Trains don't slow for approach signals

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I have some of the "Safetran Clight" signals on my TS2009 route. Specifically, the 06 for diverging routes.

I have found that while driving in AI mode, the trains do not slow for an approach signal where the next signal is stop. They do stop at the stop signal though.

I don't know whether this is specific for safetran signals, or whether it would happen with the built-in signals as well.

Anyone have this issue ?

Thanks

FW

the signals themselves should not make a difference, however i would like to point out that a few of my signals do use extended states in order to show a more appropriate aspect, however trainz AI can only read stop, proceed, and caution. in both cases however a caution is a caution, so the train should slow to half track speed usually.

This has nothing to do with the Safetran signals. I did some testing, replaced the signals in question with built-in content and the same thing happened.

After my tests, I found that I was incorrect in saying that AI trains did not slow for the signals.
In fact, they did slow to 1/2 the track speed as they passed the signal, but began to accelerate once past, and eventually reached track speed again before having to slow for the stop at the next signal.

Seeing that this happens whether I use built-in content or 3rd party such as Safetran, I have reason to believe that this is a TS2009 issue, not with any specific asset.

I think I can correct this using a trigger, and one or more rules. I know of one trigger that will change the speed of a train depending on the direction of a junction. I think there are other triggers and rules I can use.

FW

I'm not surprised, 2009 doesn't seem to like older scripts...:(

i have not seen 2009 not 'liking' older scripts. a lot of mine are from 04 days, and still work fine. there is nothing that would stop a script from working unless it was made wrong, again, something that was overlooked before. i know some signals have had problems in that the script was written incorrectly by not casting it as a signal object, but that is a creator error and does not relate to this thread.

Hi fwassner :wave:

After my tests, I found that I was incorrect in saying that AI trains did not slow for the signals.
In fact, they did slow to 1/2 the track speed as they passed the signal, but began to accelerate once past, and eventually reached track speed again before having to slow for the stop at the next signal.

Unfortunatly its been fixed in SP2, I rather prefered it been broken guess everyone to there own

Cheers

Lots

Hi fwassner :wave:

Unfortunatly its been fixed in SP2, I rather prefered it been broken guess everyone to there own

Cheers

Lots
What's been fixed in SP2? The fact that trains don't slow for an approach, or that they accelerate back to track speed after passing the signal?
I am running the SP2 beta. I also have a copy of TS2009 SP1++ the patches. I haven't been playing with signals on that install.

FW

SP2 Thought you were

Trains are now slowing at yellow signals ans staying slow after they were not a few builds back

Cheers

Lots

Some other oddities I have seen:

When I switched my interlocking signals from the safetran clight 06 to the clight interlocking 08, AI trains now stop and hold at the red boards, then after the approaching train clears the interlocking, the waiting train does not move out on its own. With the 06 signals, AI would throw the switch and the train would move out as soon as the block ahead was clear.
Now, I have to throw the switch manually, and tell AI to drive the train again.

I am not surprised that I have to throw the switch, since it's now a CP interlocking signal, but I didn't expect to have to get back into the cab and start the train moving again<g>

Another thing I am trying to figure out is why I never get the top aspect of the 08 interlocking signal to go clear. With multiple blocks cleared ahead, this is the best signal I get:

interlockingsignals.jpg

greensig.jpg

Shows same aspect in TRS04 and TRS06. Signal is protecting a multi-junction interlocking including two double slips...

Andy :)

Some other oddities I have seen:

When I switched my interlocking signals from the safetran clight 06 to the clight interlocking 08, AI trains now stop and hold at the red boards, then after the approaching train clears the interlocking, the waiting train does not move out on its own. With the 06 signals, AI would throw the switch and the train would move out as soon as the block ahead was clear.
Now, I have to throw the switch manually, and tell AI to drive the train again.

I am not surprised that I have to throw the switch, since it's now a CP interlocking signal, but I didn't expect to have to get back into the cab and start the train moving again<g>

Another thing I am trying to figure out is why I never get the top aspect of the 08 interlocking signal to go clear. With multiple blocks cleared ahead, this is the best signal I get:

these are not being used in the right place thats why. they need to guard more than your standard junction.

these are not being used in the right place thats why. they need to guard more than your standard junction.
The reason I use them is that they are the only signal that will work properly on my route.

If I use the 06 or another signal instead, the signals will allow two trains to occupy the same single track between interlockings (where there are multiple blocks between, signalled by automatic signals).

FW

With no intention to hijack this thread, here's a quick question; what are the three-aspect signals used for? So far I've only used 04 (absolute, converging), 05 (distant) and 06 (diverging).

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

using trainz has mislead a lot of people to think that most signals have something to do with routing, when this really isnt the case. in the US most signals are speed indicating, including the signals i have made for TRS. you can usually guess your route by this, like with a red over yellow indication, but its really just speed control. the 08 signals are not going to tell you what route you are taking but tell you what speed you need to be observing while crossing the next set of turnouts.

using trainz has mislead a lot of people to think that most signals have something to do with routing, when this really isnt the case. in the US most signals are speed indicating, including the signals i have made for TRS. you can usually guess your route by this, like with a red over yellow indication, but its really just speed control. the 08 signals are not going to tell you what route you are taking but tell you what speed you need to be observing while crossing the next set of turnouts.
Thanks NS. That really helps to clear up a lot of my confusion, and trying to make the signals indicate route.

FW

greensig.jpg

Shows same aspect in TRS04 and TRS06. Signal is protecting a multi-junction interlocking including two double slips...

Under what conditions do you get a clear on the top aspect?
I have yet to configure an interlocking where I get anything better than approach.

Is your route available on DLS?

Edit: I found and am in the process of DL your Southside layouts. Thanks for your great work!

Last edited:
This screenie shows the interlocking protected:

sig2.jpg

The routes set are indicated by the red lines. The green arrows indicate the position of the signals protecting the opposite approach.

The screenie also demonstrates Justin's point about the signals not being route indicating. The highball green is showing for what appears to be a 'diverge left' while the proceed/caution is showing for a route straight thru the middle.

What the screenie does NOT show though is the 'natural' position of the junction levers. The highball green is showing for the route 90% of trains will take, which is in effect the 'Main' and this is the route the junctions are set for in the route save. The 'Proceed/Caution' is showing for a route set across the path of 90% of approaching trains and onto the Albuquerque line, which is in effect the 'Branch'. Most trains approaching from the opposite direction will come from top left and cross the interlocking opposite the tower and then onto one of the cluster of tracks in the right foreground. (Belen is set up for left-hand running - the normal right-hand running would mean eastbounds and westbounds would have to cross each other at this junction). The point is though that to set the Albuquerque route the AI has had to throw levers, and as much as anything it is the need to throw levers which seems to control how the AI perceives a route.

There are many issues which affect what aspect signals will show. 'Natural' lever position (particularly on facing junctions) is high on the list, but there are other indeterminates which will often complicate things. I would actually prefer if that highball green WAS a Proceed/Caution, it seems more appropriate to the circumstances.

Slightly Off Topic: Southside is an old route and does not use these signals. Clovis1 (available from checkrail - click my sig) contains the area shown in the screenies but uses Justin's older Searchlight Signals. Clovis2 which is the route the screenie was taken on is just a couple of weeks from release...

Last edited:
Thanks Andy;
I have to check the setting of my junctions. I had completely forgotten about it.
I have set up a test interlocking, with crossovers and a diverging route that I hope will help me understand what is going on.

While I do understand that US signals are not normally used to show route direction, they usually do anyway, since the route over the crossover is always reduced speed compared to straight through.

Back