What do you think of trainz 2004?

Frown888

This is just a survey asking people what they think of trainz 2004, and what their favourite train in the game is.:)

I have and still use 2004, I've tried 2006 on a mates PC but I seemed a little unstable and 2009 well I wont bother untill all the bugs are ironed out.

2004 is very reliable and once you know how to use it to its full extent it is very versitile. In my personal opionion it is the best version so far (although I havn't tried TC3 yet)

Can't say what my fav train in game is as I have tooooo many (dispatcher/downloads file is over 100 gig now, think I need to do some serious deleting)

:D

Andy

This is just a survey asking people what they think of trainz 2004, and what their favourite train in the game is.:)

Why not simply read some of the umpty-ump threads already posted on this subject ? You will find your information quickly and be able to make a quick decision ?

Just a thought --- ,DLR

Having tried TRS2006, I much prefer TRS2004 and went back to it a long time ago. Classics and '09 are just variants on '06 and still heading in the wrong direction in terms of how they manage assets (in my op), so I'm sticking with '04.
ticketholdoutpe7.gif

I think it's been off my PC for some time now. It was revolutionary after the last of four (count 'em...four) service packs were installed, but now it's just a sailor's memory of a port'o'call, long ago slipped over the horizon...

Excuse me while I wax poetic...:eek:

Still use 04 as ive never had a problem with anything vanishing and lots of new content is still made that can be used in 04. With the third party developers of software like trainz objectz it is much easier to sort out assets than cmp. Ive a big route and find far to much stuff wont work in later versions because of various errors that need to be corrected.

TRS2004 (SP4) positive features:
Very reliable.
Compatible with numerous high quality assets.
Trees are displayed correctly.
Sound is fully operative.
Compatible with the excellent third party Trainz Objectz asset management program.
Uses kuid folders (simple, fast, reliable) instead of the dreaded CMP (complicated, slow and unreliable).
Supports scenario creation and operation (and driver sessions too).
Includes DCC and CAB control HUD, passenger observation cameras (i.e. cameras inside some rolling stock) and scripted tutorials.
Supports backdrops, long viewing distances and normal mapping.
Doesn't include PaintShed, the monorail or animated junctions built-in but these can be downloaded and installed as desired.
Very inexpensive (under five pounds in Britain).

Disadvantages:
I can't think of any, other than having an old year number in its title.

John

I'm obviously a fan of '04 but would warn of its biggest disadvantage which is is the long loading (and quitting) time if you have a large collection of active assets. The same can be said of Trainzobjectz. So I'm more than conscious of those negatives but still think the advantages, well expressed by John259, outweigh them.

Still do all my route building in 04, tho I run them in 06 because of slightly better frame rates. Tempted to try 09 once the bugs are gone, but only for running, I will still build in 04...

andy :)

All my routes are built in 2004. I bought TC3 and tried that but the CMP thing didn't seem to like me and after a week struggling I gave up with it - and TC3 is supposed to be one of the better variations of Trainz versions for using CMP - goodness only knows what the others are like.

I rarely have problems with 04, somethings, but rarely. Importing assets is a piece of cake, a breeze or as easy as pie (depends where you hail from) so it puzzles me why the next series were made so complicated, to the point even that folk are unable to use the game, I am one of them...
It is a game, maybe we are forgetting that, not a highly professional training simulator and there is no 'expert' behind us to guide us through the host of problems that seem to have developed since CMP(2) came into the equation.

So it's TRS2004 for me, it does all I want/need and it does it very well. A couple of clicks and assets are imported and with TrainzObjects most things that do crop up can be sorted out, thank you Tafweb for that super utility.

Blessings

Angela

I think it's been off my PC for some time now. It was revolutionary after the last of four (count 'em...four) service packs were installed, but now it's just a sailor's memory of a port'o'call, long ago slipped over the horizon...

Excuse me while I wax poetic...:eek:

Don't blame you Ed, after all the time you spent fixing broken content for TRS2006 to turn back to TRS2004 when the content worked just fine would have been a waste of effort.:hehe:

One advantage of TRS2004 is its less picky about the format of content.

I have been using TRS2004 since 10/28/2005 and found no need to upgrade. Great program especially for route builders.:wave:

I went from UTC Edition, to TRS 2004, to TRS 2006, back to 2004, and now I'm back to the 2006 version, but only because my previous computer had a dreaded hard-drive failure (after 6.5 years of almost nothing but MSTS and Trainz) and I could not find my TRS 2004 discs. I will say that I enjoyed TRS 2004 more, simply because it seems like more thought went into the development of it. Each version has its pros and cons, but it seems to me like TRS 2004 is the best of the versions (that I have used.) I do NOT intend on getting any versions of Trainz Classics or Trainz 2009. IF the bugs are resolved, and there is a guarantee that my TRS 2006 content can be imported, I might try the 2009 version. Until then, I see no reason to upgrade, when TRS 2006 adequately meets my needs. I've even considered downgrading to TRS 2004.

Creating routes in 04

See...theres another reason that I should be creating my route on 04, as I am doing it in 06 and Sethmcs won't be able to use it on his USS Johnstown route...unless he has 06 as well ?

Don't blame you Ed, after all the time you spent fixing broken content for TRS2006 to turn back to TRS2004 when the content worked just fine would have been a waste of effort.:hehe:

One advantage of TRS2004 is its less picky about the format of content.

I have been using TRS2004 since 10/28/2005 and found no need to upgrade. Great program especially for route builders.:wave:

2004 is by far my favorite version of Trainz to play. It's easy to get content into (just a few mouse clicks!) and is also the only version that doesn't have any major problems. (06 and the sound problem, and all 09 bugs).

Don't blame you Ed, after all the time you spent fixing broken content for TRS2006 to turn back to TRS2004 when the content worked just fine would have been a waste of effort.

Yeah, you laugh but there is truth in them thar words! I never had the great "rock solid" stability with 2004 that everyone else speaks of, actually I had quite a bit of problems with it! 2006 solved all that for me and I'm one of the rare users that prefer 06 over 04. And over TC1&2. And over TC3. And 2009 Wife Beater Edition!

2004 is by far my favorite version of Trainz to play. It's easy to get content into (just a few mouse clicks!) and is also the only version that doesn't have any major problems. (06 and the sound problem, and all 09 bugs).

Just don't mix content with scripts or it dies. I think that's a fairly major problem.

Cheerio John

What do I think of TRS2004? It was much better that TRS2006 but it loses out when compared with TS2009.

I can understand why people clung to TRS2004 when TRS2006 came out, I was one who did. Having experienced TS2009, TRS2004 seems clunky and slow, and despite the much praised ease of content creation in TRS2004, TS2009 is in fact faster.

TRS2004 is yesterdays program, as DOS was to Windows. That's what I think of TRS2004.

Peter

Back