CPR Heron Bay/Nipigon Subs (in sections - Warning: Large pics [1600 x 1200 pixels])

Looking good Gisa!!

I was wondering where you obtained your DEM and track spline data? I just purchased Trans dem and I've found a few websites with data.

I've found topographical maps of Mississauga and DEM data.

cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,

I'll give you some pointers here but if you get stuck, just send me a PM and I'll try to help you.

To get Canadian DEM data, go here:
http://geobase.ca/geobase/en/find.do?produit=cded

You will have to register at this site so I'd do that first (don't worry it's free) so you can download what you want.

Click on the 1:50,000 ratio and simply single-click where you want to zoom in. Do this until you can't zoom in anymore and simply click on the sections you want to obtain and then click on submit. Click on http:/ and there you go.

Open the file in transDEM (20 M spacing is okay as far as I know). Here is the important part. SAVE this file then close transDEM and reopen it. Even though the file you are opening is a .dem it's not something transDEM automatically recognizes for some reason so you have to open each one, save it and then reopen it again if you want to merge it. Basically you just open each downloaded DEM section you want, open them and save them one by one and then you can merge them together if you'd like. Keep everything you downloaded somewhere safe (annoying to get it back again if you need it for some reason).

Caveat: transDEM can't handle DEMs (combined) over 300 GB of size. Assuming you run windows XP, make sure you have the /3 GB switch in the boot.ini (google this if you don't know about it) but keep it in mind. It is possible to merge larger sections in surveyor, but there are issues with this and it's better to try to merge everything you can in transDEM as opposed to merging in Surveyor (ask me here if you want to know why).

For track spline data go here: http://www.geogratis.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=28954

double-click to zoom in. Try to only get the area you want and then click search available datasets and download. If you use your browsers back button, you will go back to the beginning so zoom up instead. Click on submit a few times (and deselect areas you don't want beforehand). Make sure the format is shape file and there you go.

If you look here: http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/doc/CanVec_feature_catalogue_en.pdf you can get some more info about what vectors you can import. I managed to import rail, road and powerlines into my map. ^^ The rail shape file is _TR_1020009_.shp

This post will help you if you get stuck:
http://forum.uktrainz.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8786&p=115459

I find it easier and more logical to try to use the Web Mapping Server to map the rail lines I want in my map. I import the rail vector and set up the WMS for it (look at the above post for hints). Sometimes, the WMS will complain that it's too complex. If that is the case, open up a new route file, draw a single line over the trackage areas you want mapped, save it, close the first one and then map that. Then, close the last one, reopen the original track vector and just export all of it and you should be good to go! ^^ Reexport for different vectors (after you've opened the map in surveyor) if you plan on importing roads, powerlines, etc...

I haven't had time to work on this (I worked 12 days in a row: a personal record) and I'm trying to figure out how to use TRS '10. I will probably buy a new internal HDD (no room to import all my 30 gigs of content [most of which I don't need but can't find any easy way to do it...] ) and then install 2010 on that. Once I've imported all my stuff and got 2010 working, I will import the route and see how it runs. THEN I'll get back to work on my route. ^^

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Last edited:
I wanted to update what I've been doing with this...

I needed a chance to miss route building and tinkering with 2010 gave me plenty of opportunity to do that. I've given up on correcting something close to 4000 errors for the time being. I want to enjoy my experience: not error correct! ><

The map imported satisfactorily into 2010 and it came out alright except that there are patches of land that have been raised in the lake that weren't raised in 04. I would probably have to examine the immediate area throughout the map in 2010 to see if there were any other errors to be safe. It might have to do with the 5 m grid but those seem like minor errors.

I upgraded my hard drive and thankfully, had backed up my content and maps. The idiot technician managed to delete all of that. >< Anyhow, I reinstalled 04 and the map is fine. I did some work on it last night in redoing the base session (I lost that though) and I decided to change the streets and intersections in Terrace Bay to have a solid line. I have upgraded to a dual core system with a better motherboard and HDD (1 GB less memory but seems to be faster). The only performance hiccups I can forsee are the denser areas (the yard in Schreiber obviously) and through Terrace Bay (which has many houses and a siding/industry).

I also finished placed some track clutter here and there, while tweaking some signage and the invisible speed signals. I will place more in Schreiber but the mainline is pretty much done. I began to place houses as splines in the background in Terrace Bay (I went with tlanders awesome Canadian houses which are perfect for foreground detail - I totally recommend them!). Unfortunately, the splines are of a dense 2 story housing type and I didn't like the look that came out. I decided instead to place basic houses he made (of a higher poly count) of only 3 set types spread out similar to how they would be up there. It's less dense than the spline so hopefully performance won't take a big hit.

