what happened to physics?!

Jimmyp4

see title.

What happened to the TRS physics!? In TRS2006 the physics where fairly good and running a 100 car unit coal train (loaded) was a challange. In TRS2009. In notch 1 i can get a 7000 ton coal train moving at 40MPH uphill. and when it comes to stopping.... well.... I'm driving a car. I can hit the dynamics going downhill on a 2% grade and i''ll stop almost instantly.... What gives here? Its like Physics took a backseat for 2009 although 2006 was fine.

What loco are you driving, and how many units are pulling the train?
From your description, I assume you are in cab mode.

I just did a test on one of my routes. I selected the USA 3000t consist, and put it behind two of the SD40-2 Union Pacific locos that are built-in content for TS2009.

I set out on a straight section of track, no grade.
With throttle in the 1st notch, brakes released, I was able to get the 3000t train up to 10mph after about 5min of running.

Then, I cut the throttle to 0, and threw the brake lever into "hands off" position. The train gradually decelerated, and I would estimate that it took the train 30 seconds to stop.
I don't know how prototypical this is, but it doesn't sound as bad as what you are experiencing.

What consist, and locos are you running?

I will do some more tests later.

FW

I'm sure many locos have inadequate engine profiles for proper physics when used in 2009.

What loco are you driving, and how many units are pulling the train?
From your description, I assume you are in cab mode.
I am driving SPORBUST's SD70ACe. the train is a 100 car loaded unit coal train (weights 7500 tons according to trainz). i have 2 units up front and 2 in the back.

I'm sure many locos have inadequate engine profiles for proper physics when used in 2009.
and there may be my problem. i replaced the SD70ACe's with the default UP SD40-2's. Now it has proper ability to stop and such.

Most assets that work in TS2006 do work in TS2009, but there are exceptions, and sometimes they are minor enough to allow the asset to "almost" work properly.
I have a problem with some signals that work perfectly in TS06, but don't in TS09.

We need to report such issues over in TrainzDev forum so that the content developers can make whatever changes they need to.

FW

I think your problem is not that the engine is bad in any way, because I have used SP_OR_BUST's locos a lot before now, and they are some of the best and most prototypical I have ever used. Yes, I am running TS2009.

I think the problem is that in the real world a train like this would only have two units for a train of this weight. You are in effect driving with double the required power, thus the train will respond very quickly.

My suggestion would be to try the train with 2 of SP_OR_BUST's SD70ACEs and see if it responds more prototypically.

not trying to be rude, but in the real world helpers on the rear are probably distributed power and have the ability to act as power or brakes (up to engineer), although i do agree 7500 tons is not worth 4 locomotives (much less distributed power), but seeing he is on a 2% grade then its one of those deals thats up to the fellow running. i have this issue to, although it really doesn't bother me because i dont like being an engineer (nothing against that craft though). anyway, probably wasted someones time, but thats usually how it goes. later

my territory...

:cool: Hello Jimmy,

SPorBUST's locomotive enginespec files work pretty well for me, same for Sureshot. Their enginespec files included dynamic braking.

The mass weight(for an SD70) should be around 188000, however Frank & Sureshot loads them up to about this, more than 190000 would be too heavy.

One SD70M so equipped would be overloaded per say for 7500 tons on anything but flat running however that depends strictly on how fast you want to accelerate the train, in other words how much patience you have.

The SD70Ace could conceivably pull 12,000 to 18,000 tons on flat ground. The CSX SD50 is rated this in some locations in Florida around the Bone Valley Phosphate District. But few of us have the patience to work like that!

A 100 car coal train should weigh about 14,000 tons at 143 tons per car, weighed separately & adjusted in the product allowed weight section of the config file.

On a 1.72% ruling grade, a SD70Ace is rated at 2400 tons, by BNSF(Crawford Hill is a good example). An SD40-2 would be rated 2000 tons.

I use Guido73's 5-bay hoppers, with a mass of 24000 &...

queues
{
load
{
size 138959
initial-count 0
animated-mesh "load"
product-kuid <kuid:44179:60013>
}
}

(Don't do the math, it works).

This gives me a gross weight of (car+load) of 143 tons per car in-game.

I use DEM routes exclusively, so if the proper number of locomotives did not pull the train I would know it.

It works out to have too many locomotives & successfully negotiate a route than it does to stall out & have to divide a train(doubling or tripling the hill), then drop off units the next time you run the route until you have locomotives screaming on the grades...generally if (they) will pull the train at at track speed, they will also stop the train on dynamic braking.

In Cab running, AI Drivers usually never run in notch 8. I knew an SCL engineer in my younger days who always stayed around notch 6, which is what my AI Drivers usually run in & they do run track speed(50mph-NS).

In DCC mode, a default, non-changeable enginespec is applied & folks say they will pull the world straight up, but that's just to get you by until you learn how to run a train manually.

I have learned that if they can pull a train without running wide-open, I can too, it just all comes back to having the patience to let the locomotive(s) do the work & don't push them too hard, especially until the locomotive reaches 18-20mph.

Saves fuel too!

My point has always been that if your concerned about the way Auran Trainz runs, you must consider car weights as well as the locomotives & have a reasonably accurate enginespec file. The only faulty enginespec series found yet are kuid:9000:xxxx, by the user's own admission(I finally had to admit he was right, I'm sorry).

Practice of this is so necessary, as it is with prototype railroad engineers.

Also I'd leave the default UP SD40-2(really a SD40) for the ones that think it's purdy...:hehe:

Last edited:
Back