GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

d177_v4.jpg

The latest Peak loco. Should be available soon...!

:)

Perchpole

Here's an updated pic of my track:
rail2sm4.png

It's really easy to make track once you learn splines and how to smooth edges.

Thanks for the offer I will do if I get stuck on anything :), this is only my second item of rolling stock in gmax so I'm still tackling that learning curve (the other item is currently gathering virtual dust pending a restart :rolleyes:)

Here's an updated shot anyway (two cab halves need welding and the smoothing groups need sorting out :D)

Cheers,

JB

3738yg5.jpg

...study hard!...

:cool: Here's a few screenies, for us newbies. My GMax Folder, was created Sunday, August 14, 2005, 3:25:04 PM.
This is my first item...
040707im7.jpg

All went well with the polycount, until I made the handrails. I think the corners are too sharp. 3568 polly's...
40707rh6.jpg

Here I wish to brag on my "customized interface." The choice of colors, is "Windows Default," and the viewport background color, is "Kiwi."
headingforthedoorshp6.jpg

p.s. Please don't tell anyone about this car, it's a work in progress, ETA Unknown!

Okay, I've cheated somewhat with this one. She's originally Barn700's payware model, though I'd purchased the gmax off him :)

I've basically been replacing few parts of the mesh, mainly concentrating on the textures, moving the rivets to the textures, etc.
The lighting effects are on the actual textures, I've been doing my best to get a realistic look.

Thanks again to Barn :)

30nt4.jpg
302ry7.jpg

Nice, but if you really had a budget of €120,000, then I'm sure one of the first things you'd do would be to buy something a bit more beefy, like 3dsmax or maya...

You haven't used Blender, have you? It can do everything those can do, as well as fluid simulation, soft bodies,etc. It has a built-in game/physics engine for recording physics or making full-fledged games. It also is more hotkey-based than other programs, making it much faster to model with. The built in raytracer can do very good renderings, and Yafray (Yet another free raytracer[included]) can do photorealistic (will make better example later) renderings:
SuspensionBridge.jpg

It's free and open-source, and constantly developing. The latest version has digital sculpting tools as well.
(If I had a budget of €120,000, I'd go out and buy a better computer [Mac Pro - 8 cores now:eek:] to run Blender[and Trainz:D])

Last edited:
OI! I know of you speaketh :p

Nah, Blender is a fine modeling program (and we can agree exactly which ones are not :D)

Blender is a fine modeling program, however when weighing the options of which to learn, which is easier in the end, and which could be more useful in the future. I work with 3DS MAX. Sure the price tag is an issue, but college 3DS courses help a lot :D

Here's a new render, anyone recognize it?
Binome1.jpg

Call me when 3dsmax can do liquid animation and sculpting, then I'll believe you! :p

As for you render, I just can't place it :rolleyes:

Here's mine though, it's Don Quixote:
DonQuixote.jpg

Cheers,
John

Hi, ZapperJet -

Just returning your call - as requested!

;)

Perchpole

Ok, I was waiting for someone to say something :p Yes, I know, 3ds can do Liquid Simulation (dunno about sculpting), but I doubt we'll ever see the ease of use of Blender.

Cheers,
John

some of my stuff from about 2 years ago.

gtpfinal3mu2.jpg

spacefightersmallxj5.jpg

morningfinalcopylx7.jpg

oh and for any of you that know a lot about 3d modeling that last pic. the tile on the table is a custom procedural texture i made.

Last edited:
Back