There are no maps I can find of this area so I have to fudge it a bit. Thankfully, the tracks go through the northern edge of the town so there isn't too much work to do. I don't plan on spending any time making it too deep from the tracks. Anyhow, the look is alright and I'm designing it at the moment to be independent of season. It looks a bit dense, but nice from the tracks.

I really don't want to do any work in the pulp and paper mill as there isn't much in the way of equipment/buildings for this industry in '04 and it's not my main focus anyhow. Maybe I'll have a change of heart, or maybe I'll take a look at it tonight and add a bit of stuff here and there. We'll see...

Once that's done, it's off to Schreiber which is the last demanding, but for me perhaps the most interesting/fun part. I will perhaps show a screen shot or two of both towns.

I will go about finishing this in 04 and then will consider importing it to 2010 and fixing up the stuff there so perhaps it could run in native mode (or with objects that require simple repairs). We'll see.

Once Schreiber is done, that's it! It'll be off for texturing and foliage! ^^

Gisa ^^

Progressive in all fronts good buddy!

It's always a great habit to keep when upgrading your PC ... I have an external HD which I keep very close to me for such cases ... anyhow good luck with the upgrades and the route!! Anyhow, take care of yourself good buddie!!

Ishie

In case I don't response in a day or two if you do replied is that I don't spend much time in front of a PC these days ... I

Last edited:
I really don't want to do any work in the pulp and paper mill as there isn't much in the way of equipment/buildings for this industry in '04 and it's not my main focus anyhow. Maybe I'll have a change of heart, or maybe I'll take a look at it tonight and add a bit of stuff here and there. We'll see...

Join the club. For months now I've been trying to conjure up a list of content found on the DLS and 3rd party sites.. And there really isn't much of a selection out there. You'll have to do a lot of kit-bashing, and just make due with what ya got.

Progressive in all fronts good buddy!

It's always a great habit to keep when upgrading your PC ... I have an external HD which I keep very close to me for such cases ... anyhow good luck with the upgrades and the route!! Anyhow, take care of yourself good buddie!!

Ishie

In case I don't response in a day or two if you do replied is that I don't spend much time in front of a PC these days ... I

No worries Ishie. I know how family comes first and how life gets in the way sometimes. I find I only have the energy to work on this on the weekends in general.

Join the club. For months now I've been trying to conjure up a list of content found on the DLS and 3rd party sites.. And there really isn't much of a selection out there. You'll have to do a lot of kit-bashing, and just make due with what ya got.

That's what I've been doing for now. I confess I know painfully little about pulp and paper mill operations but what I will do will get a general feel across. I'm more for mainline/yard action anyhow so that'll be my focus.

Three day weekend for me (Budda's birthday) coming up so I should have some time to work on it. ^^

Gisa ^^

Here's some preliminary screenshots. Worked on this for about 5 hours tonight...no textures yet of course but I'm going to work on Schreiber now (and after that, it's ready to be foliaged/textured!).

Seems someone driving west had a passenger with a camera.

Oh what's this? Construction? Awh man...

Highway improvements?

Left lane CLOSED? Oh no...that's going to mean a serious delay.

Better get ready to stop then...

They must have finished the bridge already but I can see a ton of stuff happening in the distance...

Thanks Transportfan! :)

Merge time.

Oh is that a green? :D

Continued ->

Continued ->

Definitely a green! Good stuff! I'm sure there's a huge line of cars on the other side who've been waiting for quite some time.

(Ignore the red car heading - really wish Auran would have made 1 way roads in '04...even using invisible roads and the left turn exploit cars still appear).

15 KPH? Man that's gonna be a slow ride...

I guess this is where the crew's temporary construction office is...

Shot from a construction crew member. Looks like they are just starting the repaving.

Excavators digging out the ditch...probably for a drainage pipe?

Surveyor doing his thing...

Continued - >

Continued ->

Looks like this motor grader is ready to start smoothing out the road ahead.

Looks like they are installing some kind of cable. Internet or power? Can't tell from here. Maybe that's why those excavators were digging out the ditch?

Must be a lonely job...

Looks like they are getting rid of the old asphalt. I thought they used scrapers and took care of it right away? Maybe they had an equipment failure or something...

Yup, I knew there'd be a line of people waiting. Looks like we got lucky as they'll probably send the other lane of traffic through soon.

View from the tracks. I think the trees will block this out in the end but I had a lot of fun making this part.

