GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Hello,

due to a brake in conntent creation during quite a long time, I am not up to date anymore about the latest possibilities. Therefore please be patient with me when I ask a question, about things everybody probably already knows.

As I can see here, there must be a tool named "Quixel Mixer".

Does it mean that we can create a mesh structure in gmax, to bring it over to the Quixel Mixer, to apply textures onto it maintaining the latest texture standards - like PBR?

If yes, I would say thank you to the people who created that tool to provide a way to stay with gmax in conntent creation as I find mesh creations in blender very hard and I never could get into it as required to really work with blender.

Also I would like to ask about a link where I can get that Quixel Mixer and perhapps there are some instructions available how to use it.

In case my conclusiuons are right, it would be great as is would solve some problems to me. When I will take over my project from T:ANE to TS19, I will need to update the gound textures to PBR ground textures. Therefore I already created PBR replacements for all of my ground textures. But in addition to this I also need to update all struktures like track splines and bridges maintaining PBR textures. I guess it would look not very good if the gravel bed of a non PBR textured track would lay in a PBR gound texture.

Thanks in advance four your answers.

Your's TUME
Yes, you can download it here: https://quixel.com/mixer. The base software is free and a great alternative to Substance Painter. I create my models in blender, then texture them in Quixel Mixer.

See this thread: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?160072-Quixel-Mixer-for-PBR-texturing

Here is an introduction to it. You can find more tutorials on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wThyDisLyH0&ab_channel=Quixel

Last edited:
Yes, you can download it here: https://quixel.com/mixer. The base software is free and a great alternative to Substance Painter. I create my models in blender, then texture them in Quixel Mixer.

See this thread: https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?160072-Quixel-Mixer-for-PBR-texturing

Here is an introduction to it. You can find more tutorials on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wThyDisLyH0&ab_channel=Quixel

Thank you very much for your answer and for the links!
I hope this will help to get PBR-textures onto some of my assets.
Ok - you created your mesh im blender and textured it in the Mixer. But may be there is also a way to create the mesh in gmax and to texture it in de mixer as well. This also would be great as I want to use the meshes I have already created. Eventually it is just to get PBR onto my bridge and track meshes which already been created.

Your's TUME

some of my assets.
Ok - you created your mesh im blender and textured it in the Mixer. But may be there is also a way to create the mesh in gmax and to texture it in de mixer as well. This also would be great as I want to use the meshes I have already created. Eventually it is just to get PBR onto my bridge and track meshes which already been created.

Your's TUME
Your welcome. If you can export it into either fbx or obj formats, yes you should be able to, as Mixer only takes obj or fbx 3d models.

Talking about Mixer, I have just PBR textured the interior of my Swedish State Railways class Sa steam engine in Mixer.

Some test renders in Blender using the built-in path tracer Cycles. A bit dark images maybe, but steam engine interior tend to be very dark.
I am longing for some distant future when we might have real-time ray-tracing with correct indirect lighting in Trainz. That would make PBR-textured interiors automatically look this awesome in-game! :)

kGn26ul.jpg

e3ocafu.jpg

gkREwcz.jpg

Thank you very much for your answer and for the links!
I hope this will help to get PBR-textures onto some of my assets.

Your's TUME

From personal experience when trying to get dragonharh's VIA Coach's into blender, it's a bit of a pain if you wanna keep the attachment points. However, if you don't care too much, you should be able to just use the obj exporter for gmax, and copy/paste the lines into a notepad file, then import the mesh into Quixal.

Thank you all for your information!

Hello and thank you all for your information!
That was a great help.

In between I found a nice description how to get mesh out of gmax into an obj-data-format. For all who are interested in – here is the link:

https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/gmax/exporting-meshes-as-obj-models.php

Eventually it is all about getting PBR textures onto my track and bridge assets, which I already created in gmax. And even for these assets the gravel part will be most important, as I want to but PBR textures onto the gravel to make them look like the PBR ground texture next to the tracks. So for the first time I will not have to deal with attachment points and so on.
Perhaps I will be looking also to use PBR textures for other assets but even that will be probably all about an update of assets been already created in gmax.
Also I tried to create mesh in blender, but I find it nearly impossible. For me gmax is much more familiar and all the menus are much more self-explaining than it is the case in blender. As a mechanical engineering designer I am much more familiar with software which behaves similar to gmax. In gmax I know how to create a plane and all that things while in blender the user interface appears in a way that I never really found the right tools to create mesh like I can do in gmax.

Therefore, again thank you all for your help!

@ korvtiger:
Your cab is looking great!

