GE U34CH

mbv67

Epoche IV
Hey does anyone know where I can find a GE U34CH anywhere for trainz? I heard about the U34CH on Trainz Commuter Rail.

Last edited:
A member on TCR said he was working on one using Justin's (norfolksouthern37)'s old C30-7 mesh to substitute for a U34 but never seemed to post any progress on it. I just registered on Trainz Commuter Rail yesterday.

Last edited:
One of my favorites...

4:42 AM 7/21/2009

:cool: Those New Jersey Transit U34CH locomotives were the bomb!

They were actually GE U36C's with a Head End Power(HEP) generator....that robbed 200hp off the prime mover & that made the locomotive hp rating of 3400hp.

This as stated is the same carbody as the U33C & U36C that were featured in stylings for Clinchfield Railroad, Seaboard Coast Line, Seaboard System, Southern Pacific, Santa Fe,etc.

A NJT Traffic Supervisor once when asked about the U34CH told me they gave few problems, were good locomotives.

They were built with the need to run the HEP generator at full throttle on the road & run 6 in the station, so over their years of service sounded great, same as the Amtrak F40PH.

#4152 at Waldwick, NJ July 15, 1979...
njtu34chwaldwicknj71519.jpg

#4159 NJT is two weeks old at this time, operationally speaking at Secaucus, NJ on January 15,1983....
njtu34c4159athobokennj1s.jpg

This is former #CR 1776 numbered back to #3351. Secaucus, NJ June 24,1978...
thisisformercr1776numbe.jpg

One is saved for preservation.

Over at the RRMods Forums someone has been talking lately about GE 4-axle U-boats so it's quite possible that in the far distant future someone may do this locomotive when they realize they have missed it too long!

The U34 saved for preservation...

Is none other than U34CH #3372 (4172) is with the URHS courtesy of NJ Transit because NJT Donated the U34 to URHS.
Also Is Ocemy's C36-7 Good for reskining into the NJT Schemes or should it remain in its Chinese Glory?

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread mbv67...

:cool:
Check out the engine sounds on this U34CH HO model...

A U34CH Cab ride from Pearl River to Nanuet, NY. Soon after it starts you make a station stop at Pearl River. You can hear the one single solitary notch-up of the 16FDL7 engine, soon after you start moving, that is from run-6 to run-8.

The U34CH locomotive could be run as a passenger unit that produced 3400-3450 locomotive traction horsepower, or cut out the HEP generator function & run the locomotive as a 3600 horsepower freight unit.

The Last Hurrah

U33/34/36C Series

The drawing

Here's a Conrail quick note, none of the U34CH locomotives had a prime-mover overhaul - ever!

Last edited:
Back