Ground-Breaking Discovery!

scottling

And on that bombshell...
This is just a bit more of useless trivia to most, I'm sure. But listen in, I have found out something extraordinary! While laying Busroute on a road, I attempted to straighten the busroute (using Straighten Track tool) and it straightened the road under it instead! So the impossible (ish) is now possible!:clap: All hail me! (Jokes:hehe: )

Thankyou, you've been a wonderful audience. Do yourself a favour and try this new discovery out!:)

Not extraordinary: Many people have been using the straighten track tool to make any splines straight.. except bridges ! I think Auran is already aware of this.. long ago. But Hey! keep trying things: Maybe you stumble onto something we don't know yet!

It works on most splines (including all roads). In general if a spline curves smoothly when laid it will usually straighten with this method. It's a real shame that this feature is so well hidden - most of us old hands know about it, but there will be a batch of recent converts reading this and thinking - 'so that's how you do it!'

Paul

Oops:eek: Sorry, more experienced users, I just knew you would probably have discovered this already. This tip was for more of the newer users, but I'll keep experimenting!

A really good use for the track straightener is to straighten fences and walls that run alongside the track. Put your fence spline points opposite your track spline points and straighten the fence when you straighten the track. Perfect match.

Cheers

A really good use for the track straightener is to straighten fences and walls that run alongside the track. Put your fence spline points opposite your track spline points and straighten the fence when you straighten the track. Perfect match.

Cheers

True. On curves do the same thing, keep your spline points along side the track splines and the fence will stay parallel to the track.

Cheers,
Bill69

While we are on the subject of discoveries, I have discovered that Trainz will run without any entries in the registry. I wanted to show trainz to a friend a couple of days ago so installed 2009 on a pen drive. Took the pen drive to my friend's place, plugged it into his USB port and although it took a while to load, it ran with no problems. After running I went to his add and remove programs to clear it out of his machine but it did not show up in add and remove. I then did a regedit and there was no mention of Trainz in the registry at all.

Cheers,
Bill69

While we are on the subject of discoveries, I have discovered that Trainz will run without any entries in the registry.

I have experienced the very same running Trainz from an external HD on two different PC's.

Oops:eek: Sorry, more experienced users, I just knew you would probably have discovered this already. This tip was for more of the newer users, but I'll keep experimenting!

scottling ,

No need to feel sorry , I am certain you have brought this to the attention of several who were not aware of it ?
In the future do not hesitate to posts your thoughts , findings , you never know ----- ?

My thoughts and thanks for the info --- ,DLR

I agree with your thoughts wholeheartedly DLR, Just look how many other interesting things came from the post. I have heaps of these little titbits stowed away in a notebook for future reference. ( saves searching).
Cheers,
Mike

Cheers

The above referenced method also works with telegraph and power poles.

Cheers, Joe

Problem Lost Tips

As with so much stuff on forums it is lost over time. It may be available but no one knows about it. The only way I see to CATALOG tips and secrets is some sort of unique tag. Otherwise all this good info will be unrembered by some and never found by others. Keyword searching in a general forum has two problems. One is that you have no issues but want to see what tips you may be missing. The other is that a your view of a keyword issue may be different than the one the "tipster" used. And, probably other reasonas as well.

This problem has plagued support forums for years and nothing has emerged to fix it.:'(

Don't forget also that you can hold down the SHIFT key while laying splines and splines will not join.... useful to have square-cornered fences...

Thankyou for that info, davesnow, and thankyou everyone for contributing and accepting my discovery (well, not actually mine, but you get the picture)

Well being a bit inexperienced this info is very useful to me! I needed to straighten some streets this afternoon on the route I'm working on, and now I'll be able to. Thanks!

Back