Tidewater Big Steam Grade help

Zanoh

I try to build up speed for the engine to move up the hill, but every time I try, the engine just keeps going backward. Is there a trick to this?

The problem is that you are slipping. Make sure that you are sanding the heck out of the rails. Then set the reverser to full and slightly open the throttle. Release the brakes. Now slowly open the throttle until you start moving. Continue opening the throttle slowly as you gain speed. Keep in mind: starting a locomotive on a hill is like rocking a baby. You have to be gentle.

Hope this helps.

--edit-- Also, if your wheels start slipping after you start moving, move the throttle back to the last setting where you weren't slipping.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help! Question is should the reverser should be set forward full or reverse full? The regulator of course is the throttle so that bit I comprehended. Also I thought pressing V allowed the rails to be sanded?

Good news and bad news. Good news is I was able to get it climbing. Bad news is I can only go 6 mph max, and get stalled at the second climb. But when the AI driver does it he gets to 22 mph like it's no sweat 0.0...I am baffled.

Hmmm, I can get it going just fine. Do you keep increasing the throttle slowly as you gain speed? Also, what happens before you stall?

I do try to slowly lift the throttle but then the engine just slows to a stop, and then it stalls. Once it stalls, I have no chance in getting it back and running forward because all it will do is just slide back. T.T

Do you know how to tell when the locomotive is slipping? If the regulator setting on the HUD is blinking, the loco is slipping. That's when you back off on the throttle a bit till she stops spinning her wheels (regulator setting stops blinking). Oh, and sometimes a the only thing you can do is set the brakes so you don't roll further down the hill and start from the beginning of the process.

I thought that too myself, and will give it another shot. The big boy is my favorite steam locomotive, and I want to master her controls as best as I possibly can.

Hi Zanoh,

Are you using the custom head up display? If you use it you can see where the incline increases and where it levels a bit. I notch the throttle up where there is less incline and leave it where it is on the steepest bits, and don't stop sanding.

Cheers,
Bill69

in the Trainzoptions file enter the line:
-freeintcam
This gives you roaming about the cab
Put the loco in FWD
pull back on the throttle a very small hair
press v repeatedly throughout
relaease the brakes
keep the throttle a very small notch forward
continue sanding, and gradually increase the speed...too much throttle and you'll slip
I got it up to 32mph:cool:

I even added a 9000 ton consist onto the train...and that was really tough getting it going !

You can also change the type of cars on the train, I believe, in surveyor, and save as a new named scenerio.

Note: Most prototype trains are @ 14,000 tons or less, for easy train handling...any longer, and they become uncontrolable without DPU (in real life)

Last edited:
Man, getting a 9000 ton train to a decent speed on the level is hard enough, let alone uphill! The heaviest train I've done was a 3000-ish ton iron ore train on Robe River. And long heavy trains also take a hundred years to stop, just whacking the emergency brake on won't help much. A good way of stopping a train quickly: stick a vertical cliff in front of it:hehe:

I know this is an old thread but heres something that helped me on this session that people whp are having trouble can use, as you may have noticed there are different sounds for the speeds, like a real steam loco, you can use these to your advantage and if it sounds like its slowing down use the methods that people have posted before my post to help you.
Also, onthe route, when approcing the tunnel your loco will start to slow down, mine only slowed down to 12mph from 16mph.
-Eno

Back