New PC Monitor

TomBauman

O.K.! I've been using TRS2006 for about a month and realize my 15" LCD Monitor is not big enough.

Since I have no clue what size to buy I thought the experts might help.

If I went to a 20 or 22 inch monitor will it be better then 19 inch?

Is there a benefit to the Trainz user in buying Widescreen? Or will normal screen give me the same results?

Thanks

Tom

Trainz seems to be formatted for a standard screen, so I imagine a widescreen monitor would either stretch your trains out sideways or have black bars on each side to keep the aspect ratio. I'd go with the standard monitor shape.

:cool: Claude

Iv'e been running Trainz since the first version on a NEC 17 inch Multi Sync
since 2000 and still looks great. 19 inch might work too. :D

I've read on these forums that the wide screens and LCDs do wierd things to trainz. :confused:

round_house

I have an NEC FE1250 21" CRT that I purchased used about two years ago. I paid about $300 for it at a computer show. Before that I had an NEC 17" that eventually suffered from a power supply failure, and was getting dimmer and dimmer every day. I can't complain because the older NEC was about 10 years old before it finally caved in.

I went with the CRT at the time because the LCDs were way too expensive. Now that the LCDs have come down, I may trade up to an LCD (we do the trickle down PC thing in my house) because I want the desk space. The CRT is a bit huge compared to a comparitively-sized LCD. What's interesting is that a 19" LCD has the equivalent display area as a 21" CRT. This is because of the overall screen size versus the 1" bezzle that fits around the CRT.

John

I have a 19 inch Dell standard shape flatscreen moniter I found at some cleared out storage sheds on an army base, it works quite well for me and I doubt I will replace it for a long time.

WileeCoyote

I've been running a sony lcd 23" It was great until I saw my friends 30" apple lcd.........talk 'bout being in the game!

Go for a wide screen. WOW factor goes up more than 10 times! But for this, you have to adjust the height to 1050 and width to 1670 (if you have a wide screen 19"). Do this in the Trainzoptions config file. While you do that, add these lines: cabinfov=75, driverfov=90 and freeintcam. Then let us know how you like it ! You are about to enter what I call: CinemascopeZ...

I run a 19" Xerox LCD Monitor with an 8 ms speed and 1280 x 1025 resolution.There was a thread about widescreen monitors here recently and one guy gave detailed instructions for how to display Trainz on one....it made my head hurt...:confused:

I use a 22" Viewsonic widescreen and it awesome. Admit there is some strech in the opening screens but one in driver or surveyor everything is perfect.

Jack

Just remember bigger screens need more video card processing power. I have a 17 inch Optiquest monitor and a 19 inch Optiquest monitor, I actually use the 17 inch but do sit quite close to the screen.

The LCDs tend to work very well at their native resolution and not quite so well at other resolutions. I have one at work that works fine but I also have a wide screen one that arrived recently where the native resolution is to small for me to see clearly, it also seemed to need new video card with a DVI connection before the image became clear.

From your eyes point of view a wide screen gives a lot more usable information, the reason 16:9 tvs have become popular, so you aren't drawing images at the top and bottom where you aren't looking.

Cheerio John

I upgraded my monitor last year from a 17" CRT to a 19" TFT. There will be no going back to a CRT screen again for me.
No flickering, and no eyestrain. Trainz looks really good, and I'm already considering upgrading to a larger TFT screen when funds permit.:)

I've just upgraded to an NEC 19" flatpanel. It is a wide format, and so far I'm pleased with how Trainz looks.

I have a 15.4" CrystelBrite TFT LCD monitor. The only game that my laptop's widescreen (1280x800 res) affects is Flight Simulator X. No " s t r e t c h i n g " at all in Trainz.

Last edited:
Just went from a 21" CRT to a 22" TFT. It is brilliant. The only problem: to play the native resolution (1680 x 1080) I needed a new PC incl. new Graphic card :)
Last night a had 71 fps during 9700 secs :D:D

Otto

19" TFT LCD monitor here driven at much less than native resolution here... Makes everything slightly fuzzy but it's great for playing games...

Image smoothing and all that crap that makes objects in games look all smoothed out?

Already done mate!!! the benefits of driving the screen at non-native resolutions!!!

regards

Harry

Hi all,

What great input. Thanks a bunch.

Just installed my new 20" Widescreen and it's enough to knock your socks (sox?) off. Now I need a bigger room so I can back away from it.

Thanks again

Tom

Back