GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

G'day bolivar & GP792,

@ bolivar,

...indeed. "Victorian" as in "belonging to the reign of Queen Victoria", although the design is distinctly (almost uniquely) Australian, where they are 'prolific', as you so succinctly note, in all our inner cities, big and small, alike...

@ GP792,

...I'm rather partial to that 'style', which I refer to as "Colonial", too", although it may well have another official name. It was a very popular style it's day (and new houses are built using it, even today). In fact, most of this style of house used it when they were built - the use of painted rendering being a later 'variation'. On the subject of variations, here are some more of the two sets of 3 x groups and the 5 x group that accompany the three single units shown above...

Aus_Terrace_houses48.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses49.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses50.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses52.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses53.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses55.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses56.jpg

Aus_Terrace_houses57.jpg

...in which you will note that the first group of three have rendered brick front walls surrounding a front yard, which will be an 'option' (in three different varieties - timber, brick and corrugated iron) for the individual units (when I can get some help with the script to make that happen)...

Jerker {:)}

Jerker --

Those houses look seriously impressive. Now I just have to think of a way that I can use them. Are they hi-poly?

Phil

@ Jerker - Beautiful!! If I ever get my hands on a Tane capable compter a small innner-Melbourne inspired tram route is top of the list. Can I orer about a thousand of 'em please?

G'day philskene,

...thanks mate. Contrary to appearances, if I recall correctly, Phil, each of the individual units come in at about 15,000 polygons apiece but I have two further levels of LOD included with each asset, to reduce this, ultimately, to 30 polygons (plus the texture) at that last level. I was concious of the count all the way through the build and tried to minimise any impact. Although it isn't obvious, every instance of the 'fancy' wrought iron work is only a texture (comprised of the diffuse map, a bump map and the necessary alpha, of course) applied to a flat plane - none of this 'feature' is actually mesh. Here's the closest view I can find showing this...

Aus_Terrace_houses36.jpg

...of course, the groups are multiples of these values, accordingly (give or take a bit)...

...as for where you can use them, I would suggest that you follow what you see in real life, depending upon where they might fit into your route's environment...

G'dau Dermmy,

...thank you, too, Squire...

...you won't need a T:ANE capable computer, these will be released as TB 3.5 (to be acceptable for the Download Station), making them suitable for TS12 SP1 but if an earlier TB is required, so long as the aforementioned script doesn't rule out a 'back dating', one only needs to ask...

Hi Jerker.

Well done mate !

So realistic, I remember them well as I delivered mail in Carlton way back in the 1950's.
One of their problems for us (Posties, on a walk round) was there were no letter boxes, just a slot in the front door, and we had to open the gate then open the hinged lid on the slot, damned time consuming, with about 300 houses in Drummond St. alone.
Also I commend you on giving them a deep base, more suitable for single houses on a slope.

NormP.

G'day NormP,

...your approval is very much appreciated, also...

..Crikey, Norm, how 'old' does that make you? I was brought into this world early in 1954, if you were already delivering mail by that time, you must, surely, at the very least, be 16 years my senior (and I thought I was getting too 'old' to be doing this sort of stuff)! :hehe:...

...Drummond Street, Carlton, eh?? It really is a small world! I spent my "informative years" (years 10 to 16), living in the then, brand new, Housing Commission flats that were bounded by (they still are, although they have since received a modern facelift) Drummond Street, Princes Street, Rathdowne Street and Newry Street (although Newry Street no longer exists between Rathdowne and Lygon), on Drummond Street in the 'stairwell' designated as No. 520, near the Princes Street corner, where the 'infamous' Wool Pack Hotel stood (that 'establishment' being the local "watering Hole"). I guess you would have been familiar with the location prior to the construction of the aforementioned Housing Commission edifice, I can only recall the Terraced Houses located on the west side of Lygon Street (where the University accommodation now stands) but oddly, not the structures that were opposite us on Drummond Street before the Country Roads Board and the Transport Regulation Board offices (both of which have since been converted into apartment accommodation, also) were built there (perhaps these houses had already been 'levelled' for that work by that time).. Of course, there are a multitude of Terraced Houses all around the area, still, in fact and although my main 'inspiration' for the next 'series' of houses (the single story set) is the famous 'block' on Flemington Road in Flemington, I am also looking at those houses around where I grew up for ideas and design idiosyncrasies. Keep an eye on this space...

..as for any 'realism' that might be apparent, here, that is one of my tenets, toward which end I use only photorealistic images for my textures and in this sort of work, I cannot stress the need, where possible, to work from plans or drawings...

Last edited:
As an aside, why did they build the walls up beyond the roof line? Didn't want the roof shingles to be visible from the street? Thus giving the appearance of a flat roof instead of a pitched roof. Hope they have real good drains or you could get a minor flood if they didn't drain fast enough during a heavy rain.

I lived my younger years in England in a block of six houses that had the same walled roof front. The drain was a 2' wide by 8" deep box channel with a removable lid that ran from front to back through the attic. The only place that would flood is the external rear downpipe. Quite a common arrangement and probably built around the same time as Jerkers's houses. What I liked was that there was a liftup skylight that allowed me up onto the roof which my parents didn't know about.

Off topic. Welcome back, Jerker.

PeterPM

G'day matruck,

...as 'narrowgauge' intimated, Mick, they would certainly have had drains appropriate to the circumstances (they might not have been so capacious as those in England, though). Mind you, not every such house had walls that extended above the roof line like that. Here's a design I wouldn't mind including in the set (but probably won't) that had 'standard' roofing (with eaves, albeit small ones)..

images

(image courtesy of AustralianTerrace.com)

..and for reasons I can only guess at, it was popular to do this sort of thing, in Sydney..

images

...although there are a few examples of this style (more commonly seen in single story edifices) in Melbourne. I can only presume that they were built that way because it was architecturally 'de rigour' at the time...

Last edited:
G'day narrowgauge,

...I hadn't really gone anywhere, Pete, except for my recent 'hiatus' of some 10 days (in February) in hospital getting a Carotid Endarterectomy, I just hadn't had anything worth saying to add to these pages until now (I've been 'lurking' around in the shadows)..

...I do, however, believe your parents know about your 'escapades' now...

Yes Jerker.

Yes I am a little older than you, come to think about it my oldest son is a year older than you !

I'm 88 and a little bit past my use by date.

Cheers.
Norm.

Funnily enough, I was looking into The Highland Railway today! That engine seems so familiar but I KNOW it's not the Jones Goods, wrong wheel arrangement for starters...

You're really helping fill in the pre-grouping gaps Ed along with many others. :) ;)

We've Highland Railway, LNWR, Cambrian, Lancashire and Yorkshire, things are going wild. :D

-U S & S Point Machine...

-Haven't made anything in quite some time, thought I'd get back into content creation so I made this. Going to change the lever and add the manual foot lock things.

-Joe

Back