@ Zeldaboy14:
May you try to handle the attachment points in an extra mesh anyway.
I needed to do so because I want to maintain season change at all of my assets. That means you need snowy-mesh and non-snow-mesh for each LOD-step. But you cannot include all the required attachment points in all of that meshes eventually been chosen for indication by the season selector tags in the config.txt as this causes several problems in trainz.
The best way to deal with this problem is, to create a mesh that only contains all the required attachment points – and at leased one single small plain because there must be just two polygons at a mesh file as you cannot have a mesh file containing attachment points only.
Let’s call this “basic mesh including all attachment points”
In addition to this you create the mesh of your rolling stock as you would have done before but this time without any attachment points.
Let’s call this “body mesh”.

In the config.txt you than will need to arrange your meshes like this:

mesh-table {

default {
mesh "basic mesh including all attachment points.im"
auto-create 1

effects {if there are effects …
}
}

body {
mesh "body mesh.im" … (or body mesh.lm – if you use LOD technique)
auto-create 1
}

}

Of course, if you want to maintain season change you will need to create two body meshes – one with and another without snow. I could explain in an extra thread how to arrange that in the config if anybody is interested in.

In this way you could take over meshes into the Quixel Mixer to do some updates but you don’t need to take care about the attachment points any more.

Your’s TUME

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is you’ll need a way to export a FBX mesh in order to utilize PBR materials on a 3D asset. I don’t think Gmax has a FBX plugin so you’ll have to run it through Blender, 3DSMax or the like in order to create PBR assets.

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet is you’ll need a way to export a FBX mesh in order to utilize PBR materials on a 3D asset. I don’t think Gmax has a FBX plugin so you’ll have to run it through Blender, 3DSMax or the like in order to create PBR assets.

Yes, that's what I thought as well. Isn't it that I can import a mesh file as obj-data into Quixel Mixer to get the PBR textures onto it and after that I export it as an FBX file out of Quixel Mixer?

I downloaded the gmax-obj.ms and got it done to export a little test mesh out of gmax via the listener to create a obj-file.

I also downloaded the Quixel Mixer but still did not install it yet. To get the Mixer running at my PC and to have a look ito it is something I planned for the weekend. But I hope it is like I think, that I can export a FBX file out of Quixel Mixer and trainz will be able to handle it like a im-file. Is that right?

Your's TUME

Quixel Mixer does not support exporting FBXs from the program, only textures. There are a few differences with how Trainz handles FBX files vs IM and the requirements of each but its mostly the same. As far as using PBR on 3D assets I don't know of any programs that would convert a OBJ or the like into a FBX and retain attachment points, bones, etc. not to mention material names.

Blender has an importer for OBJ.
Speaking realistically, it is -not- a practical idea to import the mesh from GMax to Blender just for export. You'll need to redo each individual asset's orientation, and more importantly there's a good chance you'll have to redo all of the materials. Certainly you will have to redo any and all animation, and considering Blender's more powerful mapping software, before mapping. At that point, GMax is probably more trouble than it's worth.

How to export things as im-format from blender?

Hello, and thanks again for your helpfull commends.

I downloaded and installed blender 2.92.0. Also I attempted to played a little bit about mesh creation. Well, everything can be learned, but still I find mesh creating in blender quite difficult. In addition to this, most of the mesh I want to get PBR textures on, have already been created and I dont want to create it again in blender.

But I created a primitive test mesh in gmax and exported it via the gmax listener by using gmax-obj.ms to an obj-file. I could import that obj-file into blender sucessfully.

Like described by trainboi1, I needed to rotate the mesh 90 dergrees. But all the UVunwraps where kept which is of course very important. Also the materials (including its names) apperd in blender like expected.

Its been outlined in the description of the gmax-obj.ms tool that mesh, materials and the UVunwraps will be transformed from gmax into the obj-data.

The only thing which is necessary to do in blender is to assign the texture files again to the materials as required.

I agree it does not make too much sense to create a brand new mesh in gmax and to go via blender just for the export. Therefore mesh creation in blender should be learned. But it seems to be a way to get PBR-textures onto meshes which have been already created in gmax long ago.

Before I start to investigate how to put the PBR-textures onto my meshes, I need to leran a bit more about blender. During that learning I will need to export some test things to im-files just to see how it looks like in trainz or in the mesh viewer. Therefore I need to know how to export things from blender into a im-file. But there is no im-format to be choosen in blender.

Can anybody help about that?

Added a little later:
Ok - I read in trainz-online, the latest im-exporter does not maintain blender versions higher than 2.79.
Therefore I will try some FBX viewers available to check my tutorial results :)

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Your's TUME

Last edited:
To export an .im mesh you must use Blender 2.79 or older, 2.80 and up CAN NOT export a .im. I keep 2.79 for that and opening my old meshes, I use 2.83 as 2.92 had bugs for me, not tested the new one.

Back in the race ...
Starting this morning, this is all day's work: Vulcan Foundry 2-4-0 from 1873 .
I call this a productive day ...

Back