GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Thanks man, I mean, It would be cool to see it at a builders yard, but I'm still figuring out Substance painter. I think I've got it down now. And I really can't go any finer, but I might lower the height detail level to counter it.
zs0xsqmi3bqy.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, So here's a little adjustment work to it now. I think this is the best I can get with the limited knowledge I have with Substance Painter.
Trailing_truck_frame.jpg

Last edited:
See the problem with substance painter is that you are applying one basic texture over the entire model which looks shoddy and unfinished. Although you are trying to capture the look and feel of a cast you are failing at the same time because it's too repetitive. Imperfections don't repeat. It would be easier to map it out properly, go into a program like Photoshop or Gimp, and actually texture the model like it's supposed to be. You'd be suprised at the results.

I got a bit distracted from all the other things I'm doing at the moment. Made this while avoiding writing a paper for one of my classes. :hehe:
Definitely not finished, but it's far enough along you should be able to tell what it is...I think.

EA.png

-Ben

Last edited:
Wow...you really don't like the idea of Logan modelling, huh? Yeah, i get it, he has a bad history, but come on, at the very least he's still trying to be productive. Heaven forbid we actually have more people modelling than leaving, right?

I get it. He's done some stupid stuff. But really, all of a sudden he attempts to model something on his own and all he gets is "wow, that looks like garbage, you should stop modelling". At least he still models trains instead of modelling literal piles of crap.

I think you miss understood my meaning of what I was saying. I like what he's doing. But, I work around casting every day and the textures for his casting was wrong. As far as "sitting around the yard". There aren't enough bits and pieces of train parts to decorate the yard area. The texture he had would look good rusty and sitting next to the repair shop..... Is it your place to bitch me out. I think this was between me and Logybear.

Logybear, #14078 is a good casting texture. keep it up.

Take what you did with the first one and make the texture a smidge bigger. Need to be able to see the detail more. But not as big as your first image. Personally, Id use a photo editor like gimp or photoshop.

@Don49plm. Its chris2001trainz2010. All he does is bitch at people anymore and TEH do jack all about that. Thats the reason I left.

@Chris. You dont model so piss off. His mesh is fine. Its the textures we are giving critisism about. He doesnt take what we say personal which he shouldnt anyway. Stop bitching at every single person on here just to rile them up. It doesnt look good on TEH if they have a loose cannon. Go back to skinning up ANL's unreleased E units and Steves passenger cars.

Last edited:
You people are really good at constructive criticism. And people wonder why so many creators are leaving.

"Your model doesn't mean MY standards, so it looks awful."

I think the model looks pretty darn good.

See what you failed to notice is that I proceeded to give actual advice in the next comment I made. I stated what I thought it looked like and how I thought he could improve, which is stop using substance painter and use a photo editing program.

Chris, have something you'd like to tell us? Those units were not to be released and as far as I know he didn't send them to you, so how did you get them?

As far as the model goes, I never said anything bashing it aside from my line of thinking as to why I believed he did not make it himself. I'm not above admitting I'm wrong from time to time, but I also don't think your pouring of gas on an already extinguished fire is warranted at all.

As far as textures go in my opinion the second one looks better for a newer or more freshly painted one, and the first picture would be a better base for a texture that looks more beaten and worn down. Your pick, but it looks good either way.

Well, Now I've finally decided, The second version I think is better in my oppinion since I'm trying to do a brand new freshly painted look for the first set of engines, later once I get more done on the main model I'll decide if a weathered set is viable.

You could always make a texture library in the future and have a skin changer randomly select one. Dunno how well that would work but its a possibility but these arent for trainz so idk how railworks would do it.

I really wish railworks had a skin changer library system, It would let me cheat the texturing system without constantly making a new folder of the same engine with a different name.

Back