesh that the emissive texture is applied to. If you want a glowing light, you need to learn about corona effects.

And it’s worth learning about nightmode meshes, so you can control when the lighting effects come on.

You’re welcome.

Last edited:
With work going off-and-on with the V class, there's been a lot of unposted work on the project!

At the moment I'm working on the cab interior, which is proving to be quite an interesting challenge with a lot of details!

vr-v-class-95.jpg

Still a few parts left to add though, but hoping to make this my most detailed cab view yet...

Regards
Zec

ceeb4ac6bb88dff8ad1e9cb58253d361.png

It's nearing completion... I'm surprised by how much i've done with making this model in just under 2 weeks.

EDIT: Just though i'd share the new face i made thanks to MiscMishief48's tutorial on creating 3d faces in the style of Thomas and Friends:
0191d0a78f320906c4f6db0c22407ebb.png

Front perspective
a3e31eba7e68336e9e1db3a0a3577771.png

Last edited:
Back