"Creating" A miniature steam engine - sort of

burntruss

Learning Blender
Hey guys, im just curious if you can create a small steam engine.
Like the miniature ones on YouTube etc that can pull people. I dont want it to pull people, id just like to have a boiler (or something like a boiler) frame, wheels etc.
Im just wondering
Can it be done by buying simple metals curved into shape etc?
I know i could buy one, but ive seen one that is 3000 pounds.
Plus i live in Australia so it would be more.

Any comment is appreciated

The size/gauge of the miniature steam engines are 5inch

-creating a boiler for example could be a simple soup can? etc?
this isnt serious as in creating steam to make pistons move and pull a train, just to generate a little bit of steam from water.

eg, cut a firebox shape, attach it to soup can, voila: tiny little fake boiler

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure where you live in Sydney, but this site lists all the model engineering clubs in NSW. If you're older than 15, many of the clubs will eagerly accept junior members and take them through the ranks. I was a member of the Box Hill Miniature Railway in Victoria some time ago and we had several junior members. I was fortunate to meet a couple on my return a few months ago. Most are now grown men. Owning a miniature steam locomotive is out of most people's reach, so the clubs usually construct team effort locomotives and rolling stock where everyone can participate. Unskilled jobs include painting, greasing, guard and trainee drivers. Even the smallest club style locos require an engine driver's certificate to operate, so that's another goal you can set yourself. Being a member of such a club is rewarding in itself. What I'm about to say may also surprise you. Members of the Box Hill club told me that they are desparate for new and young members. Most of the guys are getting on in years and there's nobody coming up through the ranks to replace them. Visit a club that has regular open days, offer to volunteer and enjoy yourself to death! Forget the tin cans, nothing will ever beat the real thing.

Hey guys, im just curious if you can create a small steam engine . ...SNIP .... -creating a boiler for example could be a simple soup can? etc?
this isnt serious as in creating steam to make pistons move and pull a train, just to generate a little bit of steam from water.

Please by advised of the dangers that are involved ! A simple soup can , creating enough steam , can cause serious injuries . Be sure to look into this before creating something that could cause you harm !

My thoughts --- ,DLR

Yeah i know the dangers, i probably wont be using it, i just want a model boiler sort of thing :p it would be vented.

I know some model railway clubs that have the live steamers. Maybe i should join them :p

I don't think a soup can with a hole poked in the top could be classed as a boiler. It certainly wouldn't be the most exciting thing to watch. You can still buy donkey engines, but a quick look on ebay, a look through Garage Sale ads, or even the odd second hand shop may reveal one. They were exceptionally popular when I was a kid so there must still be a few around. At least they have a small engine to burn up the power and a pressure gauge of sorts to warn you when the ting is about to pop its lid.

I Made a steam boat boiler with a cigar tube but I woulden't advise you to make a live steam locomitive out of a soupe can that is very dangourous and could fail easly.

Put a fire under your tea kettle and you got it!
It just gets more complicated from there, safety wise.
If you have a small metal lathe, you can make your own steam engines.
But safety is the major issue.
I know you've seen movies of a guy hanging from the end of a safety valve lever to hold it down. But that's movies. Not a good idea for the guy hanging on the lever; or anyone else in in the area.
Research your interest in boilers and steam FIRST!

Hello burntruss,
In Western Massachusetts we have a fifty + year old live steam club that runs engines on 7.25 inch gage track. As far as having problems, there hasn't been any in fifty years of pulling passengers. There is another group closer to Boston called Waushakum live steamers. www.waushakumlivesteamers.org
Our group has about a mile of track with a turntable, two timber trussel bridges, a tunnel and a plate gurder bridge.

They run all kinds of engines under live steam, all burning soft coal. There are also running diesels and electrics.

Neat hobby. You get to do all the things your mother told you not to touch, fire, smoke, steam and at the end on the day you are all greasy and sooty. Fun.

Hey guys, im just curious if you can create a small steam engine.
Like the miniature ones on YouTube etc that can pull people. I dont want it to pull people, id just like to have a boiler (or something like a boiler) frame, wheels etc.
Im just wondering
Can it be done by buying simple metals curved into shape etc?
I know i could buy one, but ive seen one that is 3000 pounds.
Plus i live in Australia so it would be more.

Any comment is appreciated

The size/gauge of the miniature steam engines are 5inch

-creating a boiler for example could be a simple soup can? etc?

eg, cut a firebox shape, attach it to soup can, voila: tiny little fake boiler

I don't think a soup can with a hole poked in the top could be classed as a boiler. It certainly wouldn't be the most exciting thing to watch. You can still buy donkey engines, but a quick look on ebay, a look through Garage Sale ads, or even the odd second hand shop may reveal one. They were exceptionally popular when I was a kid so there must still be a few around. At least they have a small engine to burn up the power and a pressure gauge of sorts to warn you when the ting is about to pop its lid.
Put in a safety valve, for goodness sake, otherwise that could be very dangerous! A soup can can't hold a lot of pressure, and even at less than 20 psi that's dangerous!

Back