Help please with Train Order

Laird

Can someone give me the usual train order eg 1st class 2nd class, Buffet, Brake, etc from the engine back and the reasons why. Im in New Zealand so are the Australian trains set up the same?
Second question is why does the second diesel engine that is helping a first engine pull a heavy train put on back to back and not facing the same way.
progress.gif

all of those questions depend on the local standards of the opperating authority of a particular company or bit of rail line. none are any kind of universal standards.

helpers on the other end pointed the other way could be for any number of reasons. one might be some sort of pull-pull shuttle opperation, to avoid have to turn train or engine at one or both ends of its run. or if the helpers are cut off and sent back down the hill at some point this would avoid having to turn them at the point where they're cut off.

as for sequence of equipment in passenger consists, generally 'head end' equipment will be at the extreme end, or ends of train, food service cars, if present, in the passenger opperations in north america i'm familiar with, tend to be between coach/regular/2nd class end of train, and pulman/sleeping car/1st class end of train. from pictures i've seen of operations in europe, the seem to like to have the 1st/extra fare class equipment closer to the head end then the 2nd/regular class cars, unless the train is going in its return direction so the sequence is reversed in relation to direction of travel as a resault of avoiding the cost and complexity of turning the entire train.

i can't comment on the specific part of the world mentioned as i'm not familiar with it. and again all of this is really dependent on local opperating standards, proceedures and conditions.

the one thing i wouldn't do, is put baggage/mail and express cars in the middle of a passenger consist. but there may be exceptions to that too. to avoid extra switching/shunting moves, where the train is at some point split and each part then proceeds to a different destination.

Hi laird,

For short haul in NZ generally the brake/baggage car is behind the loco, next would be a 2nd class car then a 1st class then buffet car and 1 or 2 more 2nd class. For longer distance trains they have the same setup except the first car behind the loco can be a power car to supply heat to the passenger cars.

Your second question coupled locos usually run back to back to save turning them at the end of their run.

Cheers,
Bill69

Great Southern Rail which operates the Ghan(Adelaide-Darwin), The Overland(Adelaide-Melbourne) and Indian Pacific(Sydney-Perth), usually run with the Power Car,First Class Dining/Lounge Cars, First Class Sleepers, Second Class Sleepers, Second Class Cafeteria/Lounge Cars,Second Class Passenger Seat Cars,Baggage Car.
The reason for the locos direction is just convenience, so that to reverse the train,they are moved to the other end with a driving cab forward. The train doesn't need to be broken up and rebuilt.

Cheers,
Mike.

Laird

Thanks Guys. I see things are run differantly in each country but my questions have both been answered by you.

Back