GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

6ZjvgNO.jpg

Last edited:
It's a UP MC-1

Doesn't quite seem to be a Bull Moose... note the headlight mounted above the smokebox, as opposed to center-set like the bull moose and early CSA Challengers.

I believe ANL is dead on, if anyone would know it'd be him, however I can't find any prototype photos on these 'Harriman' mallets.

Doesn't quite seem to be a Bull Moose... note the headlight mounted above the smokebox, as opposed to center-set like the bull moose and early CSA Challengers.

I believe ANL is dead on, if anyone would know it'd be him, however I can't find any prototype photos on these 'Harriman' mallets.

That is because the Bull Mooses are class MC-2 and up, later SA-C-2 and up. The Bull Mooses as built would've had an identical headlight arrangement as well, aside from them having electric as opposed to oil lights. Photos and diagrams of this class are incredibly hard to find, at least of the "as built" versions. You might know them in their more famous later form on the Southern Pacific as the original Cab Forwards.

The Harriman Mallets were built in the late 1900s for the Union Pacific, Oregon Railroad & Navigation, Southern Pacific, and the Norfolk and Western. They weren't the greatest design due to a number of factors, mainly related to the preheater on the boiler and being hand fired articulateds which made it difficult to keep up steam. They were also slow, only topping out at around 20mph light engine. I felt the design was interesting enough to warrant a go at a 3D model, since no model of a MC-1 has been made for any train simulator. Considering how little information is out there I am impressed with how far I've gotten. Sadly the lemons of the UP haven't gotten the same amount of attention as the Big Boys and Challengers when it comes to books and magazines. My sources have been mostly erecting cards, a handful of photos, the book Motive Power of the Union Pacific, a UPHS publication from the 70s and AC-2 Cab Forward diagrams to fill in missing gaps.

Here's a picture of UP 2002, taken sometime after 1912:

VOVCUEy.png

And the model as it currently stands. Haven't gotten too much work done these past few days, been busy with work.

tf84jyX.png

Thank you for the info Daylight train, I am excited to see what you will produce.

Always a pleasure operating your models in game.

TRS19_2020-08-19_21-50-08-291.png

The entire Budd Cosmopolitan/Metropolitan series is almost complete! Just have to do the Metro North variants next!

Last edited:
Back