does trs2004 come with content dispatcher??

Frown888

i am just wondering, does trs2004 come with the program that helps you put downloaded files into the game?(sorry, im not sure what it's called) Is it included on the disk?

Hi Frown888,

Yes Trs2004 comes with everything you need to download and upload. If you download with ftp you need content dispatcher to install the download, if you download packs you need TrainzHelper which also comes with TRS004.

Cheers,
Bill69

Content Dispatcher is used to pack content to cdp format to upload to the DLS (or third party sites), it has nothing to do with downloading.

To download the simplest way is via the DLS Download Cart. FTP downloading is also possible, but requires no utility to install, simply double-click the downloaded items. The advantage of the cart is that it will automatically download all dependencies (assuming they are on the DLS). Downloading a single item via FTP is faster than the cart, but if there are dependencies the cart wins every time...

Andy ;)

Content Dispatcher is used to pack content to cdp format to upload to the DLS (or third party sites), it has nothing to do with downloading.
Andy ;)

Andy,
I beg to differ, content dispatcher is required to open and install CDP files that could come in a zip file form sites other than the DLS
Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Lately there have been several threads started, all redundant, all about the topic of "04", and most of them are not even in the 04 thread section.

I also want to know more about 04...but all these multitudes of 04 threads could be grouped in the 04 section uner one 04 thread.

Nobody really gives me the information I need: I have Vista, does 04 work on that OS ?
Some tell me 04 isn't designed to work on anything above XP, BUT that it will work on Vista if you force it to... what iz the real deal with 04 and Vista ? And should I create my route in 04 ?

I have 06 and this was reciently brought to my attention that my 06 route would leave all the 04 used dissapointed: Sethmcs, Billm001, NorfolkSouthern9708...etc...all of which have 04.

I think I need an 04 disk...

Last edited:
Lately there have been several threads started, all redundant, all about the topic of "04", and most of them are not even in the 04 thread section.

I also want to know more about 04...but all these multitudes of 04 threads could be grouped in the 04 section uner one 04 thread.

Nobody really gives me the information I need: I have Vista, does 04 work on that OS ?
Some tell me 04 isn't designed to work on anything above XP, BUT that it will work on Vista if you force it to... what iz the real deal with 04 and Vista ? And should I create my route in 04 ?

I have 06 and this was reciently brought to my attention that my 06 route would leave all the 04 used dissapointed: Sethmcs, Billm001, NorfolkSouthern9307...etc...all of which have 04.

I think I need an 04 disk...

It doesn't matter which version you create in just set the version number on the layout to 2.4 and make sure you only use assets that are 2.4 or lower. TRS2009 can be used to make TRS2004 assets.

Cheerio John

So what you are saying: If I have 06, and create a route in 06, and in my route config file it does in fact say "Trainzbuild 2.4" that all 04 users will be able to download my 06 route, and they will be able to run it in 04 ? And as long as all the track and other assets are 04 they should work ?

Last edited:
So what you are saying: If I have 06, and create a route in 06, and in my route config file it does in fact say "Trainzbuild 2.4" that all 04 users will be able to download my 06 route, and they will be able to run it in 04 ? And as long as all the track and other assets are 04 they should work ?

Correct, I build for TRS2004 in TRS2009 and have previously built in TC3 for TRS2004.

Cheerio John

:eek:

Correct, I build for TRS2004 in TRS2009 and have previously built in TC3 for TRS2004.

Cheerio John
:Y: :clap: :udrool: :mop:

This message is brought to you by sethmcs:hehe:

Last edited:
Andy,
I beg to differ, content dispatcher is required to open and install CDP files that could come in a zip file form sites other than the DLS
Cheers,
Bill69

Bill if the contents of the zip are a 'cdp' simply double click to install. If the contents are uncompressed 'kuid' folders simply drag and drop them into your World\dispatcher\downloads folder and kill the chump. Any TRS04 user should have a chump-deleting batch file on the desktop. If deleting the chump is an issue, keep a cdp for any small asset on the desktop and execute that any time new content is added. Executing a cdp automatically deletes the chump.

Faster and easier than firing up an extra utility....

Andy :)

Hi Andy,

Yes I agree you simply double click to install. But what happens next? Content dispatcher opens to extract the cdp file.
first you get the warning.

firstpage.jpg

Then you get this. what does it say on the title bar?

extract.jpg

If you don't have content dispatcher you will not be able to extract the CDP file.

Cheers,
Bill69

Bill I have been using TRS04 since SP4 came out and I have never had Content Dispatcher open to manually insatall an asset, just double click and in it goes! I see none of the above. I notice though that you are installing that cdp from inside Trainz - I install from the desktop....

Last edited:
Ok, here it is installed from the desktop.

warning.

firstscreen.jpg

Second screen

2ndscreen.jpg

If you don't see these screens content dispatcher must still be running in the background.

Cheers,
Bill

where can i get content manager and content dispatcher from?? Does it come on the trs2004 disk?, or do i have to download them from? If so, where can i download them from?

As I said in the post after your fist question, yes they come with the TRS2004 program disk set.

Cheers,
Bill69

Ok, here it is installed from the desktop.

warning.

Second screen

If you don't see these screens content dispatcher must still be running in the background.

Cheers,
Bill

I must agree with Bill on this one Dermmy. :) Sometimes, installing the .cdp goes very quickly and if you click quickly, you won't see the windows. I've had 04 for 4 + years now and I've had to go through this procedure each and every time I downloaded, unzipped or acquired a .cdp file. If I use the download cart as you said, it will acquire the dependencies and do it automatically for you. Go to the DLS, ftp a .cdp and put it on your desktop. Double click it and the pictures Bill so kindly showed us WILL pop up.

Could also be that if you have another version of trainz installed, the .cdps get put there instead?

Trainz assets manager can create a .cdp but that's totally different as you know.

Using trainz objectz is a WISE idea after you download stuff so it can correct some of the errors that come with .cdps. It takes a long time and can be a PITA but the mistakes it's caught are countless...

On a sidenote, I find it odd that while several of us hardcore 04'ers are thinking of going to '09, that some are actually migrating to 04!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Hi gisa,

I am one of your so called hard core 2004 users. I have just ordered 2009, not received yet, but I will still be using 2004 quite a lot I think.

Cheers,
Bill69

Back