GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

I just got Blender and I looked at the tutorial above...But how hard is it to make a good-quality model?

Depends what you want to make. Most people start with something simple like a building for their first asset. Mine was a concrete tower that was little more than a box and a cylinder. Have good plans of what you're trying to make if possible, and spend the time to scale them accurately in your chosen program. (You mention Blender, and I forget offhand how this is best done in there.) Don't underestimate the importance of good textures- a very simple model can be made to look complex with the right textures, but a very detailed model can also be ruined with simple, solid color textures.

Blender is nice because you can set it to imperial mode(or metric if your drawings are in metric but that's never been the case for me) and then build to real scale, and it'll export to real scale in game. No hassle. And I would say start simple as well, buildings are a good starting point, say a platform or something would be nice and easy, or a simple loader if you want a good introduction into content creation. Industries are really quite simple, so loaders are quick, fun and easy projects.

Hey all,

This is a project I've been working on for some time, however I keep coming across one dilemma after another, as it's a British Locomotive (built Robert Stephenson 1855, England) I thought I'll get some opinions from British people who may have a better understanding of this as some locomotives in England running these days where reconstructions of 1835-1850's.

One of the dilemma's I've got is the valve link reversing rod, as it's a well tank I couldn't figure out how to build it due to the tank being in the way, then I thought maybe they had a notch/slot cut out of the tank for the valve link reversing rod

2-2-2_zps27492076.png~original

Any thoughts?

Edit:

Here's a photo of the actual prototype.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q97/Azervich/photo_zps27ef3ebd.png

Cheers.

Last edited:
Light or rather; lack of it

A Danish Litra Ac First Class coach going through a lot of testing. Not the model as such, but rather capability plotting my new laptop's rendering power. So far I am happy.... with the model as well :)

The Mental Ray renderer very convincingly emulates the feel of a Nordic evening in March and sets a lovely "cat walk" for this oldtimer - and coveniently hides the areas still under construction. Daylight shots will follow, but not before I am done with the bogies and lettering.

906343_749052718470562_7227083201588122843_o.jpg

10553660_749052681803899_7716965660426890802_o.jpg

10403876_749052188470615_8660464410105749410_o.jpg

10553818_748975568478277_7622375263870217523_o.jpg

I have it animated too. Just hope it will get in the game when I'm done. I have alot more to go. I just need to find pictures of a case steamers backhead.

Rock On!
~Dusten

A Danish Litra Ac First Class coach going through a lot of testing. Not the model as such, but rather capability plotting my new laptop's rendering power. So far I am happy.... with the model as well :)

The Mental Ray renderer very convincingly emulates the feel of a Nordic evening in March and sets a lovely "cat walk" for this oldtimer - and coveniently hides the areas still under construction. Daylight shots will follow, but not before I am done with the bogies and lettering.

Jaw = Floor.

Wow.

peter

Have had a bit of time to play with my V class steamer again :)

vr-v-class-30.jpg

Got the compressor and it's pipework done, the blower pipe, and made a start on the cab. The cab actually made quite a difference IMO! Now it looks like a V class, and a Baldwin :)

Zec

WOW yojimbo. I just love that interior. It looks very similar to our restored 100 year old interurban train at the museum I volunteer at. I can't wait to see this one finished.

Bill

WOW yojimbo. I just love that interior. It looks very similar to our restored 100 year old interurban train at the museum I volunteer at. I can't wait to see this one finished.

Bill

Thanks it is not often you get praise for non-us equipment.

This 1st Class coach is of pre WWII vintage and was considered the top of the pops in those days. The upholstery however is a placeholder and the curtains are missing along with the ashtrays and netting for the luggage racks. I will need some photos of the real upholstery (not saying it is going to look better) before I can call it quits.

Meanwhile the exterior is coming along nicely.

Accordion bogie... and it's not Weird Al

Got the bogie (truck for you US folks) going and the accordion too - still a lot of small dark spots on both, but nevertheless they are now in states that justifies going public. There are still no textures whatsoever applied only the colors from the software.

10630650_751248128251021_1151070502065162514_o.jpg

Back