GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Hi Phil, it’s been a long time since I’ve done any work on those so probably not soon. But I may do some work on it over the next month. The shape had been updated last I remember, maybe around December. The bogies need redone and the interior and scripting.

re post #14456 EverTrainz

Having just seen your Flicker page, most impressive, its how I remember BR at the end of the steam era. The weathering is just right. The Black 5 is magic, in fact all is magic.

Cheers, evilcrow.

Reminds me of a certain "diseasel". Was it Bill or Ben that coined that term? I can't remember, that was too long ago . . .

You mean this guy?

url
1d9acec038bff8f7d61104a3da94c2ca.jpg

Thanks Chris. Although I should point out that the AL5 green livery is fictional, but took elements from similar liveries on green diesels.

Last edited:
Really amazing models Ron.

Finally got around to another BN M-K rebuild.
BN-GP38M.jpg

I had been wanting to do this one for a while. Have a picture of it from the December 2004 issue of CTC Board and just had to make it.

Decided to add this one, too. This opens the door to so many other MAC versions. Vomit bonnet is a distinct possibility!
BN-SD70MAC.jpg

Last edited:
Mesh by Camscott, textured by me in PBR (TRS2019?)

SR4 by EverTrainz
Thanks evilcrow, hopefully I'll be able to finish and release it soon!

Weathered Brake R1 by EverTrainz

Wow, just wow! Amazing work on the texturing/materials there!

Could you explain what your texturing workflow looks like? Do you use PBR-textures from some site? Do you generate PBR-textures from images? Procedural textures? Substance Painter/Designer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

As far as my workflow I only use Substance Painter materials and a variety of Smart Materials and Smart Masks. These help me get more specific types of weathering such as edge wear, dust, sand in crevices, etc..

It is a lot of material layers, with a black mask added and painting/generating white onto the masks. For example, I would add one of either 'Mortar Wall' or 'Leather Rough' materials that look like dirt, then turn it darkish or brown in color. Then I'd drag and drop different smart masks, removing them and trying other ones until I find a suitable one. I may make a video showing a top-to-bottom texturing of one of the brakevans later.

Since I've already made the BN SD40-2's, C30-7's, and SD70MAC's, this one is inevitable.
Oakway-SD60.jpg

Going to add running numbers so I can 'Collect all 100'.

Thanks guys.

As far as my workflow I only use Substance Painter materials and a variety of Smart Materials and Smart Masks. These help me get more specific types of weathering such as edge wear, dust, sand in crevices, etc..

It is a lot of material layers, with a black mask added and painting/generating white onto the masks. For example, I would add one of either 'Mortar Wall' or 'Leather Rough' materials that look like dirt, then turn it darkish or brown in color. Then I'd drag and drop different smart masks, removing them and trying other ones until I find a suitable one. I may make a video showing a top-to-bottom texturing of one of the brakevans later.

This is handy to know. Perhaps a naive question, but are you texturing in Substance Painter as well? Or just creating the material in SP then texturing in another program?

I trialed SP but found it difficult to add lettering, logos etc. I tried exporting into Photoshop but both programs use a different colour system supposedly and what looked good in SP was off kilter in Photoshop.

For the most part texturing is done in Substance Painter, but the drawback as you say is that it's difficult to do logos and lettering. What I do is just add those details on an alpha layer consisting of just those in an image editor (paint.net for me), and import that alpha .tga into SP as a texture, then drag and drop it onto 'Base Color' on a new layer that only has the color channel turned on.

I'm aware that it's different for pretty much most other railways but British liveries were very basic and used a single blue color for the whole loco apart from the yellow ends. So what you want to do for, suppose, a CSX scheme, is paint the livery in an image editor and then import it into SP, and again drag/drop it onto Base Color while turning off all other channels.

Back