Gisa ^^

Good news!

I finally finished up the map last night and made a .cdp of it. I realized later that I have to do one two more small, but final things (add some lights to the station and a truck or two to the pulp mill) but that's it!

All that needs to be done now is the texturing and foliage. I will make a post about this as a separate thread in the freeware section (see here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=57679)

If anyone wants to take a stab at adding textures and foliage, please let me know and I will send the .cdp to you. Titaniclover, are you still interested? I would like to see a summer, winter (maybe early winter [light snowfall] and deep winter [deep snow winter]) and fall version of this if possible. I am thinking I would do a deep snow version to start...

Gisa ^^

Wow I haven't been on here in like ever! Not much has changed. :p

I would love to do the texture and foliage, but at the moment I am tied up with school (not very good grades), and some emotional/social problems.
Once regents week in school, which is the next two weeks or so, is over and I get a permanent schedule for work I can definitely work on it. Throw me a email or PM and we can get started. :)

Cheers,
Adam

Last edited:
Glad to see you are still around. :)

I totally and completely understand where you are coming from. I will be taking part time courses now to raise my average (so yeah, focus on your grades for now - trainz will still be here when you get back!). Personal life and family always come first too. Anyhow, whenever you want the .cdp, let me know and I'll send it your way. :)

Gisa ^^

Thanks Transportfan! :)

Great shots, Mark! Cool to see my content in screenshots. But I noticed you used the wrong sign for the river bridge. You want the "River Crossing Sign".

BTW; what's with that other pic with someone elses traffic lights!? :n:

(Just kidding!) Keep up the good work! :Y:

Sorry Andrew, I thought something was odd. I must have mistaken the signs. I liked using them and had them pointing the the rivers downstream direction but I'll look and use the proper signs when I do my last bit of tweaking tonight.

I forgot to put in your lights because while combing through my route for a place to put them, I realized that along the highway, most of the lights are yellow flashers (hint hint :hehe: ) and that any that would change would be out of eye sight of the tracks. That section you see though should use the proper ones so I will sub them in tonight as well. ^^

Gisa ^^

This route is simply amazing Mr. Gisa. I love every bit of it from the lush scenery to the whole road construction bit. It is so cool, keep up the amazing work.

Thanks for the compliment PereMarquette1225fan! You don't have to call me Mr. Gisa, just Gisa would be great. :)

At first I thought you were being sarcastic (lush scenery? :eek: :hehe: ) but I know you are being sincere. I must confess the construction bit was inspired from MikelJ's awesome Route of the Eagle (but I got carried away it seems).

Perhaps I'll show some shots of the yard later but without textures and foliage I feel it's not quite worthy to be shown. Soon though, I will start! :D

Gisa ^^

That construction bit has inspired me to replicate it on my Manchester Northern Railway. Plus, I am a fan of the Canadian Pacific and this is one of my favorite lines owned by the CPR. Keep up the superb work and quality Gisa. The scenery on the baseboards is so realistic. That'd be an incredible sight to see...A Canadian Pacific freight train passing traffic with ease while drivers have to deal with construction. Simply marvelous!

It's interesting. I read a quote somewhere that said all artists are inspired by another. I'm consider myself lucky if I can inspire anyone and I'm glad I inspired you.

I used a DEM to make it, hence the proper mountains and what not. It would be impossible to make without transDEM.

My only worry is that once the trees are in place, it will be hard, if not impossible to see the traffic. Only way to find out is to toss in some trees and what not. :D

I look forward to running some of the finest CPR freeware/payware out there once she's done. :D

Gisa ^^

Did a bit of minor tweaking after the fact but wanted to show a few shots.

Continued ->

Gisa ^^

Continued - >

I decided to do a winter version first. After a deep snowfall in cold weather is the aim. I removed several ponds/small lakes as they'd have froze over and been snowed on top of, removed a few bits of random stuff you wouldn't see under the snow and deleted things that were temporary or seasonal (including the construction as we all know there are only 2 seasons...:hehe: )

Below we see two GP9s leaving the shop and ready to roll after getting some minor repairs. Note the snowed in CP rail trailer in the background.

Tim Horton's...enough said! :D Note the super clean pavement which normally wouldn't be the case but it's a Timmy's!

It's the mid 70's and VIA is still inheriting passenger equipment from CN and CP. Here, we see the Canadian ready to depart from a busy Schreiber yard!

Note the 2 CP sd40f's? getting fuel and sand before they prepare to recouple up back to its consist en route for Montreal.

Continued - >

Gisa ^^

Back