Train Station Creation - Ceiling

Len12

I'm creating a train station and I'm wondering how one creates the mesh or railing ceiling often seen in train stations. Like in the picture below. Any help would be appreciated:

Not sure if I can answer this, but do you mean the canopy? The roof with the glass and the girders and what not? Think you can download parts for that from the DLS, search for "AJS" in the item name. :)

If you are wondering how to make something like that from scratch, as in making your own mesh and exporting it to a .cdp file and uploading it, I couldn't tell you. :confused:

Not sure if I can answer this, but do you mean the canopy? The roof with the glass and the girders and what not? Think you can download parts for that from the DLS, search for "AJS" in the item name. :)

That's exactly it. I have most everything built except I want to add the canopy. Much appreciated for the guidance!

That's exactly it. I have most everything built except I want to add the canopy. Much appreciated for the guidance!

I'm not an expert modeller, but I know that in order to make glass, you need to create alpha channels so that the light can pass through. I think you also need a reflection map so that it looks like glass even though there is no reflections in the program. The color is done using a glass color such as blue, green or some other color with high transparency.

Ajs has created some very nice canopies and station parts so you can kitbash nearly any station you wish.

Hope this helps.

John

I'm not an expert modeller, but I know that in order to make glass, you need to create alpha channels so that the light can pass through. I think you also need a reflection map so that it looks like glass even though there is no reflections in the program. The color is done using a glass color such as blue, green or some other color with high transparency.

Ajs has created some very nice canopies and station parts so you can kitbash nearly any station you wish.

Hope this helps.

John

Err, avoid alpha channels like the plauge, they have some serious rendering issues in Trainz (Except some, which are "sorted" properly, but you have to follow the guidelines of just 3 colours, black, white and one pixel of grey.)

The job could be done differently, I'd use a spline, extrude it, reference the spline for the amount of length required (x amount of metres, using the array tool if neccessary), then use a box and repeat the process. Finally, copy one of the splines, chop out some of the bits and make it the right length.
Add other detailing and the correct materials, (2 in this case) have one as the colour of the roof, one the colour of the glass (with the correct opacity setting), add a UVW map and export.

If someone wants me to tutorialize it, PM me please, it might take a while.

Err, avoid alpha channels like the plauge, they have some serious rendering issues in Trainz (Except some, which are "sorted" properly, but you have to follow the guidelines of just 3 colours, black, white and one pixel of grey.)

The job could be done differently, I'd use a spline, extrude it, reference the spline for the amount of length required (x amount of metres, using the array tool if neccessary), then use a box and repeat the process. Finally, copy one of the splines, chop out some of the bits and make it the right length.
Add other detailing and the correct materials, (2 in this case) have one as the colour of the roof, one the colour of the glass (with the correct opacity setting), add a UVW map and export.

That's a good idea I'll try that. Thanks.

No probs. :)

*snip*

I've done this in Gmax a long while ago but trying to use Blender now, and for someone who's not at all proficient in technical English language it's a down right female dog. :hehe:

Did you use Blender, WEN? If so, I'd be very interested in a tutorial, since I've been eyeing more noise barriers and some station canopies. :confused:

Did you use Blender, WEN? If so, I'd be very interested in a tutorial, since I've been eyeing more noise barriers and some station canopies. :confused:

Nope, the theory is the same however, but the difference is the controls. I use 3DSM mainly, a way outdated version which still works on Vista and Windows 7 (if you tweak it a bit).

I do intend to go into blender in the near future, pending if I can work with the UI, as I hate the UI as it stands.

Yeah, I find it very hard to use: the UI is not at all intuitive, or at least not for a novice user like myself. :confused:

WEN,

Thank you for the clarification. The last time I built something was back in 1994 with 3D Studio Release 4.0 for MS-DOS!

The scene I rendered took 45 minutes with the reflection maps and shadows that were needed to make it look proper.

John

WEN,

Thank you for the clarification. The last time I built something was back in 1994 with 3D Studio Release 4.0 for MS-DOS!

The scene I rendered took 45 minutes with the reflection maps and shadows that were needed to make it look proper.

John

To be honest, both programs focus on polygonal modelling, you have a load of coordinance in "3D space" which the computer draws polys to these coordiance. (vertices)
So, if you can work with that theory and understand how it works, you can use almost any tool (in theory) to create the model. Sometimes, understanding the mathermatical algoitims, would also help to understand the funny effects.

The thing I hate with blender is the uninititive ui, it just doesn't make sense, but I have been harnesssed the max way, which feels slightly more natural to me.

Hello Len12,

Of course you can try making them yourself, but canopies are a part of Andi06's Station kit, AJS for short. If you can't find them on the DLS, get them from Andi's site here.

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam,

Jan

Back